XTS5000r "codeplug an old devolpment version" prob

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

CTAMontrose
was grem467

XTS5000r "codeplug an old devolpment version" prob

Post by CTAMontrose »

Ive got a guy who brought me a pair of 800 XTS5ks to program and am getting the following error while using XTS5000 CPS Ver R.02.00.00

<< This codeplug is an old development version codeplug.
It is not compatible with this release. >>

XTS 5000R Model II
H18UCF9PW6AN
Flashcode: 100008-000400-6
Host: R02.20.00
DSP: R02.20.00

What am I missing to be able to program this radio?

thanks!
hamptonbeach

Not so ...

Post by hamptonbeach »

I bought a XTS5000 on eBay

Tried to read the codeplug with my CPS and got the exact same error message.

I called Moto support and explained the issue. He told me the error is pointing to my CPS being older than what was last programmed into the radio. I was using RVN4181E - support told me that the latest release is 'M' and said I needed to buy that - I placed my order and 'voila' - read and wrote to it just fine.

I'm not saying that their aren't engineering samples out there - I'm simply saying you guys need to stop writing off all Astro radios on eBay as bad news. Some are - and some aren't, just like everything else on eBay.

I'm startign to wonder if you guys are steering newbies that don't know any better away from these radios so you can scoop them up yourself cheap.
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

I'm startign to wonder if you guys are steering newbies that don't know any better away from these radios so you can scoop them up yourself cheap.[/quote]

That's funny! Yea, I'm sittin on a whole box of them I got for cheap! Yea right! You are so full of s%^t. If you got that same message and then the new CPS fixed it then you got the "magic" CPS that's reserved for newbies that we try to steer away from them so we can scoop them up!

Frank
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

Is it funny - every newbie that posts a question about Astro's on eBay are warned to stay away from them by the more seasoned posters - and usually the advice is misguided. Why ?? If it isn't to manipulate the auctions in your favor, then maybe you got burned by a deadbeat seller, doesn't mean they are all the same.

Funny I bought an XTS5000 from eBay seller "tchez21" and it's a 'real' radio accordig to Moto. I was using RVN4181E and received that SAME error.
I purchased RVN4181M for $265 from Motorola (contrary to popular belief on this board, it's not magic CPS, Moto will happily sell it to you. and it worked fine.
According to MOTO, not ME, the error message is pointing at the CPS, not the radio!

I think if a newbie has a question on the legitimacy of a radio, he should call Moto and see what they say - don't count on the bad advice you receive here.
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

hamptonbeach wrote:Is it funny - every newbie that posts a question about Astro's on eBay are warned to stay away from them by the more seasoned posters - and usually the advice is misguided. Why ?? If it isn't to manipulate the auctions in your favor, then maybe you got burned by a deadbeat seller, doesn't mean they are all the same.

Funny I bought an XTS5000 from eBay seller "tchez21" and it's a 'real' radio accordig to Moto. I was using RVN4181E and received that SAME error.
I purchased RVN4181M for $265 from Motorola (contrary to popular belief on this board, it's not magic CPS, Moto will happily sell it to you. and it worked fine.
According to MOTO, not ME, the error message is pointing at the CPS, not the radio!

I think if a newbie has a question on the legitimacy of a radio, he should call Moto and see what they say - don't count on the bad advice you receive here.

How about ROF?? What do you think of that?? Motorola is now selling CPS for the XTS5000 to anyone who wants it??!? Yea, right, like I said you are full of S@*t.

Frank
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

This is exactly why I'll never believe another post I read on this board.

I placed the order and I got it the next day - don't believe me, go here to see a copy of the invoice and CD case
http://members.aol.com/pheniramine/invoice.jpg
http://members.aol.com/pheniramine/invoice1.jpg

Buford - you are a loser big time ..
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

I'm a ham radio operator, and I have a VHF repeater on the business band. Most 2 meter ham radios have extended recieve and are easily hacked into extended tranmit. I was used to using my 2 meter rigs as 'scanners' also to listen to the police in my state (NH). Recently most the police in NH commited themselves to APCO25 and I would like to still keep listening to the public service band and not have to carry 2 radios around because as of this writing there are no 2 meter rigs with digital ability. Sure, I could buy a digital scanner, but I'd still be carrying 2 radios around.

