waking up for the pager

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

waking up for the pager

Post by jmr3865 »

Does anybody have any suggestions about waking up for the pager. I used a amp charger, it is worse with that. I even have one of those old plectrons. That doesnt do it either! I need help!
JMR
KC2QVO
stvnd53

WAKING UP 4 PAGER

Post by stvnd53 »

Put the pager on your wifes side of the bed.When it goes off in the middle of the night,she will throw it at you.If that don't wake you up,your on your owne!Learned this the hard way!
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I'm single!
JMR
KC2QVO
Station House Products
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

Post by Station House Products »

jmr3865 wrote:I'm single!
Lucky bastard. :evil: Good idea though Steve! :lol:
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

yea, too bad it wount work for me, but sounds good! You dont even have to ASK for that to happen!
JMR
KC2QVO
jim

Post by jim »

Install a trigger relay in the charger base with a latch circuit. Install a noise-maker of your choice along with a lamp to annoy the hell out of you. Using a 120V receptacle through the relay, you can plug in a standard lamp.

Sit the pager where you can't reach it in bed.

If that doesn't wake you up, use a Federal 350 series 120V buzzer.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

whats a trigger relay?
latch circuit?
whats a federal 350?
JMR
KC2QVO
Vern

Post by Vern »

Try an X-10 module. They used to make one that would turn on a lamp module whenever a relay was closed across it's terminals.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

what's an x10 module? I am looking for sound, not visual
JMR
KC2QVO
CuriousGeorge

Post by CuriousGeorge »

jmr3865 wrote:what's an x10 module? I am looking for sound, not visual
http://www.x10.com/
Bob

Post by Bob »

Get a vibrating pager and put it between a couple aluminum pie pans. Makes a hell of a racket.

The Federal 350 buzzer will wake the dead. Not for the faint of heart though.

Bet let me go here... if you are SO out of it that an amped charger won't wake you up, should you REALLY be running calls at that time anyway? At that point, it very well may become a safety issue.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

Use the relay output to trigger a mechanical Q-siren hooked up to a 24V power supply.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Well, that's one way to get help on fire calls.. if the neighbors aren't into it, they will be... or they will sleep otherwise...
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

An amp charger with the volume all the way up doesn't wake you up? Holy S*($#. If I turn the volume on mine all the way up, It will be a delayed response due to having to scrape myself off the cieling. It startles me out of bed so suddenly, my heat pounds hard enough that I'm surprised it doesn't break a rib.

Try getting an external speaker and plugging it into the charger's speaker jack. That will give you more bang. Maybe even a speaker that has a built in amplifier to make it even louder.

Don't take this personally, but if you have to ask what a relay and latching circuit is, it is probably better you not mess with 120vac switching. It would suck to have it be your own house that the page is going out for. This is something that nothing more than a louder speaker should solve.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

nmfire10 wrote:Don't take this personally, but if you have to ask what a relay and latching circuit is, it is probably better you not mess with 120vac switching. It would suck to have it be your own house that the page is going out for.
at least if it's his own house, he can be first onscene.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

thanks for the replies, Is there anything that I can get that is say, cheap? I have a siren speaker, Would I be able to hook that up to the pager?
JMR
KC2QVO
jim

Post by jim »

I like the idea of vibrate mode in a pair of pie pans!

Install a 1" wide shelf 4 feet above your bed where you sleep. Set the pager on the 1" wide shelf and place on vibrate mode.

For added effect, attach a weight to the pager.

When something hits you in the head, you have a call.
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

jmr3865 wrote:thanks for the replies, Is there anything that I can get that is say, cheap? I have a siren speaker, Would I be able to hook that up to the pager?
dude, i just want to reiterate this to you...there is something more fundamentally wrong than just "not loud enough" from the pager. How do you wake up for your job? Do you have some kind of sleep disorder? I would say that if a minitor exploding by your head can't wake you up, then i think that there are more pressing issues at hand.

look at the problem, not the hack job quick fixes. What happens when you start experiencing auditory loss from this super-minitor you want to build? Think workman's comp will cover it? How about your quality of life? Is it worth it?

