Where to find a 486 Class Laptop?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

USSZulu2

Where to find a 486 Class Laptop?

Post by USSZulu2 »

Hi Everyone...

I have been looking around my area (Pittsburgh PA) for a 486 laptop. Problem is it seems no one has any. I looked on EBay but am not too comfortable getting one there (Too many people with EXTREAMLY bad feedback, or the computer is a PARTS computer, or the shipping is 100 ((Yes one hundred)) dollars). Does anyone have any ideas where I could even start looking? This is starting to get really frustraiting...Thank you

-Bob
Splat

Post by Splat »

Your best bet is a computer show. We get them around here every couple of months. It's just like a Hamfest but it's all PC stuff. I've seen hundreds of old, working laptops for sale at these things every time. Google around and I'm sure you'll find one in your area.
440roadrunner

Post by 440roadrunner »

I still think your best bet might be ebay. Something like a Thinkpad 360 series comes to mind. You just need to do some searching, and watch feedback. I did, however, just buy a Compaq (not my favorite brand)--real nice little P75, complete with working copy of Winhoed95 for FIVE BUCKS at the local ST. Vinn'ies. I couldn't test it there because there was no power supply, which is why I got it so cheap.

I was astounded to find that most of the drivers are still posted at the HP/Comcrap site.
n7maq
What radios do you own?: Mocom 70 w/scan!!

Post by n7maq »

Check http://www.Craigslist.org for your area. You may need to put want add out, that will help find the older units. Also I found an old true blue IBM unit at Goodwill for $10.00.

Jim.
wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

Newsgroups are a fantastic way to find just about anything in one's local area. One newsgroup in my area recently turned into a forum similar to Batlabs, but still the same great deals:

http://www.hfx4sale.com/index.php/board,10.0.html

If you haven't used newsgroups before, you can read a bit about them here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroup

Find a newsgroup for your area, and you'll be able to get a 486 in exchange for a large coffee!

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
RKG

Post by RKG »

Most large brokerage houses and related financial institutions have a room (or two) filled with obsolete equipment, including older generation laptops. I acquired a handful of NEC 486 machines from one, created a smaller number of working machines from the group, and have kept the rest as "hangar queens" from which to salvage parts.
USSZulu2

Thank you! =)

Post by USSZulu2 »

Thank you everyone for your feedback! =)

I accually was able to locate one as a result of this thread =)

-Bob
mancow
Batboard $upporter

Post by mancow »

My favorite programming computer is the Panasonic CF-25 Toughbook. They are cheap and rugged as hell.
AHSGA

Post by AHSGA »

I've ordered two from ebay, and neither were suitable. The shipping was a killer. The one that I'm using was as a result of a posting on our local ham radio reflector email list. It was free.

Regards

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”