Programming problem with Maratrac. Advice Needed!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

firefighter699

Programming problem with Maratrac. Advice Needed!

Post by firefighter699 »

Hey All,
I am new to this board but a long time lurker of Batlabs. I have a Maratrac Model# T81XTA7DA2BK. This is the 30-36mhz Low Band with the A7 head. I have RSS Software Version.....R04.03.00. I purchased a Rib-Less cable for it and I have an AST 386/25CL Laptop. If you follow this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 5712094542

It will show you which cable I bought. I emailed the seller telling them I was having a problem and they replied that if your model is not listed in the ad, then they have not tested it with this cable and can't confirm if it
will work. I was under the impression that if it can program the GM300, then it will work with the Maratrac.

I am getting the following error messages in the RSS software:

On Com 1:
Serial Bus Error: #5 - Power Failure.

If I change the computer and the software to Com 2, I get:

Serial Bus Error: #7 - Invalid Opcode

If you are looking at theRJ45 connector with the locking tab on the up side, this is the following connections:

1 BLACK
2 N/C
3 GREEN
4 BROWN
5 ORANGE
6 BLUE
7 YELLOW
8 N/C

I have no idea where they go inside the little box because it is sealed up. I might as well break it open because otherwise this cable is worthless to me. I have also tried Moslo to see if the computer may be to fast but got the same results. The computer is running just plain old Dos 6.22, nothing else. If anyone has any suggestions or help, please reply here or email me.

Thanks in advance!
Jeff
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

First off, it doesn't look like that works with a maratrac, even according to the description. Just because it has the RJ45 connector setup doesn't necessarily mean it's pinned to the computer the same way.

Maratracs are not very tempermental, so if you're having problems it's most likely the incorrect cabling. You're better off just buying a rib box and either building or buying a cable. It saves alot of headache in the long run.
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
firefighter699

Post by firefighter699 »

OK. After talking to a few people, I think I am just going to buy a rib and the appropriate cab. Anyone have a used one for sale or suggest an online place to get on?
Bob

Post by Bob »

These are the times when I miss Monty...

The only real suggested platform is an OEM Motorola RIB, and a 385 or 485 running DOS 6.22.

Read the programming primer: http://www.batlabs.com/newbie.html And you can't go wrong.

That said, I know a lot of people who have been using the 'ed2way' ribs without any problems. As the Maratracs aren't nearly as temperamental as, say a CDM, it should be ok. The OEM RIBs pop up on ebay quite a bit. Most of them go for nearly the same price as a new one direct from Motorola.
kc7gr
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Sunair (HF).

Shameless Plug Alert

Post by kc7gr »

If you find yourself in a bind, programming-wise, I can handle the Maratracs. The only kicker is that you'd have to send it to the Puget Sound area.

Feel free to PM or E-mail if you get stuck.
Bruce Lane, KC7GR
"Raf tras spintern. Raf tras spoit."
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Where are you located? Maybe someone local to you can help. The cable itself is really easy to build, and ribs are a dime a dozen on ebay. Get back with me, I may have an extra Rib floating around I'll sell you.
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
firefighter699

Post by firefighter699 »

I am in Northwest Connecticut. Let me know what you have for a rib of any.

Thanks,
Jeff
motor59
Batboard $upporter

Post by motor59 »

I'm in Central NJ and can program, if you don't get any closer replies.
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "
oldtime tech

Regarding Maratracs

Post by oldtime tech »

The maratrac is a fine radio but the software development was abandoned by motorola long before the radio was.

The problem with programming the maratrac stems from the computer software and the actual computer processor you are running. No computer from the 486 vintage and on can program a maratrac without taking special steps. The software design is so old it can not handle the internal cache memory that the 486 and even some 386 vintage computers used.

One solution I have had good success with is to enter the computer bios and actually disable the onboard cpu cache. I have been able to program many radios including the Maratrac and the P100 and many others. Not all computers support this bios feature so you have to check to see what you have. Of course the other thing is that you also need to do the programming in DOS. I dont believe the version is too important although 6.22 seems to work fine.

Dont forget once you finish to turn the bios cache back on or you will find your computer performs like the old dog on the porch. It just lies there.

Good luck
rrfd43
What radios do you own?: Cobra 25 LTD Classic with echo

Post by rrfd43 »

I have three maratracs, all program without isssue with an aftermarket rib, p-120 laptop, DOS only. I have not had any issues with this platform except mcx1000 and syntor x9000. Both of these work on the old 486, cpu slowed down in the bios and cacheing turned off. Good luck.
jim

Post by jim »

I have never had any problems doing a Maratrac with my 60 or 150 MHz computer.
Chris

Post by Chris »

You do not have the most recent release of Maratrac software. Get version 5.00.

The GM300 cable you have will work fine. Make sure the radio is powered up, COM is selected correctly and you should be fine.

Ribless works with the Maratrac.

Chris
Chris

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”