BTW, I paid $1200 and the firmware is R4.00 - the radio was built in Dec. 03 - it's not stolen and Moto says it's a legit radio (not engineering sample), so there are good deals to be had on eBay, and in my experience, it's not the exception.

My current beef with the board is that there is a lot of junk on eBay, but not EVERYTHING of any item is junk, including the XTS5000 which I can attest to.
I pointed out that I had the same codeplug error and Moto said it was my CPS - and they were correct! I mention I bought the current CPS from Moto and I'm told I'm full of sh*t. Is this how newbies are treated when they disagree with the long time posters?
I take offence to being called a turdhead and full of Sh*t - which I am not.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

The Alpha codeplug problem cannot be fixed by using newer release version CPS. It requires a new codeplug be programmed into the radio with tools not available outside the Big M.

Luckily when I got my 5000's they came through a legit route and are fine. We need to get the firmware refresh soon as we are looking to play with the software encryption.

George
hamptonbeach wrote: I purchased RVN4181M for $265 from Motorola (contrary to popular belief on this board, it's not magic CPS, Moto will happily sell it to you. and it worked fine.

apco25
What radios do you own?: APX / Astro 25 / Harris

Post by apco25 »

there is a simple point here

BUYER BEWARE.

Yes there are early release XTS5000's floating around along with a boatload of parts built radios and I'm sure plenty of stolen stuff.

There are LEGIT radios out there as well from legal souces such as surplus sales, bankruptcies, gov sales etc.

So your mileage may vary.

And R0f, I think a lot of the folks on here are not looking for "hackable" radio just because. They want original flashcodes and legitmate tags for legitimate uses (not saying your uses aren't legitmate in anyway)

Frankly, I'm more concerned a portable has its tag and has a clean history, not that its hackable.
"Some men just don't know their limitations"
KG6EAQ
Batboard $upporter

Post by KG6EAQ »

Hamptonbeach... where is your closest MSS? I live around Los Angeles... good lucking getting a CPS license in this area, you must live in an area that either has no close MSS or that MSS doesn't cater that series of radios.
-Robert F.
KG6EAQ
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

hamptonbeach wrote: Funny I bought an XTS5000 from eBay seller "tchez21" and it's a 'real' radio accordig to Moto. I was using RVN4181E and received that SAME error.
Are you sure it was that exact error, or was it actually:

"This codeplug is too new for this application. It is not compatible with this release."

The reason I ask is because I have programmed hundreds of these radios, and have received the above error numerous times for many various incarnations of the CPS, but have never seen the 'developmental' error on a legit radio...ever.
hamptonbeach wrote: I think if a newbie has a question on the legitimacy of a radio, he should call Moto and see what they say - don't count on the bad advice you receive here.
Calling the manufacturer is certainly an option, more people should do it, as opposed to remaining ignorant & taking a chance. But often, more complete (or more timely) answers can be found here. Any public forum can have mis-information on it, but you shouldn't summarily discount the incredible amount of valuable information this site provides. I assume you found it because you were also searching for answers on Motorola radios. I assume you joined because you found the information contained to be valuable.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

Nope - it said:
"This codeplug is an old development version codeplug.
It is not compatible with this release."

Freaked me out at first as the radio was brand new, only manufactured last Dec. The Moto tech told me it was my rev E CPS at fault, and he was correct, becaue rev M read and wrote to it fine ..

Also the tech searched SO, WIP Job # and serial number at my request, and told me it was a legit retail radio, not an engineering sample.