I'd look for another line of work...
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

For added effect, attach a weight to the pager

Looks like he is wanting to stay awake for the page not fall back asleep before dispatch advises what that page is for
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I just want something cheap that will wake me up. The amp charger will not wake me up. I was wondering if there was a cheap little device, thats all! It's only when I am in a deep sleep. Otherwise, I do wake up!
JMR
KC2QVO
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

When I am at work I just turn up the base station to wake me up. If that doesn't work then my Engineer wakes me up. If I am at home and I don't hear my pager got off then most likely I am to tiered to do anything anyway and I would just end up worthless on scene anyway. And if it is a really bad call anyway where you deprtment just has to have you there they will find a way to tell you that they need you.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
EddieC

Re: waking up for the pager

Post by EddieC »

jmr3865 wrote:Does anybody have any suggestions about waking up for the pager. I used a amp charger, it is worse with that. I even have one of those old plectrons. That doesnt do it either! I need help!
A guy at work rigged up a battery powered siren to a micro-switch (a very sensitive switch, Click here for pictures.)

He put his pager on vibrate mode and put it up against the switch. When he got a page, it would "walk away" from the switch, triggering it, and set off the siren.

You can get a micro-switch that will handle 110VAC... use it to switch on a radio, lamp, vacuum cleaner, etc.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best ;-)

Eddie
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger. -Tolkien
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Plectron from hell.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

For the maximum in sound.
http://www.mallory-sonalert.com/
Connect one across the red indicator lamp.
Easy and cheap fix.
But, now you may want the speaker to make more noise.
Replace that chintzy speaker with something for car audio sound.
The speakers run around $25 a pair.
The sonalert is $12 tops.
Replace the indicator lamp with a 1 watt LED and you are all set.
Jay911

Post by Jay911 »

Yikes... an amplified base won't wake you? I used to be able to have my feet on the floor in the fraction of open carrier before the tones went off. But that's just me :)

If this pager has a pin that goes 'hot' on alert, like the Minitor II does (I don't recall if you said what you had), and you are comfortable with electronics or know someone who is, you could make all sorts of contraptions that would activate upon the alert pin going hot. My grandparents had a strobe and mechanical bells attached to their telephone - we got that from Radio Shack as a complete unit. You could do something similar. I also think there's a company out there that makes a 'bed shaker' (everyone keep your minds out of the gutter!) for deaf, hard of hearing, etc., that is normally tied into telephones or alarm clocks. But I don't recall exactly who makes it or where you'd get it.

Anyway, like I say, connect to the alert output and do all kinds of things.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

fire_master_21 wrote:When I am at work I just turn up the base station to wake me up. If that doesn't work then my Engineer wakes me up. If I am at home and I don't hear my pager got off then most likely I am to tiered to do anything anyway and I would just end up worthless on scene anyway. And if it is a really bad call anyway where you deprtment just has to have you there they will find a way to tell you that they need you.
Yep, you hear the tones drop again... second tone = get yer ass out of bed, on your feet, and move!
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

thebigphish wrote:
jmr3865 wrote:thanks for the replies, Is there anything that I can get that is say, cheap? I have a siren speaker, Would I be able to hook that up to the pager?
dude, i just want to reiterate this to you...there is something more fundamentally wrong than just "not loud enough" from the pager. How do you wake up for your job? Do you have some kind of sleep disorder? I would say that if a minitor exploding by your head can't wake you up, then i think that there are more pressing issues at hand.

look at the problem, not the hack job quick fixes. What happens when you start experiencing auditory loss from this super-minitor you want to build? Think workman's comp will cover it? How about your quality of life? Is it worth it?

I'd look for another line of work...
Damn, ragging on him pretty hard, aren't you?

