Motorola PURC question??

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

FMROB

Motorola PURC question??

Post by FMROB »

Hi, Just asking a stupid question here....I see alot of PURC equipment hanging around, which I assume is some paging equipment. I also see that the commonly have a 72 mhz reciever and tx I guess for some sort of link system. My buddy says he has the option to buy a VHF model. My question is can they be made into a repeater of any sort, and do they come in UHF...Thanks, Rob
xmo

Post by xmo »

"...My question is can they be made into a repeater of any sort, and do they come in UHF..."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes and yes.

Now that your two questions are answered, here are answers to questions you didn't ask.

PURC - a Motorola nomenclature derived from:

P = paging, U = universal, R = remote, C = control.

PURC defines an expanded utilization of tone remote control to allow for simulcast paging, zoned paging, transmitter knockdown, etc. It was first introduced on the Micor platform - so technically a PURC station would be a Micor.

Since the paging business is one way - these stations don't have a receiver in the usual sense [a receiver that feeds audio back down a line to a comm center - or a receiver that makes the station into a repeater.

They are often equipped with link receivers - either 72 MHz or 900. This allows paging information to be transmitted from a common point [where the paging terminal is] to one or more remotely located transmitters. The PURC control sequences select which transmitter or transmitters will activate for a particular transmission.

These link receivers connect to their own antenna and provide 600 ohm audio to the station control shelf - essentially a replacement for leased telephone control lines.

Since the PURC stations were based on the then current base station platform, when the MSF5000 came out - so did a new PURC - the PURC5000. At first these had an expanded version of the same control tray as the original MSF. Therefore, like the MSF, these PURC5000 stations program with the R1800.

Later, the PURC5000 stations came with 'Advanced Contol'. These are front panel programmable for all operating parameters including frequency. Advanced control also supported a new format offering more versatility than the PURC format - Digital Remote Control. This uses MDC packets to do its magic.

For use as a ham repeater - they are ideal. Most hams want to use an external controller anyway. Since the PURC is just a transmitter - you don't have to remove any factory repeater capability. Since the link receivers are stand alone - they can also be easily interfaced to the external controller. Better yet - all these link receivers [even the ones in the PURC5000's] use Micor RF boards. So if you want to make a UHF repeater out of a UHF PURC and it came with a 72 MHz link receiver - just buy an UHF Micor mobile and rob the receiver board out of it.
FMROB

Post by FMROB »

Awesome, Thanks for the help...I am going to start looking around for some purc equipment.....Here is another couple of questions, if you guys don't mind...

So basically all you have to do, if you have a uhf purc with a 72 mhz link, all you basically have to do is get a micor mobile and plug it in and you have a repeater....Do you have to add the controller, and is it easy to interface....You would obviously have to have it recrystalled and tuned...

Also, Lets just say one wanted to use a msf5000 platform and interface the 72 mhz link to do a backhaul,,,,is that possible....What is the exact deal with the link...There obviously is a reciever section,,,,what is the transmitter side like...I have never seen one before....

Thanks again, Rob

Also::: If you get a purc w/o a programmable controller does it make a big deal in the repeater conversion....

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”