Any thougts on this?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

n9ysu

Post by n9ysu »

From Mobile Radio Technology Magazine:

Motorola, Schaumburg, IL, and Aerwav, New York, have announced an agreement through which Motorola will design, manufacture and market infrastructure, portable and mobile two-way radio products for use in the 220MHz band.

“This event marks Motorola's first ever entry into the 220MHz band,” said Ken Notter, Motorola Communications and Electronics vice president.

“Our agreement with Motorola establishes the type of strategic relationship that will help us advance our spectrum-leasing model,” said Robert Shiver, Aerwav chairman.

Offering two-way trunked radio features such as group dispatch, one-to-one selective calling, wide-area seamless roaming and efficient channel use, the Motorola products will be suitable for a wide cross-section of markets, according to a Motorola press release. Motorola expects to begin introducing its 220MHz products in the second half of 2002. Both companies will market and distribute these communications products directly to end users, as well as through Motorola's nationwide network of dealers.
MicorRT

Post by MicorRT »

One things for sure big M should be able to make it fly... at least there stuff should work better then that SEA crap did.
MicorRT
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

lol on the SEA stuff, I dealt with a small taxi co and they ahd those and could not understand why when one of the radios was kicked, bumped, etc in the car, the thing would never work right again. Audio stunk and, oh well....I could go on and on...
Jonathan KC8RYW

Post by Jonathan KC8RYW »

Maybe if more commercial-220 rigs get into the marketplace, the more hams would actually use the ham-220 band.

I suspect that 2 meters and 70cm are hot because of the easy avaliability of downbanding commercial 150 and 450 equipment, respectively.

Am I on the right track?
73 DE KC8RYW
Random Motorola Part Number:
SYN1894B - V3m Sprint-branded Battery Cover
Julian

Post by Julian »

Woo Hoo!
M is finally coming out with a 220 rig! 220MHz is quite popular here in Phoenix, I use the Alinco DR-235...great radio but would prefer Motorola!
Regards,
Julian (KD7QOX)
Julian

Post by Julian »

Woo Hoo!
M is finally coming out with a 220 rig! 220MHz is quite popular here in Phoenix, I use the Alinco DR-235...great radio but would prefer Motorola!
Regards,
Julian (KD7QOX)
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

Motorola has manufactured the GP300 series radio in 220 for quite some time. I picked one up while in Korea. They are nice radios and the Domestic release of RSS supports these GP'S.

Frank
EC-7

Post by EC-7 »

Well if it isn't Motorola making the radios for UPS and FED-EX, for the 220 band, who is? What radios are available for it now, besides ham?
10-95

Post by 10-95 »

The only companies I know of that make 220 gear is Midland land mobile and SEA. We had a beta 220 system up here in the Raleigh-Durham area but it vanished without a trace!!

I have seen some good deals on the Midland and SEA stuff on ebay. I had an SEA for a while, I was not impressed by it!

I have heard rumors that Motorola has made a 220 mhz version of the Maxtrac for the European market but I can't confirm that.

Frank
f1uot

Post by f1uot »

hello,
there is no commercial-220 rigs in europe see the european information on http://www.ero.dk/>Frequency Plans>European Allocation ECA
this is tv broadcast frequency and in next time this will be a 1 band DAB frequency (Digital Audio Broadcast) as CD quality, better the FM

following the frequency plan in all europe without execptions...
216 223 MHz - BROADCASTING 5.235 ERC REC T/ R 52- 02 Existing TV transmitters according to stockholm Agreement 1961. The band 174- 230 MHz be reviewed for possible future applications after the introduction of T- DAB and DVB- T

223 225 MHz - BROADCASTING 5.246 ERC REC T/ R 52- 02 The band 174- 230 MHz be reviewed for possible future applications after the introduction of T- DAB and DVB- T

225 230 MHz - ERC REC T/ R 52- 02 This band is within the military tuning range 225- 400 MHz. T- DAB sharing with defence on national basis. The band 174- 230 MHz be reviewed for possible future applications after the introduction of T- DAB and DVB- T

so the 220 will not open for commercial and ham in Europe

best regards
olivier from PARIS
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

220 mHz band...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Someone should check to determine what mode(s) will be employed if/when Motorola markets radios for 220 mhz. For some reason or other my memory tells me that the systems will be digital/trunked, which would
pretty much kill their usefulness for ham work.

The idea right now is not, IMHO, to find commercial radios for 220 but rather to use the band so we don't lose it!

Tom, W2NJS
...in D.C.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MicorRT

Big M 220

Post by MicorRT »

As far as I know the big M is making 12.5 channel spaced FM LTR-Passport format. (Thats what I've heard.) I'm almost sure that it should be capable of convential but it may only work at 12.5 khz channel spacing.
MicorRT
10-95

220mhz Motorola

Post by 10-95 »

Sorry guys, in my post I mention European market, it should have read "Asian Market. The Gp's they make in 220mhz are pretty nice, you can find one on Ebay FROM time to time. A buddy of mine tells me that the Sea 220 stuff is strictly am not fm, anyone know if that's true??

Frank
MicorRT

SEA

Post by MicorRT »

Yes the SEA is a narrow band suppressed carrier AM... Very hard to setup and something that I intend to stay away from in the future. :(
MicorRT

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”