6550 Emergency Acknowledge

Moderator: Queue Moderator

fchrist16
What radios do you own?: Desktrac, XTL/XTS's & XPR's

6550 Emergency Acknowledge

Post by fchrist16 »

I can't find if this has been asked before...Does anyone know how to "acknowledge/clear" an emergency call TO a XPR6550? Sometimes the local transit system drivers hit the emergency button when I'm listening. The only way to CLEAR the alert is to reboot the radio, which seems crazy. Anyone got a better solution?

Regards,

-Frank C.
fchrist16

Re: 6550 Emergency Acknowledge

Post by fchrist16 »

Bump...Anyone got any ideas on this?

Regards,

-Frank C.
MSS-Dave
What radios do you own?: XTL5K, NX300, PD782, Spark Gap

Post by MSS-Dave »

fchrist16 wrote:Bump...Anyone got any ideas on this?

Regards,

-Frank C.
I don't have one of these but you could knock down emergency on the XTS line by pressing and holding the programned emergency button for 2 or 3 seconds. It may depend on how the long press function is programmed on the 6550 button though.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

The receiving radio has to be able to acknowledge the emergency.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

MSS-Dave wrote:
fchrist16 wrote:Bump...Anyone got any ideas on this?

Regards,

-Frank C.
I don't have one of these but you could knock down emergency on the XTS line by pressing and holding the programned emergency button for 2 or 3 seconds. It may depend on how the long press function is programmed on the 6550 button though.
Holding down my emergency button for that long will trigger an emergency alert to go out. That is not what I want.

Regards,

-Frank C.
com501 wrote:The receiving radio has to be able to acknowledge the emergency.
Yes, that is the the "how" here...How does the 6550 acknowledge the emergency...? :o

Regards,

-Frank C.
n1gtl
What radios do you own?: XPR5550, XPR7550e

Post by n1gtl »

Just disable it. Select the channel and on the RX side there is a check box that reads "Emergency Alarm Indication". If you uncheck it, your radio should not receive the emergency.

From the help file:
Emergency Alarm Indication
Determines if audio and visual indication is given by the radio when an emergency alarm is received. If the checkbox is unchecked, the radio displays nothing when it receives an emergency alarm. This is a channel-wide feature.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

n1gtl wrote:Just disable it. Select the channel and on the RX side there is a check box that reads "Emergency Alarm Indication". If you uncheck it, your radio should not receive the emergency.

From the help file:
Emergency Alarm Indication
Determines if audio and visual indication is given by the radio when an emergency alarm is received. If the checkbox is unchecked, the radio displays nothing when it receives an emergency alarm. This is a channel-wide feature.
I have to see the alarms, but I want to be able to reset the feature AFTER each alarm goes off. There's a daily test of the emergency feature locally, so it's needed.

Regards,

-Frank C.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

fchrist16 wrote:...Does anyone know how to "acknowledge/clear" an emergency call TO a XPR6550?
According to the XPR6550 user manual:

When receiving an Emergency Alarm:
1 Press any button to stop all Emergency Alarm received indications.
2 Hold the radio vertically 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5.0 cm) from your mouth.
If the Channel Free Indication feature is enabled, you will hear a short alert tone the moment the transmitting radio releases the PTT button, indicating the channel is now available for use.
3 Press PTT button to transmit non-emergency voice to the same group that the Emergency Alarm was targeted to. The LED lights up solid green. Your radio remains in the Emergency mode.
4 Wait for the Talk Permit Tone to finish (if enabled) and speak clearly into the microphone.
OR
Wait for the PTT Sidetone to finish (if enabled) and speak clearly into the microphone.
5 Release the PTT button to listen. When the emergency initiating radio responds, the LED blinks green. You see the Group Call icon, the group ID, and transmitting radio ID on your display.
6 Once your call ends, press (BACK/HOME BUTTON), then press Emergency Off button immediately to clear the Emergency Call received indications and exit Emergency mode.
7 The radio returns to the Home screen.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

RFguy wrote:
fchrist16 wrote:...Does anyone know how to "acknowledge/clear" an emergency call TO a XPR6550?
According to the XPR6550 user manual:

