EEPROM cs ERROR cdm 1550 ls+

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

insight3fl
New User

EEPROM cs ERROR cdm 1550 ls+

Post by insight3fl »

I obtained a radio that was sold with "EEPROM error". Read the radio with CPS and it discovered the error and used the recovery routine to load default codeplug. I programmed it with one conventional personality channel. Saved and wrote to the radio several times. I turn it off and on several times no problem. I let it sit for a few minutes and turn it on and it again defaults to the error. Any reason it continues to fail after recovery? (I have done this about 5 times)

Thanks,

Dennis
escomm
Queue Moderator

Re: EEPROM cs ERROR cdm 1550 ls+

Post by escomm »

Yes. The EEPROM is bad.
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

I guess that requires professional soldering equipment, programmer and the skill? Or is it programmed only with the code plug after installation?

Thanks
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

Answered my own question from the manual... depot service only :(

Guess that even precludes removal from another unit and replacement of this one at the bench.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

I am pretty sure they can be replaced in the field but the trouble is getting the right PROM and burning it with the right file. There was a guy on Ebay offering the service for like $50.
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

Yes... found some ebayer's who claim to "reprogram / no physical repair" and guarantee the error to be gone for $29-39.

Thanks again. I will get the radio running temporarily and confirm it works completely before investing anymore in it than the 1/3 $60 I paid for three non-working units of which only one is truly dead. The other of the three was able to be programed but have not checked it over completely.
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Yeah I doubt his service will fix much, the EEPROMs in the pro series radios going bad are quite notorious, they have a finite number of write cycles and the PROM is written to every time you power the radio down
insight3fl
New User

Post by insight3fl »

Well.... the knowledge of this group is right on point. The vendor failed to correct the EEPROM error. They even "tested it" four times (they did not leave it off for an hour or two then restarted it) and of course, it worked fine in several on and off cycles. They sent it back thinking they fixed it. I turned it on and bingo.... same error. They did refund my $32 but I was out the $13 shipping to them. Live and learn.. and keep reading BatBoard!

Thanks for the help. Back on to Ebay it goes and hopefully I can get my $40 investment back selling it for parts.

Return to “Radio Programming”