I suspect he's pretty much like me. I sleep *really* soundly. I need to add a light to my amplified Min 4 to wake me up. Once I'm up and awake, I do just fine, but it takes quite a lot of impetus to get me to that stage. He's likely got the same problem. And believe me, it's not something that can be easily fixed.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

It's called sleep apnia, + I sleep VERY soundly. When I wake up, I am good to go. I wake up faster for a call, rather then work! I have a minitor 4! I am hoping to get something that bypasses the amp charger because I gave it away to somebody who will wake up for it, and not the standard charger since, it doesnt help me. Actually, I hear it more often with the reg charger then the amp when I do hear it!
JMR
KC2QVO
SonicSounds

heh

Post by SonicSounds »

Buy the louder, new and improved Minitor V!!

Jon
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Pager amp.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

Now I understand.
Yes, I also find the pagers speaker gets my attention more.
It is in part the frequency and tone of the sound, part the distance.
This is also true of car-kits for cell phones vs the built-in ringers.
I have the circle M car-kits headlamp flasher connected to a sonalert.
Not louder, checked with a dB meter, but clearer.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

is the v louder?

Would i be able to get the insert for the earphone jack for the IV and hook up a bigger speaker, would that work?
JMR
KC2QVO
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

There is a jack on the back of the amplified charger for a speaker. Just plug it into that.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I gave away my amp charger because it was hurting me instead of helping me, by that, I mean, i would wake up more with the standard charger, then the amp charger (when I did wake up, with wasnt often!)
JMR
KC2QVO
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

tvsjr wrote: Damn, ragging on him pretty hard, aren't you?
That's really not my intention...i have plenty of people in my dept w/ sleep apnea (including a chief who is next to useless after midnight), i was just saying that this louder and louder thing can't be good for him...on a physiological level. What's to say he doesn't hook up a 295HFS+ horn ring output to the alert line on the minitor, and airhorn himself awake....and blows a chamber of his heart out when he takes an adrenal gland full of adrenaline all at once? I'd be worried about chronic hearing loss (depending on the utilization level of his dept), his body's reaction to jolting away from a solid sleep, friends and family (who are not going to want to be in the same bldg with you), all these things...

Some people just aren't meant to wake up to certain things...

<grin>
or on the lighter side...

install the girlfriend module, compile it w/ the flags /stay-over-frequently & /light-sleeper & /early-morning-job... and then watch what happens when you get your first alert with just your minitor. Bet you that you won't miss a midnight scramble again.

</grin>
Last edited by thebigphish on Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Emsfreak

Post by Emsfreak »

I was in a bad mood and I started to read this post. Know I think I wet my pants. This has to be the best string so far this year. To funny. And I know what your talking about with the pager. The older I get the less I hear the pages. But at the same time a low noise will wake me up. I might be talking out my rear end but I feel that its the pitch of the tone. I wake up more for the Minitor II than my Mini IV. Or im just geting old :)
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I think I woke up for the 2 also.
JMR
KC2QVO
MotoVio
was VioLenT

Post by MotoVio »

If you could find a way to make 1 of these activate when a page came thru, it would be awesome... and scary :lol:

http://www.dactec.com/store/detail.tpl? ... y=personal

I own one, my friend got it from radioshack, My eardrums were almost Pwn3d by it several times, not a play-toy :x
kb9suy
What radios do you own?: too many!!

Post by kb9suy »

You would be suprised how many people dont wake up to the pager going off at night. It's the worst when your on shift an you get thrown out of bed to get woken up or you think your at home so you just roll over an reset it. One thing you might want to try is radio shack makes a speaker that can go in your pillow I did this and plugged it in the back of the amplified speaker it really did the job. I will say this the minitor2 tone sounds way different then the 3 an 4. Audio had more punch. Just my 2 cents.

The worst is that your so out of it you roll over an reset the pager and wake up in the mourning realzing that the tone out was for a fire or extrication an your mind just wasn't functioning. I hate that. Or come into the station an everyones wondering were you were last night for the big fire.
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I dont event wake up enough to reset it!
JMR
KC2QVO
thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

VioLenT wrote:If you could find a way to make 1 of these activate when a page came thru, it would be awesome... and scary :lol:

http://www.dactec.com/store/detail.tpl? ... y=personal

I own one, my friend got it from radioshack, My eardrums were almost Pwn3d by it several times, not a play-toy :x
not hard. latching circut off the minitor alert output from the amplified charger would close the trigger switch on the alarmy-thing.
th3n !t +00 c4n 0wN j00.

