OT Dispatch Clocks

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

tuckerm

OT Dispatch Clocks

Post by tuckerm »

I'm having a heck of a time finding a 24 hour, digital LED, atomic clock for a reasonable price. Those of you who do dispatch installs, do you have any suggestions?
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
xmo

Re: OT Dispatch Clocks

Post by xmo »

Dispatch clock? We have no clocks in dispatch. All the computers have time sync'd to a master netclock. Dispatchers use CAD time for everything.

That said, if you want a clock that for sure will show the same time as CAD, get one from your netclock vendor, for example:

https://spectracom.com/products-service ... e-displays
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

brgprecision.com

These are what we use and we've had great luck. Never inexpensive, as you get what you pay for. Their list of customers is impressive...just about every nation on earth, every US federal department in existence, plus just about every state and local government, including 911 centers.

On a personal note...they're five miles down the road from us, so we like picking our stuff up from the factory directly and we're super-spoiled on walk-in service (in the rare event we need it).

Give them a try.

- Jeff
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

Our entire center was tied to a Spectracom master clock. CAD, radio, phone system, wall displays, computers, master recording systems, main frame, and more all took their time sync from the Spectracom master. Probably not an inexpensive solution, but in the long run, having everything show the same time all the time pays off especially since CAD and recordings are used in court nearly every day.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

I should mention, this is going into a Command Post, not a dispatch center. Just looking for something to mount on the wall and when power is turned on to the command post the clock syncs with the NIST Atomic Signal from Colorado.
Schrodinger's Radio: It is simultaneously too loud and too quiet, but you will never know which until someone transmits.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Look for "atomic clock". Common item that syncs off the NIST in Boulder. Target sells them, or you can get them online.

http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/produ ... tomic-time
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Those do not do 24 hour time nor are most of them large to mount on the wall for everyone to see.
SteveC0625
What radios do you own?: CDM's, CP's, CM's, and more

Post by SteveC0625 »

I did a quick google search on "large atomic clock" without the quotes. This popped up. It's 12/24 & battery powered. There were others.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/La-Crosse-Te ... /300430219
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

SteveC0625 wrote:I did a quick google search on "large atomic clock" without the quotes. This popped up. It's 12/24 & battery powered. There were others.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/La-Crosse-Te ... /300430219
Yeah. That one was on the link to LaCrosse that I provided too, but he apparently didn't notice it.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Here's what I'm looking for: http://image.made-in-china.com/43f34j00 ... rs-Min.jpg

24 hour clock, AC powered, but syncs with the Atomic signal. So far, I cannot find one that's decently priced.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Well, you could always bubba a wall wart DC supply on one of the LaCrosse clocks.
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Bill, I don't think the LaCrosse clocks have a 24 hour, LED, Atomic clock.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Absolutely, positively has to be LED, eh?
tuckerm

Post by tuckerm »

Yup!
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Well, there are project kits out there. Tell whomever is driving the Flintstone car at your shop to start running faster so you can find a suitable one.

(big grin) I have been up against ridunkulus admins before, and when they get their heart set on something, even when it's stupid, you have to fulfill their stupid wish. You know, like speakers on everyone's desk, but it can't be a streaming server that could be heard over their PC speakers - it has to be a wired speaker on every desk, and it shouldn't cost very much. He was thinking no more than $200 because his amateur buddy told him. So, I told him to award the contract to his friend, and let us know how it went when it's done. I also advised the facilities manager to verify the friend's low voltage license before letting him proceed.

The project never got off the ground.
resqroz
New User

Post by resqroz »

At the TV station that I work at we use clocks from a company called ESE. Here is what you are looking for but they aren't cheap.
http://www.ese-web.com/public_safety.htm
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

tuckerm wrote:I should mention, this is going into a Command Post, not a dispatch center. Just looking for something to mount on the wall and when power is turned on to the command post the clock syncs with the NIST Atomic Signal from Colorado.
Just a note on this. If you get a clock that is going in a (mobile?) command post and you want it synced with NIST Boulder, Colo., you may run into three problems. (1) the vehicle or trailer it is in is probably all metal which under the best circumstances would make it difficult to receive the VLF sync signal from the mothership. (2) If you were able to attain a signal, these clocks normally do not go into auto-synch until around 0100 local when the propagation is most favorable. Even with a manual command to synchronize, propagation is at best unreliable until both your location and Boulder Colo are in the dark. (3) depending on what other equipment is in this trailer, it may interfere with the clock's ability to hear and lock on the sync signal. I had some LED "fluorescent" bulbs in my basement. When I went to bed and left them on, the "atomic clock" in my bedroom upstairs would show it did not sync overnight.

Andy
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

tuckerm wrote:I'm having a heck of a time finding a 24 hour, digital LED, atomic clock for a reasonable price. Those of you who do dispatch installs, do you have any suggestions?
If after considering all the comments and suggestions it still has to be an LED atomic clock, you might check this out. Just my opinion but it "looks" like something that would belong in a command post.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MUC9TJ9/re ... 2770224698

Andy
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Andy Corbin wrote:
tuckerm wrote:I'm having a heck of a time finding a 24 hour, digital LED, atomic clock for a reasonable price. Those of you who do dispatch installs, do you have any suggestions?
If after considering all the comments and suggestions it still has to be an LED atomic clock, you might check this out. Just my opinion but it "looks" like something that would belong in a command post.

Andy
Read the reviews. Looks great, but operation is caveat emptor.
Andy Corbin

Post by Andy Corbin »

Bill_G wrote:
Andy Corbin wrote:

Andy
Read the reviews. Looks great, but operation is caveat emptor.
You're right. I didn't scroll down to read any reviews. I probably wouldn't buy one. Crappy performance but still looks cool. :)

Andy
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

Does your command post have network connectivity? If so you can still use a NTP clock, just point it back to one of the many public NTP servers.

Our MCP uses one of these connected back to our Spectracom GPS reference via VPN to the department LAN over a Verizon 4G (Sierra Wireless) modem.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

Andy Corbin wrote: You're right. I didn't scroll down to read any reviews. I probably wouldn't buy one. Crappy performance but still looks cool. :)

Andy
Indeed. It hit all the right marks: AC power, large LED, atomic clock, and price point. Unfortunately, it has problems. When a product fits all other criteria, that's when I go through the reviews, which could all be utter BS submitted by their competition, or a troll. If the date stamps are spread out, they seem more authentic to me, and I give them a little more weight.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”