ONSTAR VIU needed.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N2ZPY

ONSTAR VIU needed.

Post by N2ZPY »

I have been looking around for an ONSTAR unit in a wrecked vehicle for a while and have had no luck. I am looking to use it for APRS. If anybody has one laying around or knows where one can be found cheap I am interested. I found a site the other day that details how to tap into your onstar unit and have your coordinates sent to your laptop serial port. http://members.cox.net/onstar

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

Sweet!!

Good find. This is another project for my Impala this summer :) 'Bout time my Onstar box did something functional!

I'm surprised you can't find a wrecked GM with Onstar.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

GPS

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

I, would get one of the cheap GPS units.
Delorme earthmate comes to mind, the "old" model that only puts out serial, and not USB, can be had for under $10.00.
I bought 2 of them at clearance at one of the nationwide office suppy places a while back, with the software, for a ten spot a piece.
I have a military trimble trimpack that I paid all of $50.00 for, complete with the carry pouch.
Trimpacks are now obsolete, you will need to readdress the unit to non-military GPS, not hard to do, but you will need a PC to do this.
Some of the new cellular telephones have GPS built-in, you address this in test mode on motorola product.
Dale Earnhardt

Post by Dale Earnhardt »

oooooo, some new stuff to play with, finally the onstar is good for something and almost free hehe
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

If you decide...

Post by kc7gr »

...to get a new GPS receiver, keep in mind that WAAS is coming. You should, if you want high accuracy without the need for a separate DBS receiver, check that any new unit you get is WAAS-enabled.

I have reason to believe that WAAS is already working in the Seattle region. I replaced the receiver in the TechMobile with a WAAS-enabled unit, and noticed an immediate improvement in my HDOP & VDOP numbers.

73 de KC7GR
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
N2ZPY

Post by N2ZPY »

WAAS ???

Kevin
ricciticcitembo

Post by ricciticcitembo »

The Wide Area Augmentation System (WAAS) is a critical component of the FAA’s strategic objective of a seamless satellite navigation system for civil aviation. This system will improve the accuracy, availability, and integrity of GPS thereby improving the capacity and safety currently provided by the National Airspace System. Ultimately, WAAS will allow GPS to be used as a primary means of navigation from takeoff through Category I precision approach.

Unlike traditional ground-based navigation aids, WAAS will cover a more extensive service area. Wide area ground reference stations (WRS) have been linked to form a U.S. WAAS network. Signals from GPS satellites are received by these precisely surveyed ground reference stations and any errors in the signals are identified. Each station in the network relays the data to one of two wide area master stations (WMS) where correction information for specific geographical areas is computed. A correction message is prepared and uplinked to a geostationary communications satellite (GEO) via a ground uplink station (GUS).

WAAS and its Relation to Enabled Hand-Held GPS Receivers
(26 Feb. 2003)
Statement from the FAA
WAAS is based on a network of approximately 25 ground reference stations
that covers a very large service area. Signals from GPS satellites are received by
wide area ground reference stations (WRSs). Each of these precisely surveyed
reference stations receive GPS signals and determine if any errors exist. These
WRSs are linked to form the U.S. WAAS network. Each WRS in the network
relays the data to the wide area master station (WMS) where correction
information is computed. The WMS calculates correction algorithms and assesses
the integrity of the system. A correction message is prepared and uplinked to a
geosynchronous satellite via a ground uplink system (GUS). The message is then
broadcast from the satellite on the same frequency as GPS (L1, 1575.42MHz) to
receivers on board aircraft (or hand-held receivers) which are within the broadcast
coverage area of the WAAS. These communications satellites also act as additional
navigation satellites for the aircraft, thus, providing additional navigation signals for
position determination.

The WAAS will improve basic GPS accuracy to approximately 7 meters vertically
and horizontally, improve system availability through the use of geostationary
communication satellites (GEOs) carrying navigation payloads, and to provide
important integrity information about the entire GPS constellation.

