Maxtrac S 800 Trunking SW Problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

b7spectra
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, Sabers, Spectras

Maxtrac S 800 Trunking SW Problem

Post by b7spectra »

Here is my problem/info:

Computer: P75 16MB RAM Win98 booting from floppy

Software: Maxtracs v05.07.01

Problem: Can read Maxtrac 800 Smartnet, no where does it give me the option to add personality. Here is real problem. When I exit the program and attempt to go back in, I get the error message "You Do Not Have Enough Memory To Run This Application" and it freezes up. I can reboot and then go in and delete the maxtracs.cfg file and I can go into the program again, but if I change anything in the .cfg file, I run into the same problem when I try to go back into it.

Solution: You tell me! Or do I just need to update my current sw?

Thanks!
:roll:
/\/\|k.e
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

No, you need to run real DOS. Try http://www.bootdisk.com

And remove any of the TSR's that DOS wants to put on your system in the autoexec.bat and config.sys files.

Those TSR's eat up the conventional memory [<640K] of your system. You can have 16 MB.. but RSS can't use it. That's just how it's made.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them.
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Since you have Windows98, you have access to what I consider the best DOS available for a Windows OS computer. Go to your 'C:\windows' directory & find the "MS-DOS Mode for Games with EMS & XMS Support" icon. Drag & drop a copy onto your desktop for easy future access. Double-clicking this will reboot your computer into a superior DOS, one which can take proper advantage of Expanded (as opposed to Extended) memory. DOS has a problem with what's now considered 'regular' (Expanded) RAM. It understands 'Extended' RAM, which it considers an extension of the 640K cache in the microprocessor itself. This DOS method emulates Extended memory. This has the dual accomplishment of allowing the DOS RSS access to your RAM, and also slows the computer down, since processor time is used in the XMS to EMS conversion. I have yet to see an RSS which won't work with this DOS...even ones that won't work with a DOS 6.22 boot disk. This assumes you use a later RSS version which isn't processor speed dependant. Give it a try, I think it'll fix you up.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
b7spectra
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, Sabers, Spectras

Post by b7spectra »

OK, used a 6.22 DOS boot. it still won't run. Still get the same error. Now, I got a copy of the newest version and it refuses to load! Tells me it can't open the .hlp file. Sooooo, I dig out my OLD 386 machine (12 MB RAM) and it loads it, but still comes back and won't open up without errors! So it won't run on the 386 and won't run on the P75. Any suggestions?????
/\/\|k.e
xmo

Post by xmo »

I have R05.07.03 running fine under DOS on a Pentium 233. Your disks may be corrupt. You should probably contact the Motorola RSS support help line for replacement media.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”