JPS discussion board

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Zaputil

JPS discussion board

Post by Zaputil »

This is pretty cool, a vendor hosted board about their products....

http://jpsforums.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x
RKG

Post by RKG »

Doesn't seem to generate much traffic.
Alan

Post by Alan »

I had to interface one of these a couple of years ago.
I was very disapointed in the lack of basic items such as line equalization and AGC.
It was replacing a Spectra-Tac syatem. The JPS does not have any on-board equalization. We had to ad external Te-Labs boxes. When I called JPS they sugested that microwave or radio links should be used instead of lease lines. What world do they live in?
Also the Spectra-Tac uses aa AGC based on the RX level of the status tone. The JPS has a very narrow AGC window and uses voice peaks. We find it does not average well.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I thought the JPS equalized based on the status tone level now as well? Are you sure they didn't change that??
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
RKG

Post by RKG »

Equalization and AGC are two different things.

The current version of the JPS Voter runs AGC based on the idle tone level.

The current version of the JPS voter enables three manually-set levels of equalization, in order to "add" a level of noise to receivers that, because of long leased lines or other things, tend to roll off the AF component in the 2kH range.

The AGC function was added by software rev. 3.38. Line equalization was added by rev. 2.58.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”