Difference between a RICK and $15 repeater interface?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

Difference between a RICK and $15 repeater interface?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

For a very simple carrier or PL accessed repeater, whats the difference between a real Motorola RICK and a $15 interface?

Is a $15 repeater interface doing an identical job as a RICK when you just want a very basic repeater...and the RICK is expensive as it also enables more sophisticated repeater operation such as TXing callsigns, repeater time out etc?
Bill_G

Re: Difference between a RICK and $15 repeater interface?

Post by Bill_G »

It falls in the category of you-get-what-you-pay-for.

The low cost "interfaces" are usually just wires and connectors to (maybe) correctly join two like mobile radios to make a repeater.

The RICK was for the professional market, and filled the niche between a McGuiver cable, and a community repeater panel.

The task can be accomplished with some basic electronics knowledge (ie: the low cost "interface") because the control circuits required already exist in the mobile. All you are doing is connecting them together in the right way. But, you have no control. You can't set levels. You can't intercept them with a button to break the connection if needed. The more sophisticated the interface device, the more you can do, and the more it will cost.

Hence you-get-what-you-pay-for. $15 for someone to make a cable for you ain't bad especially if it works, and gets the job done.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
I too have used the RICK and well what was posted above is true.
How ever I myself thought the RICK was a bit spendy and really majority of its abilities my end users could care less.
I tried a few of the ebay repeater cables on GM300 narrow banders and got the one you could set the retransmitted audios volume and it worked so well that I now carry them in stock for putting repeaters together.
Havent had any issues with them yet so been good 2 years and still operating fine.
Satelite
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

RICK incorporates TX hang time, audio impedance and level matching, switchable bi-directional or single direction repeat, and breaks out TX and RX connections into a 3rd accessory port. If your $15 repeater interface does all that...

Probably the most critical function is the audio matching and level adjustment. In addition to sounding trashy (HUGE personal peeve with ham and GMRS repeaters) imbalanced audio could push your TX deviation out of allowed limits.
g8tzl2004

Post by g8tzl2004 »

Thanks for all the helpful feedback

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”