The tech didn't seem puzzled or fazed by the error message at all.
Go figure ...
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

Hampton,

I can tell you from personal first hand experience that this error:

is absolutely related to the radio having an Alpha-release codeplug inside. Now, it may be true that your latest CPS release will write to the radio, and if so, kudos to Motorola. But I can assure you that until recently, if you had an XTS5000 radio with an Alpha codeplug (i.e. the regular CPS read the radio and showed that error), then you were screwed unless you also had the Alpha CPS.

I absolutely hate the XTS5000; but you like yours, so to each his own I guess. You should keep a running tally on how much it's costing you, incluing the radio, SW, and future visits to the Depot.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

Well I can tell you from firsthand experience that is not always the case - I wish you seasoned posters would start believing me.
I can't believe how cranked up you guys are that I realy bought a "real" XTS5k on eBay and that Motorola sold me the CPS without blinking an eye.

I KNOW WHAT ERROR I SAW AND I KNOW WHAT MOTOROLA TOLD ME

I am only relaying what Motorola told me - what make you all think you know more than them?

I was assured by Motorola after reviewing the serial number, WIP job and service order (label on the box that the radio came in) that the radio was a legit retail radio and not an alpha engineering sample. It has all the factory tags and the numbers match up with what the CPS reads. The tech didn't blink an eye when I told him the error and imediately told me what my issue was.

The radio was manufactured 6 months ago, version 4.0 of the firmware - not likely I'll need to sent to the depot anytime soon.
I paid $1200 for the radio including XL and OFB encryption, $265 for the CPS and $150 for a programming cable. Money well spent on a supported current product.

Yes, I like my 5k, I have no need to monitor VHF trunking - none exists in my state anyway. If you guys like your sabers or whatever - enjoy.
I'm not going to participate in this thread anymore, so if you have more to say, it is amongst yourselves.
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

Victor Xray wrote:Hampton,

I can tell you from personal first hand experience that this error:

is absolutely related to the radio having an Alpha-release codeplug inside. Now, it may be true that your latest CPS release will write to the radio, and if so, kudos to Motorola. But I can assure you that until recently, if you had an XTS5000 radio with an Alpha codeplug (i.e. the regular CPS read the radio and showed that error), then you were screwed unless you also had the Alpha CPS.

I absolutely hate the XTS5000; but you like yours, so to each his own I guess. You should keep a running tally on how much it's costing you, incluing the radio, SW, and future visits to the Depot.

I tend to agree. I believe Tom is mistaken about the error code he saw.
I have had first hand experience with an Alpha XTS and the newer version of CPS did not help, still unreadable.

Frank
Victor Xray

Post by Victor Xray »

hamptonbeach wrote:I can't believe how cranked up you guys are that I realy bought a "real" XTS5k on eBay and that Motorola sold me the CPS without blinking an eye.
I've had no issue with your claim of purchasing the CPS.
hamptonbeach wrote:I am only relaying what Motorola told me - what make you all think you know more than them?
Real-world experience. The tech knew how to fix the problem with the latest CPS - great. My point is that until recently, it wasn't that simple.
hamptonbeach wrote:I was assured by Motorola ... that the radio was a legit retail radio and not an alpha engineering sample.
I never disagreed with your claim that you have a legit radio. I said the CODEPLUG that was inside that radio was created with what is labeled as Developmental CPS, i.e. Alpha. Again, real-world experience.
hamptonbeach wrote:... not likely I'll need to sent to the depot anytime soon.
Hah, well that's surely an optimestic view. I hope that it's true. You evidentally have more disposible cash than us hobbiests. If it was an agency's radio, I would be more understanding.
hamptonbeach wrote:I'm not going to participate in this thread anymore, so if you have more to say, it is amongst yourselves.
Ok. No hard feelings. Buh bye
Josh
What radios do you own?: APX4K, XTL5K, NX5200, NX700HK

Post by Josh »

A bit off-topic, but my XTS2500 programs just fine with regular CPS and it's an "alpha radio" too.

It works 100% except for the display, which doesn't work at all.

I haven't even tried any type of firmware/DSP upgrade though.

-Josh
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

But your 2500 does not have an "alpha" codeplug loaded in, otherwise you wouldn't be able to read it with release CPS.

