Controller I20r

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

DRAGER
1 Warning for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale/Links

Controller I20r

Post by DRAGER »

Hi Guys.
I have a little problem with a controller I20r.
when take for intall and conect with Dc 12V suddenly start smoke out ( Reflect ¡(/=#%)&#%¡#)/¡="( ) Jjajaj, I check Main fuse ( r130= 10 Ohm, Manual service is Ok), but i´m not more information is my first review with a controller, i´ve never had a problem :(

Thanks to all, I hope your Help!!! :) :) regards from Chile-Chiloé Island
Pd: Sorry for my english, is my better attempt .
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: Controller I20r

Post by escomm »

Well smoke is never a good thing
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Yes letting the magic white smoke out of the electronics sucks big time.
Can you provide us with a picture of the burnt components by chance ?
Did you accidently hook up dc power backwards .
Not enough info yet to help but give us any info you have to add and we will try.
If it still works as in manual mode as you say then id qeuss a varistor burnt which protects things and you maybe shut off dc before any other damage and if so then your lucky and can just replace the varistor.
But im second qeussing here as not enough info yet to say much.
Good Luck
Satelite
DRAGER

Post by DRAGER »

hi friends tanks for rapid respuest.
OK. the problem with controller is source Dc increase 12v to 18v ( why... I don´t know) also burn fuse of radios ( gm300). But I read service manual and find the FUSE MAIN, that is a resistance 10 Ohm, but is GOOD. Then i don't know what more check. other side of device i see nothing burned, also give it a try with brige where is the fuse main . But if you want i can take the picture :) ..

Tanks. 73´s
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
My question now is where are you getting the 12v dc that now is 18v dc as you state.
In other words are you putting a dc voltage into the controller from a ac to 12 volt dc power supply ?
Im thinking since you say your blowing fuses on the gm300 that you are supplying dc from another source such as a small power supply that possibly cant supply enough amps thus driving the dc voltage output up to 18 volts dc and damaging the regulation circuit in the power supply.
Which may now be damaged unless its standby power is around 13.5 volts dc or so.
I don't have enough info to properly diagnose this issue .
Whats your standby dc voltage output when in idle mode ?
Are you seeing 18 volts out of your power into the radios and controller ?
Satelite
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

I'll bet that this isn't a regulated power supply, but a battery charger, don't those things routinely go upwards of 18v with irregular loads on them?
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
Good point didn't think about that one .
Satelite
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

I've seen that happen when people randomly throw a battery charger on a vehicle with a flat battery in it, and then wonder why the electronics get all goofy. Voltages from 16-18vDC are not uncommon on the chargers we have at work.
"How do you plan to outwit Death?"
"With a knight and bishop combination; I will destroy his flank.
" --Antonious Block
DRAGER

Post by DRAGER »

Hi friends. sorry for wait.
I Can solve my problem with controller. The main problem was in Power supply( with coil-) in this burn the transistor for this the Dc up voltage 13.8 to 24 volt jajajaj this is the Why burn all equipament ajajajauj. Now change the fuse and dc protect and the other problem it´s a little diode when i proof it´s Ok (6 Ohm) , but the real valor is more small ( only 2 ohm). the problem is Ok. Many thanks all for you time and patience with Latin radio-ham lover jajaj :o :lol:

Pd: If someone has the RSS for I20r please send me or say when i can Download. I have one Version what your weight is 400Kb app, But this version is not run in MS-DoS.. thank you... :o
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

DRAGER wrote: Pd: If someone has the RSS for I20r please send me or say when i can Download. I have one Version what your weight is 400Kb app, But this version is not run in MS-DoS.. thank you... :o
You cannot ask for Motorola software here, it is not allowed. It is the very first rule at the top of the main page. We are a technical assistance site, not a pirated software site. Please do not do it again.
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”