Programming Astro Spectra Consolette

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tgo

Programming Astro Spectra Consolette

Post by tgo »

I just came into an Astro Spectra (not "Plus") VHF consolette. It has been a while since I programmed my A/S mobile, but I am reminded that the programming cable (30-80369B73) had an ignition sense wire that required 12v+ to be applied to read or write the radio..The instruction book from Motorola has a pictorial diagram of the PC setup that neither shows nor makes mention of this connection, just connecting the cable to accessory jack #3 in the rear of the consolette.
Will it be necessary to apply 12v+dc to the wire on the cable, or is it provided by the consolette?
jry

Re: Programming Astro Spectra Consolette

Post by jry »

it's just a 25 pin D to 25 pin D cable ..pinout is in the cables section IIRC. No ignition
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

You can go to the Batlabs.com site and then go into the mobile radio section to find the programming cable. The Spectra high power cable will work just fine on the Astro Spectra. You can build it yourself with a couple of DB25 connectors. One male and one female. You will need the Motorola RIB to go between the radio and your computer.

The software for the radio will run under Windows.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Whatever you do - never plug the programming cable into the rear DB25 ports on the consolette. Always pop the top and program the radio directly! Your wallet will thank you for a lesson learned not the hard way.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
tgo

Post by tgo »

Thanks, everyone. I recognize the cable from the schematic; I made one once for a high power Spectra. Now to find it!
tgo

Post by tgo »

Alex, many thanks for keeping me from a serious mistake. The manual confirms your message about connecting to the radio.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Either/both Spectra programming cables will work on an Astro Spectra installed as a consolette when connected directly to the brick as previously stated. No ignition sense 12V is needed when using the rear accessory cable.
tgo

Post by tgo »

Thanks, all! AS consolette is now successfully read and ready for re-programming.

Return to “Radio Programming”