At present there are two geo-stationary satellites serving the WAAS area (Inmarsat IIIs: POR (Pacific Ocean Region) and AOR-W (Atlantic Ocean Region-West).
Last edited by ricciticcitembo on Wed Jun 04, 2003 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
N2ZPY

Post by N2ZPY »

Kevin
CPD534

Post by CPD534 »

Hi, This sounds like a very cool idea. I'm not very familliar with the OnStar system or anything but if you got a unit out of a wrecked vehicle woudn't OnStar still think that it was in that vehichle and would this do any damage? I know when you call them from your unit they know your name and information and such so would it have to be deactivated or anything?

Thanks, Kevin
N2ZPY

Post by N2ZPY »

The VIU unit would only be used to pull GPS data from and would no longer be used as "ONSTAR". The GPS data would then be sent out over 144.390 Mhz to a digipeater and on to the rest of the world. Check out http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html for some more info.

Kevin
N2ZPY
CPD534

Post by CPD534 »

Oh ok. I think I understand now. Just to see if I got it straight: When you have the VIU it is used to receive the GPS data and since the other piece of equipment used on ONSTAR isn't hooked up it will not transmit any data to the company. Correct? I was just curious about this since I didn't want to try it and it be transmitting data to OnStar and get into some kind of trouble.

Another thing...Aside from APRS can this be set up to a laptop with some sort of mapping software to show where you are on a given road and such, like the actuall GPS units?
N2ZPY

Post by N2ZPY »

You betchya !

Laptop, Palm, etc

Kevin
CPD534

Post by CPD534 »

Allright. What kind of software is needed and for mapping and how would I get ahold of it?

One more thing..Does the unit receive constantly or what

Thanks, Kevin W4EKG
N2ZPY

Post by N2ZPY »

I believe if you click on the link in my first post there is software from Motorola available. The onstar unit would be recieving all the time if you were looking at it on a map or with APRS the unit can be polled when you are going to report your position.

Kevin
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Onstar

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

The cellular telephone is a CDPD unit.
This unit uses the GM D bus, same as the radio, EEM, ARPU, etc.
I think it would be really neat to reprogram the EEM unit to display GPS on the radio, remember, D bus can support 3 EEMs at the same time.
D bus, Delco bus, is somewhat related to CAN bus,
http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/aldl8192/8192hw.htm
Lets get cracking!, We should be able to have something by the end of summer.
werdnuts
Batboard $upporter

Post by werdnuts »

Finally a use for my stupid onstar! Great post!

-werdnuts
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

I use the factory built-in GPS unit on my Mercedes SL500 and have it tied into my Kenwood D700 for APRS. Works like a champ!

Larry
What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

Post by 007 »

werdnuts wrote:Finally a use for my stupid onstar! Great post!

-werdnuts
No sh$t, huh??? :o I even took off the glass mount antenna, and I am using an NMO mount 800 stick....looks better.

Lets get a working group together and do this....it is a great project.
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
werdnuts
Batboard $upporter

Post by werdnuts »

sure. i have yet to tackle it, but it would be pretty cool.

I have debated using the dualband ant for either my nextel or the 800 radio in my vehicle...

i certainly would like to know more about abusing my onstar box! I have an '02 trailblazer and dont even know where the damn thing is.
N2ZPY

Post by N2ZPY »

I have given up on finding an onstar unit and bought 2 Motorola Oncore boards to play around with. I will get some pics up when the project gets under way.

Kevin
CPD534

Post by CPD534 »

No OnStar units to be found around here. How do you go about getting the needed boards and how much do they cost?
N2ZPY

Post by N2ZPY »

I ended up getting 2 Motorola Oncore boards off of ebay for $63 shipped. I am just working on getting the active antennas for them now and will see what I can put together. If you jsut do a search for Motorola Oncore on ebay you will turn up a couple of these units. They only have a TTL output and do need a simple circuit to convert that to serial that can be used.

Kevin

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”