Mitrek Value?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

M4Gunner

Mitrek Value?

Post by M4Gunner »

A friend of mine has a Motorola Mitrek in his vehicle. Our department has recently changed frequencies, and the local shop says that they can't get his radio onto our new freqs.

If he were to sell it, what would it be worth?

Mitrek
VHF
100% Functional

Thanks, Don
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Mitrek...

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Just out of curiousity...

1. What band is the radio now on?
2. What is the new frequency or repeater pair?
3. Is the new "frequency" actually a trunked system, maybe?

There could be several reasons why your shop said the old
radio won't work on the new system.

Offhand price of a nice Mitrek with accessories included would
be $50 to $150. I bought a NOS unit a couple of years ago with
one channel installed, all unused accessories, and the factory
build sheet, for about $75.00. It was a VHF set.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
M4Gunner

Post by M4Gunner »

It's on the VHF band the freqs now on it are around 153-157.

New system is around the same freqs, just different. The shop said they couldn't get the crystals for the new freqs.

I was hoping for $300-$400 so he could get an updated radio - guess not.

Where would be the best place to look for the parts needed to change the freqs on the radio?

Thanks
Don
ard099

Post by ard099 »

The new freqs are probably narrowband freqs so you probably can't use the mitrek anyways. The mitrek is a good radio, but its getting time to look at a new one.
SlimBob

Post by SlimBob »

Good luck getting someone to take a Mitrek off your hands... Good radio, just no one interested in them when for a few $$$ you can get a synth rig.
k2hz

Post by k2hz »

You would need to get the channel elements recrystaled and calibrated for the new frequencies. This typically costs about $50 or more per element and you need both TX and RX so it is $100 or more per channel.

This is an obsolete radio so it would not make much sense to invest that money in it. If Mitreks sell at all now, it is more like $25 and I have seen a lot of them wind up in the dumpster.

The Mitrek does not meet standards for narrow band operation.

If you want to dump money into the channel elements, the two major vendors that do this are Bowmar and International Crystal Mfg. You send them your existing elements and they rebuild them. You can sometimes get rebuilt elements from their stock but this is very expensive.
M4Gunner

Post by M4Gunner »

Good deal

Thanks everyone for your replies. I do believe the new freqs are narrowband, cause my scanner can't scan them. (BC350A)

I'll let him know...

Don
AHSGA

Post by AHSGA »

I just spent $100 for channel elements from IC. (Receive and Transmit)
MTS2000des
What radios do you own?: XTS2500, XTS5000, and MTS2000

Post by MTS2000des »

and honeslty, why invest anything into an almost 30 year old radio which has zero support from the manufacturer (officially) when the same money can buy you a new, narrowband compliant mobile for under 500 dollars installed?

it was a good radio in it's day, back when AM only radios came as standard equipment from Detroit and the first PC had less than a meg of RAM max.

seriously, time to buy a new radio.
The views here are my own and do not represent those of anyone else or the company, the boss, his wife, his dog or distant relatives.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”