Toughbook CF-50----WTF?

This forum is dedicated to the general computer related issues we all come across on a daily basis, such as e-mail/Internet/Operating System/virus/spyware, etc questions & problems.

As we are primarily a radio discussion group, your mileage may vary on the responses.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

TWL911

Toughbook CF-50----WTF?

Post by TWL911 »

so, I recently aquired a CF-50 from work as surplus, machine had spent it entire life of 2 +/- years in a cruiser, maintained by our inhouse IT guys.

I loaded XP onto when I got it, fresh and legal. no problems since. Fast forward 10 weeks to yesterday, I hadn't booted the machine in about a week, plugged it in(battery is DEAD, as it was used as a MDT)
hit the power button and NOTHING. tried my 12v cord as well to elimante something stupid like a bad power supply, no go!

I'm thinking motherboard ?????

is it worth replacing, or should I part it out, and buy something new?

I'm only out $50 for the machine, and $200 for XP home.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Try removing the battery and then powering it up with either an ac or dc supply again.

The battery might have shorted internally if it went bad. I had a CF-27 do that, the battery had a dead short inside and would keep the laptop from powering up.

A CF-50 for $50? Wow.. send me one.. lol
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
TWL911

Post by TWL911 »

Tried that, No DICE.

Yup,$50, we sold 10 of them at that price, the city sells all it "surplus" computers once a year. desktops and laptops are $50, printers are $35. All very well maintained.

It looks like this machine may still be under warranty, we'll see tomorrow.
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Damn, wish i could get them for that price around here!

Check on that warranty, maybe you will get lucky.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

dude, if you get any more....LET ME KNOW!!!! If you want to wing it out to someone... :-)
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Sweet deal for $50.00..

My 360CSE IBM had a DOA battery and never booted with it in the computer, I had to remove it in order to get it to boot, then I could slap it back in and attempt to charge the battery.

This 'trick' worked 99% of the time, but every so often, I had to remove-replace-remove-replace the battery to get the darned thing to boot, like it was 'posessed' or something....very strange to require multiple battery swap-outs to get boot-up.

Now, for some readon, I have yet to have the battery in the machine, and it boots every time...never any more problems, and I have no clue as to why this is now so.

A year later, the battery has been long recycled and I don't need to worry about this trouble, but it is odd that it occurred in the first place.

Now all I have to worry about is saving all the codeplugs to floppies to reduce the clutter of this tiny H.D.

$50.00 huh...???

Some people get all the sweet deals :o
TWL911

Post by TWL911 »

Well, now I am really confused! As I am using said laptop to type this message.

I had pulled the HDD to copy my files before I took it to my IT guy. after reinstalling the drive, and throwing away the dead battery I plugged it in and hit the power button just for S&G's. and here I am, using my $50 toughbook again! :lol:

Now if the USELESS Postal Service would just find my XTS3000 with brand new MIII housing,display,and keypad that is somewhere between me and another batlabbers house (only about a 5 hour drive) that has yet to be delivered, 8 days for priority mail ?????
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

TWL911 wrote:Now if the USELESS Postal Service would just find my XTS3000 with brand new MIII housing,display,and keypad that is somewhere between me and another batlabbers house (only about a 5 hour drive) that has yet to be delivered, 8 days for priority mail ?????
it took them 5 days to deliver a bid i submitted via priority mail, and it was mailed across town... perhaps 12 miles as the crow flies. more interestingly, the letter was somehow delivered at 530am on a sunday :o
wmerch80
What radios do you own?: HT-1000, MT-2000, XTS5000

Post by wmerch80 »

I had an experience like that with a new CF-29 recently. The mobile docking station was shorting the computer out. Every time I placed the computer in the dock it would not boot. Then in order to get it to boot once I took it back out I had to remove the battery, remove the hard drive, plug it into a power cord, unplug it, put everything back in and then it would boot normally. Darndest thing I ever came across.
Willie | w3iou

Return to “Computer/Technical Assistance”