CDM1550 Remote Head Issue

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

geonerdist
New User

CDM1550 Remote Head Issue

Post by geonerdist »

I tried searching this forum and could not find anyone discussing this issue. I know someone that has a CDM1550 and recently purchased a remote kit. The radio functioned perfectly without the remote kit installed. Now the head does not function correctly, the speaker works but the buttons and screen do not. After disassembling the head and applying pressure to the board, it comes back to life. This sounds common due to the design of this head. Does anyone know of ways to permanently fix it? Thanks!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: CDM1550 Remote Head Issue

Post by escomm »

Sounds like maybe it wasn't properly installed. The symptoms are indicative of the CH PCB not being properly seated and the compression contacts not making full contact. Ensure the tabs on the PCB are properly aligned with the grooves in the housing
geonerdist
New User

Post by geonerdist »

escomm wrote:Sounds like maybe it wasn't properly installed. The symptoms are indicative of the CH PCB not being properly seated and the compression contacts not making full contact. Ensure the tabs on the PCB are properly aligned with the grooves in the housing

So it sounds like the remote kit should have came with some replacement clips. I don't see a way to re-use the clips that were for the dash-mount configuration.
geonerdist
New User

Post by geonerdist »

escomm wrote:Sounds like maybe it wasn't properly installed. The symptoms are indicative of the CH PCB not being properly seated and the compression contacts not making full contact. Ensure the tabs on the PCB are properly aligned with the grooves in the housing
Now that I have had a chance to take a working CDM with remote head apart I see what you mean by the tabs on the PCB not being properly aligned with the housing. I'm trying to troubleshoot this radio via Slack, so I haven't actually been able to get my hands on it. Does anyone else have any other suggestions?
jackhackett

Post by jackhackett »

The board just kind of snaps into the head, then the remote kit adapter should hold it in place. It can be a bit tricky the first time you do one, the board will sometimes pop out a bit when you try to put the head onto the remote kit or the radio. You have to makes sure the board is seated all the way, then I find it helps to squeeze the control head slightly as you press the head and adapter together.

One other problem with the remote kits is that sometimes the solder lugs on the speaker can short out to the circuit board. There's very little clearance between the lugs and the board so I always put some insulation on the remote kit board to keep it from touching. If it does short, the radio chassis will become quite hot and the radio can be damaged.
geonerdist
New User

Post by geonerdist »

jackhackett wrote:The board just kind of snaps into the head, then the remote kit adapter should hold it in place. It can be a bit tricky the first time you do one, the board will sometimes pop out a bit when you try to put the head onto the remote kit or the radio. You have to makes sure the board is seated all the way, then I find it helps to squeeze the control head slightly as you press the head and adapter together.

One other problem with the remote kits is that sometimes the solder lugs on the speaker can short out to the circuit board. There's very little clearance between the lugs and the board so I always put some insulation on the remote kit board to keep it from touching. If it does short, the radio chassis will become quite hot and the radio can be damaged.
Thanks, I'll take a look.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Also keep in mind the spacer that is present in the dash configuration is aside and not used in the remote configuration.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”