IMPRES Battery info shows good, but on TX battery is low

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n6fnp
Batboard $upporter

IMPRES Battery info shows good, but on TX battery is low

Post by n6fnp »

I have an XTS2500 HT (Firmware R20.50.05) with an IMPRES battery that shows lots of capacity left on standby/receive but gives
low battery alert when transmitting. When not transmitting, the battery gauge shows two out of three bars and the BATT information shows:
RatedCap% 70
Rem Cap 1329
EST CHGS 383

When the PTT button is held down for a few seconds, the battery gauge shows empty with no bars and flashes.

Any idea what is going on here? I would like to rely on the IMPRES information, but can't with this situation.

-Thor
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Re: IMPRES Battery info shows good, but on TX battery is low

Post by MTS2000des »

how old is the battery? 383 charge cycles is over a year of use, assuming 1 charge per day.
Most likely one or more of the cells has gone "soft" which happens when batteries get old, the battery can output plenty of current for RX, but the amount needed for transmitting is way more, and puts more strain on the battery. If one or more cells are weak, you get a huge voltage drop and thus, the low battery indication or even a power cycle.

If the battery is more than 2 years old, it's probably time to replace it.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
RFguy

Re: IMPRES Battery info shows good, but on TX battery is low

Post by RFguy »

Below 80% is considered a bad battery. Looks like yours is at 70%

Return to “ASTRO25 Series (XTS/XTL 1500/2500/5000) Subscribers”