OT: Vertex Standard VX180

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jmr3865
2 Warnings for RSS/CPS Wanted/For Sale
What radios do you own?: KW tk2170, tk730, etc.

OT: Vertex Standard VX180

Post by jmr3865 »

I have a Vertex Standard VX180 working as a pager. I have my tones in there. It goes off for my department and another town on the same frequency. I have tried everything. Any help would be appreciated. The tones are not the same.
JMR
KC2QVO
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

bump
JMR
KC2QVO
kb4mdz
What radios do you own?: Too many for the time I have.

VX-180; (OK, it's not Motorola!)

Post by kb4mdz »

What are the two pairs of tones that are actually setting off your pager, and what pair is programmed into the pager?

I've got some familiarity with VX-180's & such....

Chuk
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

1130.0 and 992.0
JMR
KC2QVO
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I can send you the file.
JMR
KC2QVO
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

jmr3865 wrote:1130.0 and 992.0
Ok. Is that the pair programmed or the pair for the other agency that is falsing it? Answer the question completely or there is nothing we can do.
"I'll eat you like a plate of bacon and eggs in the morning. "
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:
Me: "What exactly is a 900Mhz UHF CB?"
Them: "A very nice CB at 900Mhz speed!"

:-?
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

sorry, I misunderstoof. They are my company tones and the pair that are setting off the radio and are in the radio. I do not think that the other town that is setting the radio off has the same tones as we have the same dispatch agency, frequency and it does not happen on the pagers. just the vertex.
JMR
KC2QVO
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

See if you can find out what the other agency's tones are. It is possible they are close enough that the Vertex is falsing on it.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

If the vertex is falsing it, how can I fix it?
JMR
KC2QVO
kb4mdz

VX-180 falsing

Post by kb4mdz »

That's the point of asking you for the tones of the other agency; we can't help you without more information; maybe one of your tones is too close to one of the other agency's and the Vertex decoder is too wide. Maybe the transmission from dispatch is overdriven and causing distortion in your Vertex RX;

( In my experience, the Minitor II's were much more forgiving of improper TX audio levels of the paging tones than the Minitor 3's; a characteristic of the type of filter used in the 2's. All that I've ever surmised about the 3's decoding has to do with counting zero-crossings of the tone. If the tone goes too far into clipping before the zero-crossing detector, you'll end up counting the crossings of the harmonics generated by the clipping. At least, that's my working theory, and I'm sticking with it, because the 3's & 4's >>SUCK SO BAD!!!<<)

And that brings up the other question: What kind of pagers are your and the other department using?

Inquiring mind;
Chuk
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

I cant find out any infor about the other agency. We use 2,3's and 4's. What could I do to my radio to fix this?
JMR
KC2QVO
kb4mdz

VX-180 question...

Post by kb4mdz »

Can you call the head of dispatch center and get that info? It seems like a reasonable request to make. Seems to me 'twould be in interest of dispatch to not have you responding to false page-outs.

Don't know yet what you can do to the radio to fix it; that will depend on the other answers that come up.

Chuk
jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

Some how, I don't think they will give me that info. I know it's not me because they don't say our station number. They say the other agencies!
JMR
KC2QVO
bjlf

Post by bjlf »

Dont take this the wrong way:

Do you have radio scaning, is the page channel on, do you only get the page from the 2 departments or do you get any other traffic?

The biggie do you have the programing software and adapter to make changes?
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

jmr3865 wrote:Some how, I don't think they will give me that info. I know it's not me because they don't say our station number. They say the other agencies!
Then have someone official in your department make the phone call. There is nothing anyone here is going to be able to suggest without that information.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

jmr3865

Post by jmr3865 »

It is NOT on scan

the channel IS correct.

I am not recieve any traffic except for after it pages our for my department and this other department

I HAVE the software and cable.

Somtimes, the stupid questions find out your problems.
JMR
KC2QVO
nmfire10
Batboard $upporter

Post by nmfire10 »

All of those are good valid answers to valid questions. However the fact still remains that no one is going to be able to draw a conclusive answer without knowing the other tones.
- Some loser on rr.com

eBay at it's finest:

Will

Post by Will »

" I am not recieve any traffic except for after it pages our for my department and this other department "

"exccept .. after it (the VX180) pages out ...from my department"
When the VX180 pages out, the radio un-mutes and will 'hear' other departments on the same frequency/radio channel. The VX180 will remain in the 'monitor' mode until reset by you.
wa2zdy

Post by wa2zdy »

They are very tight lipped about pager tones here in this county. He's asked, nobody will tell him. I LIVE in the district of the "other" company he's talking about and I don't know the tones. So he's kinda up a tree.

There is valid concern about pager tones being misused. It's happened before and while not a big secret, nobody is going to just freely give out that info. The basic premise is no 16 yr old kid needs pager tones. If he's a member, he'll have them. If he's a member of the company in his town, they should be willing to help him. If he's not a member there, he should deal like every other scanner user - listen to it all.

He has tried though and is not having any luck getting the info.
Chris,
Hamming 31 years
http://www.wa2zdy.com
Wesley Chapel, Pasco County, Florida
Snow? What's that?!
The human race is proof that Darwin was wrong.
radio259

Post by radio259 »

:roll: program, if not already, one channel ony for paging. No pl on receive, and disable the bell option in programming. Some of the early ones we missed this in programming and had false activations.

Since we went this way in programming, no problems. We have about 210 sold for paging only.

PB

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”