Centracom II /tone remote question

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Centracom II /tone remote question

Post by Radiogeek97 »

Folks
our CCII console at work has 3 channel positions one of which no longer works because our facilities dept changed pl's and the mobile the tone remote is hooked into is a dinasaur and the shop cant program it. I had a chance to look inside the console today and what i found inside was a "motorola command series tone remote model L1548a" connected to a motorola Moxy mobile.
I was wondering if this tone remote could be re-used and connected to say a CDM mobile? If anybody has any diagrams or could help me out that would be great. I am not sure how the tone remote is wired to the channel position, i did not have time to dig in behind everything. Any suggestions would be a help.

thanks
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Umm, is the shop to lazy to change the PL using the old fashioned way that used to be the only way? Just because it isn't programable doesn't mean it is not doable. Tell them to get off their ass and earn their money for once.

A CDM has all the accessory pins needed to remote control it. That shouldn't be a problem. Hell, it is perfect for your lazy M shop since there is a preset accessory pin configuration for tone-remote use :)
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

I am sure somthing could be done but the techs don't know crap i think they are younger than the radio itself!!! I figured if somebody here was familiar with this model tone remote or if they could point me in the direction of a schematic, or post somthing. i could hopefully convince them to get a cdm that way there we could program it ourselves.

it is tough getting good service these days the techs see our old beat up system and want to replace it, but it is easy to spend sombody elses money, i mean when you start replacing infrasture its not thousands its tens of thousands even hundreds of thousands, i am just trying to make the junk we have more functional.

thanks and happy thanksgiving to all
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

If the Moxy was capable of sending the 'old' PL, then it can certainly be changed to do 'new' one. It's just a matter of changing tone reeds. Now, if it is a carrier squelch unit, retrofitting it to do PL is a whole different story. Still do-able, but in that case I'd recommend upgrading to a CDM unit.

I don't have details on your exact tone remote interface unit, but they are all essentially the same. They take a 2 or 4 wire input from the tone remotes, and provide the I/O's that are needed to control the radio, such as Ground, PTT, TX & RX audio. Any decent tech can tell you what pins do what in a few minutes with a scope and/or voltmeter.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

wavetar

it is definitely a moxy capable of pl because it it used to be able to access the repeater but they changed tones years ago. i will try to get the schematic for the tone remote so i can determine how to wire in a cdm or gm300 for that matter. As a back up plan i will dig around at the auto shop and see if they have an old moxy with the correct tone reeds in it.
Do the tone reedes have to be from a moxy or are there any other early model motorola mobiles that can be scavenged for the reedes ?

thanks
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

Well crap, I'm not a "real" tech but why couldn't you put something like a comm spec tone board in there?

Delar, W7DJM
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Well, then it would be transmitting TWO different PL's at the same time. It is already encoding one PL, it just needs to be changed. The shop is too lazy to do it and wants to sell them a CDM instead.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
psapengineer

What is the new PL?

Post by psapengineer »

OK, let's see if we can help. What is the new PL you've changed to?
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

psap

we went from 127.3 to 173.8
thanks
xmo

Post by xmo »

I't a sad situation if your radio shop can't figure out how to change the PL in a Moxy.

There are basically three possibilities. The Maxar/Moxy normally would have a TRN6177 PL encoder/decoder board. This takes a KLN6209 reed - very common - just plug in a new reed & you're done.

Possibility number two is that the radio has a TRN4237 'reedless' PL encoder/decoder. It takes a TRN4224 PL code plug to configure the reedless board for a particular code - that would be harder to track down but could be lifted from a suitable donor radio.

The third possibility is that the radio has an aftermarket board in it which might be easily changed to a new code.

The L1548 TRA is an IAI product [the MRTI people]. Here is the pin out of the P2 connector on the L1548:

PIN - FUNCTION
1 - Rx audio - (7)
2 - F1
3 - Rx audio + (11)
4 - F2
5 key pin
6 - PTT (3)
7 - mic hi (2)
8 - monitor (14)
9 - mic lo (7)
10 - osc ground
11 - duplex control
12,14,16 - ground (7)
13,15 - DC+ (13)

The numbers in paranthesis are the corresponding pin numbers to connect to on the 16 pin Maxtrac type radio [which can be easily translated to the correct corresponding pins for the CDM]
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

xmo

thanks for taking the time to look up the information for me.
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

GUYS

our dealer wanted over $800.00 for a cdm1550 and my boss wont go for it We have several kenwood tk805d's laying around would any of you know if i can get the proper signals out of the mic jack of a tk805d. the radio is of no use to us and can be modified /opend up ect, as it is not going back into a crusier.

ps i know its not a moto question but i signed up for the kenwood forum on dec 8th and still cant get in, any help here would be tremendously appreciated

thanks
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

CCII tone remote question

Post by kb4mdz »

I haven't done very much ever with the Knwd 805 series, but IIRC, it doesn't have much in the way of interfacing; esp. getting RX audio out thru the mic jack might involve more modification than you're comfy with.

Here's my suggestion: pull out the Moxy, open it up by sliding the cover off and then remove the four screws holding the PL board. Determine the type of element (reed or reedless), and ask back here for one of the correct frequency. Put it in place, button up and test. (If I have one of the right type & frequency I'll send it free of charge)

BTW, how much real indigestion is there to get this channel up & running? If $800 is too much for a 'new' un it it may be just an excuse.
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

I appreciate the offer, i will try and get the ok to pull the moxy out and take a look at it. I think that the boss was also thinking about using a different channel all together in the console, it was with this contingency in mind that I brought up the use of the kenwood mobile, as we have a few here free to modify as necessary.

thanks for the generous offer
Radiogeek97
Batboard $upporter

Post by Radiogeek97 »

Guys

i just wanted to ressurect this post, as I have come across an A5 spectra that I would wish to tie into this tone remote. We were going to get a cdm but had a car come out of service that had an A5 in it. I know that the spectras can be limited as far as what you can program the accy connector to do, but i was hoping that one of you folks could tell me which pins from the a5 need to go to which on the tone remote. I appreciate all the help and wish I could just buy all new stuff but that is just not feasable and I need to make do with what i have.

thanks folks

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”