What is this board? (found in 900MHz Spectra)

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n1pfc

What is this board? (found in 900MHz Spectra)

Post by n1pfc »

HLN6150A

I found it in there and it looks like it is an option, but I'm not sure.

It's on the same board as the MLM.

The radio does have a scan button on the front of it.

Any ideas? I'm wondering because this radio will be used as a link radio and if it's an option someone needs, I'd like to re-cap some of my costs on this radio.

Thanks,
Kurt
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

without looking up the part #, I am guessing that it is a hear clear board, that is the most common extra board to find in one of those radio's.

SG
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

HLN6150A

Post by Hartley »

Hi,

SpectraGod is right - that is the HearClear (audio compander) board. It is "stock" in all 900 Spectras (which are also the only 2.5 kHz "barrowband" Spectra versions).

73 DE Hartley
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

Ok. great! At least I know what they are now. I think I'll make them into key chains unless someone has a real use for them.

Either that or I'll actually use them. Depends on what the audio sound like. There are going to be spectras at each end, so I could actually use the audio options. Of course I don't want people sounding like donald duck across the link. =)

Thanks again,
Kurt
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

HearClear

Post by Hartley »

Hi Kurt,

If you have Spectras at both ends, I would leave them in - they definitely improve the audio if both ends use it. We tend not to use HearClear (it can be turned on & off in the RSS) on the repeaters because not everyone has it available - but for a link, it would make sense. Also, just removing the board may cause the radio to have an error condition. (dunno - never tried it)

73 DE Hartley
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

Ok I just tried pulling the board out for ha ha's. Looks like either the radio doesn't care or all of the conventional channels that are programmed in it don't have it turned on. The radio fired up just fine.

I can't really check wether it's enabled on the trunked channels as the trunking system this was on will never be heard here in MA (radio is from AZ)

Kurt
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

Hearclear Board

Post by Hartley »

Hi Kurt,

So it had both transmit and receive audio?

I just looked at the board in the manual, and it also contains the DTMF decoder.. if that is of interest. Also, it looks like it won't be involved if Hearclear is turned off as far as the audio paths are concerned - audio path switching appears to take place on the main Command board.

73 DE Hartley
n1pfc

Post by n1pfc »

TX audio, yes, RX audio I'm not sure as I only have one of these right now and don't have anything that transmits up there =). I hopefully will soon though.

Kurt

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”