I know we had some beta radios that Moto sent for us to test. They also sent the matching beta CPS since the release CPS would not read/write to them.

George
hamptonbeach

PROOF IS IN TH EPUDDING FOR THE KNOW-IT-ALLS

Post by hamptonbeach »

OK, According to a few posters here, I'm a turdhead, full of sh*t. Now I'm mistaken, so I must be illiterate or dyslexic too.

I notice how 10-95 still wants to stick his useless 2 cents in, you have nothing to say to me know about the CPS purchase now that I posted a pic of the invoice after calling me full of sh*t and laughing about it to rof?

Here is what my inital post was supposed to mean.
rof very authoritively says that any XTS5k with the "This codeplug is an old development version codeplug" error message is an "alpha" series radio - He posts "The rumor is a large quantity of XTS5000's were given out to "friends" of employees after they were finished in the testing phase."
I'm not denying there are alpha series engineering samples out there with possible programming issues.
Also posted was "This is the reason I tell everyone to keep away from the XTS5000. There are no REAL XTS5000's on eBay or anywhere else for sale" "We will not see any REAL XTS5000's on eBay for at least 3 years."

I say I got the same error message on a brand spankin new retail radio - THAT I BOUGHT OFF EBAY, and no one believes me - WHY ?? Are you guys so perfect you can't be wrong?
This positively is my last post. ANyone that wants to discuss it further with me can PM me. I hooked the radio up to my PC running RVN4181E and took 6 pics - the last 2 pics are from the same radio on my laptop running RVN4181M. If you guys can't believe your own eyes, you really have issues, follow the link below - good day ...

http://members.aol.com/pheniramine/
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

First of all...calm down!

Up until this post, NO ONE has ever been able to reprogrm the alpha XTS5000's. Ever since they have hit the market (eBay and other places)...it has been a work in progress to get them to read/write. CPS wasn't available, alpha CPS wasn't available. It just DIDN'T HAPPEN. Only the users who recieved preproduction test radio's were able to play with them with the Motorola supplied software which only worked with those.

People here will see a post like this with great skeptism. Its good that you found a solution to this problem, and I am sure its going to help quite a few people out.

With all the scammers and trolls around this board and radios, its become a self defense reaction to meet such claims at a great distance. Not everyone here is a "hobbist" or "Hacker". I personally know of some Moto techs that are on this board - system managers for large system etc etc.

So recapping...don't feel too bad. Some of the oldest posters here are just trying to help out the new guys from buying a $1500 paperweight, and I can't say that anyone here is trying to hoard XTS5000's for themselves since most of us have no use for it due it certain features.

XTS5000 - Until recently, Alphas were useless due to codeplugs
CPS - Motorola HEAVILY restricts selling this software
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
xmo

Post by xmo »

"...CPS - Motorola HEAVILY restricts selling this software..."

There's CPS and there's CPS.

CPS seems to have come out first for the Pro series radios - radios that are almost exclusively a dealer channel product. There is no question that many who have attempted to order Pro series CPS have been turned away. This seems to be based on a strange policy of dealer territory protection.

Astro products CPS is a different matter. The only thing it shares is the name CPS. Astro radios are primarily a CGIS product sold through the factory direct distribution channel. It's no surprise that Motorola would have different standards for the license agreements for radios that are sold through different channels.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

PJ - thanks for the post. But I think you missed the point also. I don't have an alpha radio, nor did I suggest I had a programming solution to them.
All I was trying to say was that it isn't 'only' the alpha radios that received that error message. Moto tech tried to tell me that was an error message from my old CPS, not the radio, and apparently he was correct.

I understand the self-defense mechanism, but for some it seems it's a knee-jerk reaction that it simply can't be so - no matter what proof you offer

I would've stayed calm, but when a newbie gets called a turdhead (on another thread) and full of sh*t 'twice' in this thread - that's crossing the line of skeptism into a personality attack - maybe that cause "MY" self-defense mechanism to kick in - ????
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

XMO (and anyone else interested)

I don't know why Motorola sold me the CPS - I'm in the right(wrong) market area, they felt bad for me etc ... :)
But here is how I obtained it, and I can't see why this wouldn't work for anyone else.

