msf-5000 800mhz question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

mtxman

msf-5000 800mhz question

Post by mtxman »

Hey guys, i was wondering if you can run the msf5000 150watt 800mhz repeater on a switching power supply and take out the motorola factory power supply. i know 13.8 volts supplies the power amps, and i know there are other parts of the factory power supply that supply the logic tray and other things. just thought i would ask to see if anyone else has tried this. i have 10 of these monsters at one of my sites and the backup generator wont handle more than about 5 of them at one time and i need more. i know the switching supplies would be alot more efficient and would probaly lower my monthly electric bill at the site. i could upgrade the generator to a bigger one but they are really expensive when you get above 20 kw. any thoughts? thanks.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

hmmmm

Post by batdude »

well, i don't think any type of switching power supply is going to like the near instantaneous high current demands of your PA's. i know the quantar has the ONAN power supply that is switching, but it's specially designed for quantar and runs at a much more efficient 28v rather than 12.

if i were going to do anything, i would re-rack the MSF's into open racks and crank the power down to about 75w or so (1/2 of what you have now) and run two of the MSF's off of a MSF power supply.

the only thing that could prove troublesome is the electrical loss required in the second repeaters power cabling.

d
mtxman

msf5000

Post by mtxman »

ok, what amp are the supplies in the 150watt msf? thanks.
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

msf

Post by batdude »

off the top of my head, the MSF power supply is rated for 36A continuous.

of course - that's while still meeting all their specs for ripple, voltage, etc.

based on the weight of the damned thing, i'd say 50A continous is probably more like it, assuming you can handle a couple mV drop in the output voltage.

doug
mtxman

re: msf5000

Post by mtxman »

i think i will leave the stinking things alone and get a bigger generator. i figured i wouldnt be able to change the supplies. thanks.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”