HT1000 RSS Operability on XP

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Rayjk110
Banned

HT1000 RSS Operability on XP

Post by Rayjk110 »

Hello. I am trying to program up a few HT1000's here for a trip after christmas with the same RSS I always use. (Stupidly enough, I sold my programming laptop [software ereased, obviously] and decided do upgrade to a desktop.) Well, the desktop is a Gateway GP6-350 running Windows XP Home with 256 ram. It is a Pentium II 348MHz. Hey, it may not be the best, but it'll 'git-r-done' for what I need it to, except, program HT1000's. SO, back to the point. Is there anyway I can start up the machine with DOS or DOS prompt and run the RSS, or do I need to install a different OS on one of my other HD's and use it as a secondary for programming?? I don't program my HT1k's much, so I would prefer to be able to boot up the computer in DOS some way and do it. Is there any possible way? (just FYI, there is a ZIP drive if I would be able too boot off of that with RSS)

Thanks for any help you guys can give.
Happy Holidays,
-Ray.
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

Easiest thing to do would be to creat a DOS boot disk and copy the HT1000 RSS onto it (assuming it would fit) and boot from the disk. Other than that, you could just create a small (less than 10MB) FAT16 partition in disk administrator in your admin tools then copy the HT1000 RSS files over there. Boot from your DOS boot disk and then change directory to that partition (which assuming your XP is NTFS, the DOS boot disk will only recognize the small FAT16 parition you created anyway) and then run the RSS.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

You may also encounter a processor speed issue with that machine. What's the 'model' and release date of your RSS? If it is model RVN-4098H issued in May of '98 or later, you should be OK. If it's a prior revision, I wouldn't suggest trying it on that box. Otherwise, as WC4RAV stated, just boot from a DOS boot disk. If you need one, you can get it here.
The file you download from that link will be a self-extracting image file. Make sure you have a blank, formatted floppy disk in your floppy drive before extracting it, as that is where you will want to extract it to.
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
RKG

Post by RKG »

Virtually every IS department in any outfit of any size has a box in the back room filed with 486 DOS laptops just waiting to be thrown away. They'll usually give you one for the asking. Wipe out the disk and reinstall either MS-DOS 6.22 or PC-DOS 7.0. In fact, ask for two, and you'll have a hangar queen to canabalize to keep the other running.
K8TEK
"Dark Chocolate"
What radios do you own?: Dynatac

Post by K8TEK »

You are running XP on a 350MHz machine? That must be awfully slow :o
K8TEK::Tim
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

K8TEK wrote:You are running XP on a 350MHz machine? That must be awfully slow :o
I was running it on a first gen P-233MHz w/128MB of EDO RAM for a while. As long as you choose "run for best performance" in the options, and don't bog it down with any sort of anti-virus, it hums along just fine.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

Same here. Got it going on a dual boot 300 Pentium... it's off the network.. and relativley lite on other applications besides some CPS. Runs perfectly SSSSSMMMMMOOOOOOOTTTHHHHHH.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
kf4sqb
What radios do you own?: I can't enter that much....

Post by kf4sqb »

I've also ran XP on a 350 MHz PIII, with no problems. Actually had a fair amount of stuff going on on it, too. IIRC, I only had about 128 meg of RAM in it. Certainly wouldn't advise trying this with the minumum amount or RAM suggested for XP!
kf4sqb "at" wetsnet "dot" com

Look for the new "Jedi" series portables!

Bat-Phone= BAT-CAVE (2283)

-.- .. ....- -.-. -.-- . .. ... -- -.-- -... .-. --- - .... . .-. .-.-.-
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

running XP Pro SP2 on this old Compaq Armada 7800 Intel mobile PII 300MHz with 192MB of RAM and runs beautifully. Actually, I had W2K SP4 on here and it was actually SLOWER to boot and run than XP Pro. I don't run any of that security crap, and never have a problem. I can browse the web, open winamp or Media player and play MP3's and OLE runs in the background..no problemo.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.
Rayjk110
Banned

Post by Rayjk110 »

Thanks for all the help, guys. Now I need to go on the hunt for some floppys'. Well when I originally got the machine it only had 67Mb of RAM, and damn that thing was pretty slow. The RAM upgrade made the world of a difference on that one.

Have a safe and happy holiday,

-Ray

Return to “Radio Programming”