I called 800-422-4210, followed the prompts to place an order. After telling the service rep I wanted software, he asked if I had an account number and if I was authorized to purchase software - my answer to both questions was no. He said I needed a customer account number first, At his advice, I went to:

http://businessonline.motorola.com and created a new account to purchase Moto parts online. After the account was created and approved (couple of days), I had access to ordering parts online (but no software).
After the online account was created, I now had a customer number.

At the service reps advice from the prior phone call, I called them back, told them I now had a customer number and wanted to buy software. He sent by FAX an 8 page software agreement fro me to sign and return via FedEx or US Mail to the software licensing coordinator. The software agreement wasn't much different than the lengthy BS you agree to when installing the Windows OS. So I sold my soul and signed it.

I opted to send it back via FedEx to save time. A day or two later, software was a selection on my Moto Online account.
I will admit that I had to actually phone in the order as the price was left blank on the XTS5k CPS and the shopping cart wouldn't accept it, I simply stated my customer number and the part number I wanted.
That wasn't the case on the other software selections I glanced at, they all had pricing.

The next morning I had a FedEx package from Moto ...

So there it is, YMMV - please don't say I was mistaken or full of anything.
RocketNJ

Post by RocketNJ »

It is possible the old CPS that you used displayed the "old development version" error instead of "the codeplug is too new" that you see with more recent CPS versions.

What would be a good test is if someone with an "alpha" radio were to try the new revision M CPS.

George
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

That's EXACTLY what I've been trying to say - it's not possible, but according to the Moto tech I spoke with and the pictures I posted, very probable ...
batdude
Personal aide to Mr. Cook

Post by batdude »

leave the man alone.

i just verified what he said, and it works.

however, i think this is going the wrong direction.

i think the older versions of software, when presented with a codeplug that would normally give the DOS RSS message "CODEPLUG TOO NEW FOR THIS APPLICATION" - instead poops out the "DEVELOPMENTAL CODEPLUG" message instead.

to completely rid ourselves of this discussion, could someone PLEASE post the firmware in a radio (host and dsp) that is KNOWN FOR A FACT to be a developmental radio...?

the XTS i have here is host R2.20.00, DSP R2.20.00 - using version 2.01 CPS the error is the same as described above - DEVELOPMENTAL CODEPLUG --- but when read with v4.01 CPS it reads and writes just fine.

doug
BRAVO MIKE JULIET ALPHA
"You can do whatever you want, there are just consequences..."
IF SOMEONE PM'S YOU - HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.
Ciphernet

Post by Ciphernet »

I have a friend that have a XTS5K VHF radio that is an Alpha series for sure. He cannot reprogram it so a new revised CPS would be great.

His radio has these data:

Host version R02.20.02
DSP version R02.20.00

Jan
10-95

Re: ...

Post by 10-95 »

batdude wrote:leave the man alone.

i just verified what he said, and it works.

however, i think this is going the wrong direction.

i think the older versions of software, when presented with a codeplug that would normally give the DOS RSS message "CODEPLUG TOO NEW FOR THIS APPLICATION" - instead poops out the "DEVELOPMENTAL CODEPLUG" message instead.

to completely rid ourselves of this discussion, could someone PLEASE post the firmware in a radio (host and dsp) that is KNOWN FOR A FACT to be a developmental radio...?

the XTS i have here is host R2.20.00, DSP R2.20.00 - using version 2.01 CPS the error is the same as described above - DEVELOPMENTAL CODEPLUG --- but when read with v4.01 CPS it reads and writes just fine.

doug
This is super news, now everyone looking for a way to get those Alpha series radios working have it. Sounds like a major breakthrough for the alpha series, who would have guessed! F.Y.I. Batdude, your radio IS an alpha series from what I can tell from the firmware, seems low wnough to be.

