XTL or not to XTL

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

XTL or not to XTL

Post by Pj »

Coming down to crunch time, I am sorta split between ordering the next five radio's. Right now we have 6 Astro Spectra's that are only 6 months old. VHF IMBE with DVP-XL. That's about it. Our final order would be 5 more (maybe a couple on top of that) mobiles as we go digital in the next few months.

Seeing that the Astro Spectra line is about 10 years old now, and the XTL5000's are a new product, I want to go to the XTL's. The pricing is suppose to be the same. 99% of radio repair/install is done by the local MSS, however I have become more involved into day to day ops of this. I like the idea of having one radio for all, but at the same time, I wouldn't mind having the newer equipement that will be supported longer than the AS. I really don't want to have to carry two sets of cables, two CPS's, etc etc.

I think I am going to have the ASpectra's ordered, but what have you guys done in this situation?
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

I'd go with the XTL's. With a fleet that small you probably don't upgrade radios often. Get them now while you can. What's another CPS on the laptop? Is the programming cable really going to be that cumbersome? Might as well get the newer stuff, and then in a few years you have the money again you upgrade the other five and your fleet is the same again.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
motisking
Batboard $upporter

Post by motisking »

Hope this makes the decision easier.

The XTL will not ba available in VHF till December 2004.
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

motisking wrote:The XTL will not ba available in VHF till December
LOL! Well that solves THAT problem!
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

motisking, I have NO IDEA what you are talking about!! The XTL5000 mobile has been available in VHF for several months now (136 - 174 MHZ). It has all the same options as does the UHF and 800 MHz XTL5000s, and it is available in both Conventional and Trunked on VHF.

PJ, given the $4,000-$5,000 price of a new radio, that's well over $20,000 for 5 radios, so why swet the $95 for the programming cable? I wouldn't let that color your decision in any way. Taking the long view, the ASTRO Spectra (and even the ASTRO Spectra Plus) will not be around much longer, while the XTL series is new. Consider long term Motorola parts and repair support . The XTL price is virtually the same as the older radios.

Larry
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

uh.....

Post by batdude »

i have not seen the catalog sheet yet - but is DVP-XL offered AT ALL on the XTL line since it was disco'd a while back???

doug
ASTROMODAT

Post by ASTROMODAT »

Yes, DVP-XL is available on the XTL5000.

G159 UCM hardware @ $150, plus W797 DVP-XL algorythm @ $487, for a total of $637.

Larry

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”