FPP portables

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

libuff

FPP portables

Post by libuff »

the Front Panel Programmable question has arisen on the Buy/Trade/Sell boards...

since i am not exactly sure how legitimate the XTS5000 or 2500 with a flashport for FPP is, unless you are the feds..

What other companies are selling P25 UHF or VHF (grumble), and have either FPP options, or standard features?
Hartley
Batboard $upporter

FPP

Post by Hartley »

Hi libuff,

The EFJ 5100 series (Vhf, UHF & 800) have an FPP option, as does the B-K DPH Series (not sure what bands). Both, however, due to FCC regulations, are "Government Only" options.

73 DE Hartley
Grog
On Moderation

Re: FPP

Post by Grog »

Hartley wrote: The EFJ 5100 series (Vhf, UHF & 800) have an FPP option, as does the B-K DPH Series (not sure what bands). Both, however, due to FCC regulations, are "Government Only" options.

So they don't make a "dongle" version for non-fed use?
fail999
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: APX7K, XTS, XTL and on and on

FPP portables

Post by fail999 »

The Vertex 925 series P25 radios are FPP as well as the new Midland STP and STM P25 portables and Mobiles. Don't know about KWD but I would bet that they have something. Of course you have to "know" the right people to get the how-to information.

fail999
libuff

Post by libuff »

yeah, the Kenwood 5210/5310 is reported to also be FPP... but is it clear across the board that the FPP is for Government only?
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

FPP

Post by Tom in D.C. »

The FCC prohibits FPP on commercial radios.
This does not apply to Fed radios; these follow NTIA rules.
Also obviously does not apply to amateur radios, all of which
by their nature are FPP.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
Firebuff66
NOT ALLOWED TO BUY/SELL/TRADE

XTS

Post by Firebuff66 »

You can order the Q53 FPP option on any XTS2500 or 5000 you want. its fully FCC approved..The Q52 is the federal option for the same thing.
fire_master_21
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: Motorola/Kenwood

Post by fire_master_21 »

but if you have ever had Q52 it hard to go back to Q53 or PC programming. Although PC is still needed from some things.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Cipher77

Post by Cipher77 »

How much is the flash option for FPP through Moto?
The Grabbing Hands, Grab all they can. Everything counts in large amounts. Martin L. Gore
fogster
What radios do you own?: XTS2500/5000, XPR7550/5550

Re: FPP

Post by fogster »

Tom in D.C. wrote:The FCC prohibits FPP on commercial radios.
A lot of 'cheaper' radios are FPP, including some that I'm pretty sure are FCC-certified. There are all sorts of no-name imports that probably lack FCC cert, but what about the Relms, which I'm pretty sure are both FCC-certified and FPP? How do they get around the no-FPP regulations? (Or are the FPP ones not for US sale? I've never bought one, so I wouldn't know.)
mr.syntrx

Post by mr.syntrx »

The Thales 25 is FPP from the factory, yet is FCC Part 90 certified. It asks for a password before letting you change frequency information though, so I guess that counts as access control as far as Uncle Charlie is concerned. Icom radios also ask for a password, if I recall correctly.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”