Maxtrac on 6 meters.

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Maxtrac on 6 meters.

Post by kb4mdz »

Oh, happy day.

Got tired this afternoon of having poor RX performance on a lowband Maxtrac I bit-banged up to 6 meters quite some time ago. Pulled it outta the truck, put in on the bench and started trying to figure out how to broaden the front end. Hmmm, no tiny screws in my culch-pile. Suddenly in a linding blash of flight I saw the spool of solder; the thicker diameter (0.032 inch, maybe?) Lopped off a couple pieces, and started sticking them into the coil forms. Very quickly I went from USQ at about .38uV to right on the hairy edge of .1uV for 52.525. Yeoww!!

Worked best to put a piece in the next-to-last coil and the two previous. IIRC, there are 9 coils; from the antenna end to the mixer, or from the outside edge to the inside, I did number 6,7, & 8. Putting them in 2,3, & 4 helped the sensitivity up at 53.910; Then just sealed them in with a small squirt of hotmelt glue just before inserting the 'slugs' and then some more glue on top.

Great. Radio. Ya gotta love it.

Chuk Gleason
kb4mdz

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”