How to take a Motorola mic apart

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Radiobuff

How to take a Motorola mic apart

Post by Radiobuff »

Got a bunch of those little little palm hmn1056d mics that I would like to take apart to clean but there screw-less. Anyone know how to pop them open or are they hopeless?
Thanks
Wayne
kd6kml

Post by kd6kml »

They are disposable. You can't open them without breaking them. Work carefully with some Simple Green, that's what I do.

Josh
Radiobuff

Post by Radiobuff »

Thanks I kinda thought maybe they where glued I have a few that I thought I could get into to clean the switch. Maybe now I`ll break one apart and see.
Thanks
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

They can be opened and re-glued, but its a pain in the you know what.

What i have done is put a heavy rag or towel into a bench vise to keep the vise from damaging the mic, then put the mic in and very slowly tighten it down, go really really slow, and if your lucky you will get the side seams to pop, then just repeat the process with the mic in the vise the other way. A thin tool like a butter knife works good for a wedge to work around the seam.

I have done a few, but for the most part it's easier to buy a replacement. Though if you have a bunch of used ones and need to save some money it is entirely possible with some work to get them open.

To close them back up what i usually do is just a small amount of super glue gel on the inside edge where the front and back shells slide together. Don't use too much or it will go all over the place when you put the halves back together, the gel also helps it stay in place and not run. A dab will do ya, you don't have to go all the way around. Just a little bit on each side.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
Max-trac
Batboard $upporter

Post by Max-trac »

...and if the PTT switch is bad, you can't really clean it...I don't know if you can order just the switch...
Radiobuff

Post by Radiobuff »

Thanks Iam still working on getting one apart. The switch sounds like a micro-switch which sometimes you can drill a small hole off to the side and then fill her up with contact cleaner then drain it out and plug the hole.
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

Opening a Motorola mic...

Post by kb4mdz »

The itty-bitty palm mic? (note to self; do NOT insert naughty label about this mic, comparing it to fluffy kittens and such...)

Open it with a BFH. Then attach a new one to the end of the cord. Then replace the ratty coil cord.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

For all the time and care you'll take to open it so you can put it back together again, just buy another one on eBay for $6.

Bob M.
ab8ru

mot mike

Post by ab8ru »

In my experience in throw away stuff its basically history.
I asked a freind about this repair kit for DTMF contacts on those rubberized switches, same answer you're throwing your money away.

You know he's right !
AB8RU Mark
Radiobuff

Got it

Post by Radiobuff »

I did get it apart and it was what I expected a dirty ptt switch so a bunch of contact cleaner and it works like a champ. But I believe the next one I will postion a small hole with a drill bit on the back side right over the switch just enough that I can get the straw thru to flood the sucker.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: Got it

Post by wavetar »

Radiobuff wrote:I did get it apart and it was what I expected a dirty ptt switch so a bunch of contact cleaner and it works like a champ. But I believe the next one I will postion a small hole with a drill bit on the back side right over the switch just enough that I can get the straw thru to flood the sucker.
That is not bad idea at all...never occured to me.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
kcbooboo
Batboard $upporter

Post by kcbooboo »

Of course, the trick is knowing exactly where to drill the hole, and not go too deep, and not flood it so much that you destroy the mike element in the process.

What else was inside besides the PTT switch? A mike and preamp?

Bob M.
Radiobuff

Post by Radiobuff »

Inside looks just like a mostar mic but smaller. Theres 3 snaps that hold the mic cases togather and I didnt glue them back because I didnt see no sense in it plus if you need a picture of whats inside I can do it and also to beable to map out where to drill the hole on the next one. Someone had mentioned just to throw it away and buy one off of eBay but the problem is that these 10 came off of eBay and had 4 that were bad but keep in mind they were all tested as good ya right !

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”