When receiving an Emergency Alarm:
1 Press any button to stop all Emergency Alarm received indications.
2 Hold the radio vertically 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5.0 cm) from your mouth.
If the Channel Free Indication feature is enabled, you will hear a short alert tone the moment the transmitting radio releases the PTT button, indicating the channel is now available for use.
3 Press PTT button to transmit non-emergency voice to the same group that the Emergency Alarm was targeted to. The LED lights up solid green. Your radio remains in the Emergency mode.
4 Wait for the Talk Permit Tone to finish (if enabled) and speak clearly into the microphone.
OR
Wait for the PTT Sidetone to finish (if enabled) and speak clearly into the microphone.
5 Release the PTT button to listen. When the emergency initiating radio responds, the LED blinks green. You see the Group Call icon, the group ID, and transmitting radio ID on your display.
6 Once your call ends, press (BACK/HOME BUTTON), then press Emergency Off button immediately to clear the Emergency Call received indications and exit Emergency mode.
7 The radio returns to the Home screen.
Thank you. I will have to try that out tomorrow morning.

Regards,

-Frank C.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Nope, that did not clear the notification on either the 4550 or the 6550...The red light and emergency icon are still active.

Regards,

-Frank C.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

Is the "Emergency Alarm Ack" enabled under the channel setup?
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Yes it is.

Regards,

-Frank C.
n1gtl

Post by n1gtl »

fchrist16 wrote:Yes it is.

Regards,

-Frank C.
Uncheck this box! That box means that the radio is capable of acknowledging an emergency. If your radio does that, a console, control station or other radio may never receive the emergency.

Emergency Alarm Ack
Determines if the radio is allowed to acknowledge an emergency alarm. This is a channel-wide feature.

Notes
It is recommended that only a single radio on the group be programmed to acknowledge emergency alarms. This check box should typically only be checked on the dispatchers radio.

The Emergency Alarm Indication feature must be enabled.

This feature is applicable to MOTOTRBO Conventional radios for Display model only.
n1gtl

Post by n1gtl »

fchrist16 wrote:I can't find if this has been asked before...Does anyone know how to "acknowledge/clear" an emergency call TO a XPR6550? Sometimes the local transit system drivers hit the emergency button when I'm listening. The only way to CLEAR the alert is to reboot the radio, which seems crazy. Anyone got a better solution?

Regards,

-Frank C.
OK....I'll probably regret this but WHY do you need to receive the emergency? If you are employed by this agency, they should have a vendor capable of programming your radio the right way as well as instructing you the proper button combination to clear an emergency (which there is). As such, they are who you should be contacting for instructions. If you are monitoring this system as a listener, you should not be screwing around with acknowledgements in the programming as it is clear you do not know how it functions and may inadvertently acknowledge an emergency causing a dispatcher/console to not receive it. Programming your radio to acknowledge an emergency (which you indicate you have done), may put a person in a true emergency, at risk.

I'm not going to add responses to this thread.
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

Guys, calm down with the "WHY" stuff. This is MY SYSTEM that I am installing myself. I am not new to Motorola obviously, but this escapes my grasp. I'm used to "older" radios, such as the XTS/XTL lines and older. XPR series radios I've only used for amateur radio, until now. As it is, this is an ANALOG system.

I know and heed the concerns, but seriously...

Regards,

-Frank C.
TreyH

Post by TreyH »

I'm wondering if the 'ack' works at all. I admin a system of about 300 XPR's and never got it to work correctly. Our dispatch consoles run Telex C-Soft and we've never got the 'ack' function to work correctly on those either. It's been about 6 years since we've tried though; current firmware may work now, we just sort of gave up on it and told everyone to power cycle the radios once the emergency was validated/over :).
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

TreyH wrote:I'm wondering if the 'ack' works at all. I admin a system of about 300 XPR's and never got it to work correctly. Our dispatch consoles run Telex C-Soft and we've never got the 'ack' function to work correctly on those either. It's been about 6 years since we've tried though; current firmware may work now, we just sort of gave up on it and told everyone to power cycle the radios once the emergency was validated/over :).
Thanks! That's just what I have to do every time and it becomes annoying at times...

Regards,

-Frank C.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

fchrist16 wrote:Guys, calm down with the "WHY" stuff. This is MY SYSTEM that I am installing myself.
fchrist16 wrote:Does anyone know how to "acknowledge/clear" an emergency call TO a XPR6550? Sometimes the local transit system drivers hit the emergency button when I'm listening.
It just didn't sound like it was "your" system the way you described it.

Being the local regional transit system, and the master emergency radio is only "sometimes listening" to it, maybe you should deprogram the emergency function in the buses. You wouldn't want a transit driver to press the emergency button expecting a response and no one is listening.

Just sayin'
fchrist16

Post by fchrist16 »

There is ALWAYS someone listening, it just isn't always me...

Regards,

-Frank C.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”