:o
Last edited by thebigphish on Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cowthief
Fail 01/90

Related front.

Post by Cowthief »

Hello.

You had to jar my memory.
We use a low power transmitter for the Islamic Azan, the call to prayer.
The radios can be anything from a pager set for carrier, scanner, what have you.
In quite a few cases, the pagers audio is sent to an external speaker.
A small electric guitar amp seems to work best for the older people.
As you age, you lose the ability to sense the higher notes.
A guitar anp is usually set up for the lower notes, and the things are somewhat inexpensive, at least in the smaller sizes.
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Waking up for pager...

Post by kb4mdz »

Well, everyone, granted it's on the expensive side, but if you feel you must be woken up, there's a lot that could be done with the Federal Tone Alert Receiver:

http://www.federalwarningsystems.com/pr ... ?prodid=25

Very versatile, very programmable, 2 sets of SPDT relay contact outputs, & audio output. And then look on sites for hearing & vision impaired people for flashers, bed-shakers (don't even think of going there, guys!!) and such.

http://www.accessibleenvironments.net/h ... mpared.htm
http://store.yahoo.com/phonemerchants/amalbedshak.html
or how about this little baby added on:
http://www.phonemerchants.com/wheeltelstro.html

(tho I loved thebigphish's "install girlfriend module.."; but I've already done that & married her before I started carrying an on call pager!)

Flash of insight!: Instead of a bell, buzzer or what have you, a recording of a baby crying its lungs out!!! (but wife claims I >never< woke for our kids!)

Chuk Gleason
Cary, NC
jim

Post by jim »

Here you go. Let's mount this on top of your house.

http://www.jmarcoz.com/sirens/eureka2.jpg
stvnd53

Post by stvnd53 »

Are you sure it's you?Motorola makes a pager that only goes off for"WORKING FIRE,MVA ROLLOVER.,etc"Every dept buys a few of these!Oh,and yes Plectron did make a few of these,also.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

Ummm. Hold on a second here. What the hell does Sleep Apnea have to do with this?? Plus, if you actually had this disorder, I would think you'd know how to spell it.

Sleep Apnea has nothing to do with not waking up or sleeping deeply. It is a disorder that interupts your breathing while asleep, hence the apnea and sleep. I don't see what this has to do with waking up for the pager.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

thebigphish

Post by thebigphish »

from what little i know, is that the apnea disrupts the normal sleeping patterns...to the point where the body compensates the apneic times (how ever short they may be) with longer periods of deeper sleep at random intervals...

so the apnea prevents the body from sleeping normally, and it kind of fluctuates. That's what my (so inflicted) chief told me, but what do white hats know? :o
x1sspic
What radios do you own?: AstroSpectra XTS3K XTS5K APX7K

Post by x1sspic »

Sleep apnea (OSA) can be a very serious disorder. You can find info about it here: http://www.sleepapnea.org/

A friend of mine has this disorder, and when she was tested in a sleep lab, was found to have hundreds of periods of apnea during the time she was there, with her oxygen saturation dropping as low as 30% during these episodes. In any event, when afflicted with this disorder, you never get rested sleep. You fall asleep easily (during meetings, while driving... etc.). There is treatment for it - and I believe there was recently an article about this in JEMS for those of you that have access to it. I also happen to have mild OSA, and was fortunate to be able to have a sleep lab nearby that I could be tested at.
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

I know someone who has it.

He went to the sleep clinic twice, forked over a huge wad of cash, and not a damn thing happened when he was there. Always happens at home or anywhere else, but not in the sleep clinic.
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

I still don't see how it prevents you from waking up, or makes you SO tired that global thermo-nuclear war won't wake you up. Does it just casue such a lack of sleep that you are so tired you can't get up?
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Lack of sleep. Had a friend who didn't realize it until he was driving his Porsche and almost passed completely out behind the wheel. Me? I make certain I combat it with as much caffine as possible if I feel sleepy. I don't drive sleepy. The way I drive, you can't.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”