Vertex VHF VX800 - No Transmit - Error Displayed?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

g8tzl2004

Vertex VHF VX800 - No Transmit - Error Displayed?

Post by g8tzl2004 »

I have recently acquired a VHF Vertex VX800 handheld.

The RX side works great but when I press the PTT there is no TX - I just get an "Error" message displayed on the LCD and 3 bleeps. The red TX LED lights briefly but there definately is no TX carrier, even for a second.

The VX800 is acting like the TX VCO is out of lock..but the frequencies are definately in band. I have also uploaded the codeplug from an identical fully working VX800 in case the faulty VX800 had some TX inhibit features incorrectly programmed...but the VX800 still does not TX. I've also tried using low and high frequencies in case I have a 136-160 vs 146-175 MHz radio.

I have also checked out the SVC31 alignment software and attempted to check the VX800 reference frequency thereby bypassing the PTT switching but again, the VX800 did not TX when you press the laptop space bar ( as per the SVC31 alignment proceedure)...although the red LED stayed on continuously when the space bar was pressed.

I guess its probably a hardware fault. Any ideas? I'm thinking that it is maybe a VCO issue. If it was the PA I guess I would be getting some power out from the driver?

Thanks

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”