Frank
calvat

Post by calvat »

Woo Woo,,
It was a very very Good News. I think I may source some to try.

Larry
dick33

XTS5000R

Post by dick33 »

just got my vhf II with secure board from the man on e-bay in Hong Kong.the radio won't read with cps 4.00.01 it may write but I need a code plug from a working radio if anyone has one with the 123abc1234 s/n I would like to try it out.Thanks.
dsp=2.00.03
host=2.00.03
s/n=123ABC1234
m/n=H18KEF9PW6AN
flash=10001-000000-7
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

From what I read in:
http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=37025

You need host and dsp version 2.20.00 for the newer CPS to read/write the radio
dick33

Post by dick33 »

yes thats what it seems to be looking like for the older versions.Thanks for all the help I will keep trying
USGOVTECH

Post by USGOVTECH »

WOW!!

I got my XTS5000 from panter88 located in Hong Kong and bought the CPS and Ribless RS232 Programming cabld and the Ribless USB cable and was able to program the radio just fine. It is an "Alpha" radio as well. I have had the radio 1 week. .

CPS VERSION: 04.01.00 (After $2**.** Bucks)
CABLES (2**.** Each)

HOST VERSION=2.20.02
DSP VERSION=2.20.00
S/N=123ABC1234
MODEL#=H18KEF9PW6AN
FLASH=10001-000000-7

I could not program the radio until I reinstalled the CPS after I updated the Windows installer. Very Very Very Happy. No Problems at all with My 5K. Sorry to hear about all the bad luck.
dick33

Post by dick33 »

yes thats true but the one I got from him was an older version.I'm awaiting an exchang from him so all should be good.so beware all he does have workable and non-workable radios.
Mercenary
What radios do you own?: Motorola XTS3000

Post by Mercenary »

Hi, just wanted to let everyone know that i got a VHF XTS5000 from Panter88 on Ebay with the alpha radio serial #123ABC1234, Host & DSP version R02.20.02, Flashcode 100001-000000-7, Model # H18KEF9PW6AN.

I WAS able to programm the radio with the XTS5000 release CPS R04.01.00 without any problems and the radio works GREAT.
pmoore40

Post by pmoore40 »

So what did we learn from this thread? "hamptonbeach" was right? I don't even own a 5K, but it has been fun watching the "beach" slam the "veterans". Complete with photographic proof and all. Hahaha.
hamptonbeach

Post by hamptonbeach »

What did we learn?
Did we learn I was right? Yes, but not after being bashed myself and not believed even though I showed photographic evidence.
It wasn't until 'batdude' confirmed what I said did anyone take me seriously.

However 'what' we learned was not what everything I posted.
The thread started off with a gent that owned a radio and got the "old development version codeplug" error message.

It was correctly pointed out that he owned an engineering sample (alpha radio) and the radios were considered junk by the seasoned posters because you could not program them (up until now that was true)

Changing the topic slightly, what I pointed out was that the "old development version codeplug" error was not limited to the engineering samples as I owned a brand spankin new retail radio and received the same error. I was told by Motorola that the error was generated by the older version of the CPS I was using, and the latest version (RVN4181M) would do the trick. I bought it from Moto and it did fix the radio.

I was also called a liar in that I was able to purchase the 'Holy Grail' from Motorola until I posted the invoice and instructions on how to do it yourself.

Throughout the thread, everyone kept referring to my radio as another engineering sample (no one listened to what I was saying), and the thread turned into if the newer CPS will program the engineering samples.

Here is what we learned.

1. Reading an alpha radio with anything other than version 4 of the CPS will generate the "old development version codeplug" error.

2. Reading any XTS5k with a version of the CPS older than what was written to it last will generate the same error, not the "codeplug too new" error the DOS RSS used to give out.

3. Version 4 of the CPS will read/write to the alpha radios with host and dsp version of 2.20 and higher

4. That Joe Schmo can buy the CPS from Motorola.

5. I can't believe this thread wont die.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”