900 Mhz Spectra mod to ham band

This forum is for the discussions targeted at converting various models of Motorola equipment to operate in the 900MHz Amateur Band.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

hwstar

900 Mhz Spectra mod to ham band

Post by hwstar »

I have a 900Mhz spectra model ID D37KGA5JE7AK and have a few questions about the model number decode.

When determining the control head is this an "E7" control head, and what
does E (Enhanced) give you (or take away) that a standard A7 head does not?

The model indicates it is a trunking radio. Does this mean that only 10 conventional channels will be supported? If so, is there any way to modify it to accept more conventional channels.

Thanks,

Steve
WA6ZFT
d119

Post by d119 »

Didn't it go that the "E" series Spectras were SmartZone capable?... I think so...

The model nomenclature dictates the "E" as "Enhanced"...

What could possibly be on 900MHz in So Cal that would require more than 10 channels? I only have about 8 in my MTS 2000.
hwstar

Post by hwstar »

Actually, there are 900MHz HAM repeaters popping up at the rate of 2 every 6 months or so in San Diego/LA . But you are right, I don't have all 10 channels programmed.... yet.

After digging on the Internet, It looks like this radio is a also called the "Spectra E" or "Spectra 2" Smartnet capable radios. It also appears that the codeplug limits you from putting more than 10 conventional channels into the radio.

I'd be real interested in knowing if anyone has successfuly hacked the codeplug to get more than 10 conventional channels.

Steve
WA6ZFT
1motoman

Post by 1motoman »

The "AK" in the model number is 10 channels - convential
If you find a " BK" it will do 128 channels - convential
Dennis
d119

Post by d119 »

Nothin like those good old "convential" channels... Or however he spelled it.

Steve, I'm in the same County you are. Contact me via PM... I have some 900 gear here I wouldnt mind using, maybe you can give me some frequencies..

Return to “Converting Motorola Equipment to 900MHz Amateur”