Maxtrac Trunking 900mhz for repeater use

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Kb0hnr

Post by Kb0hnr »

Hello,

I have a box of the Trunking Maxtracs. Is there someway to get one simplex/coventional channel in these radios?

If not, I guess the firmware change is what needs to take place. Since the GTXs and now Spectras appear to move, maybe the box should go to ebay.

Any help to change out the firmware would also be appreciated.

Thanks
Kurt
KB0HNR
xmo

Post by xmo »

Some of the trunked units will also do one or more conventional channels, but I never had any luck with the MAXTRACS RSS letting me put in ham freqs like the regular RSS will (with the shift trick) on a non-trunked radio. Maybe somebody else has conuered this.

Changing the firmware is easy enough, but you need the LAB RSS to blank the logic board, and you really need test equipment to realign the radio. On the plus side, the filters are available for the Maxtrac receiver so it will receive at the low end of the band (repeater receiver) whereas the Spectra will receive fine at 927.xxxx with the filters it comes with, but I have not seen any replacements to let the Spectra receive in other parts of the band. This same reason is also why Maxtracs are good for folks in areas that still use the old ARRL band plan.

Are you going to the St.Joe hamfest? Friends of mine and I have gone the last few years (hope they don't do the Armory again). We have used our 900 portables for on site comm. We could coordinate a freq with you if you'll be there.

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”