Type II on a Type I radio?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

bellersley
No Longer Registered

Type II on a Type I radio?

Post by bellersley »

Awhile ago somebody posted information/instructions on how you could make a Type I radio receive Type II talkgroups. IIRC, there was a formula/spreadsheet you need. Does anyone know how to make this work? I've got a radio here that receives a local SmartNet system just fine, it's programmed as a Type I system. However, the System ID isn't even close to what the actual SysID is, and the size code, etc.. doesn't seem to correlate to anything that would be logical.

Thanks!
chipjumper
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 for work

Post by chipjumper »

What radio are you talking about specifically? The type one Maxtrac's and MTX800's can be made to work with type II I believe. Search the forums and you should quickly find something.

"A pint of sweat saves a gallon of blood." -Patton
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Re: Type II on a Type I radio?

Post by Twisted_Pear »

bellersley wrote:Awhile ago somebody posted information/instructions on how you could make a Type I radio receive Type II talkgroups. IIRC, there was a formula/spreadsheet you need. Does anyone know how to make this work?
You're going to use sizecode A with a radio id of 0. The radio id is important and cannot be any other value (it represents the 'status bit' for a Type II TG). With sizecode A in mind you need to run one of the II to I conversion tools. I can't find the spreadsheet online at the moment but I have it on the computer somewhere. If you have many TGs to convert PM and I'll get it to you somehow. Otherwise, there is a DOS utility called "H2F" that will convert either a hex or decimal TG ID into all available sizecode formats. It's available here.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”