Centracom Console

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wb4bli

Centracom Console

Post by wb4bli »

Can someone tell me if this is worth me having? Is this Centracom II or what? Do I need a CEB for it?

swest

Post by swest »

Looks like the original Centracom I. I don't think you need a CEB. It would probably be a fair bit of work to get it going, but I have seen some manuals from time to time hit ebay.

If you don't decide to keep it, let me know where it is, if its anywhere local I would be interested. These are the type consoles that inspired me on my first dispatch walk through, and while volunteering as an explorer. I would enjoy the work of getting them going.
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

Definatly an original Centracom 1
Hope you like wires cause its full of them, hundreds ao little jumpers to configure.
Last time I saw one was on the Non Urban train radio sysytem for the state of Victoria in Australia. I think we installed about 8 of them back in the early- mid eighties
wb4bli

console

Post by wb4bli »

Ok Thanks, but how do you hook them to your radios and how do you do paging? QCII and Plectron? What all do I need to hook them up? They as far as I know power up and were removed from working duty about 2/3 years ago in NC.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

You need a CEB. This is the cardcage full of wires and interfaces. This Centracom is NOT a plug/plug kind of thing. In addition, it greatly helps in having installation/install knowledge to get one up and running.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

centracom 1 does not have a CEB
All the wiring in hard and appears on screw connectors behind on a swing out rear panel.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

Oops, thats right. I was still thinking of a II.

We had a I at the EMS building. All we ended up doing was mounting Maxtrac's and scanners into it. After all that work with 30 year old consoles, we concluded while it looked nice, a couple of control stations would have been much easier.

But thats when we were younger and bored.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

We had FSK encoders in the back to talk to spectratac sites that did channel steering.
We also had an MDC600 signaling system attached to the consoles so you could do radio checks, pages, recieve emergency calls and tell who was calling.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”