Spectras Won't Read

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

twowaytekk

Spectras Won't Read

Post by twowaytekk »

I have several A9 and A3 high power Spectras that I can't get read. When a read of the codeplug is attempted, "Power Fault" and "Serial Bus Error" are received. I have tried two aftermarket RIBs, (both have read Spectras before, one was connected direclty to AC for power and the other had a new battery) and two normal cables. I even tried a RFguys ribless cable to no avail. I'm starting to think they may have been setup for emergency TX, as the A9 heads have the button, but the jumper (JU502) on the command board is in place, and the emergency jumper (JU0516). Also the computer is a old slow 486 in true DOS, and it have been used before, no problems.

Any ideas?
smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Re: Spectras Won't Read

Post by smokeybehr »

Let's start with the stupid questions first:

Do the Spectras power up normally?
Home built or factory cable (RIB to radio)?
COM port settings correct in the RSS?
RIB power and radio power from the same source (or fresh battery in the RIB)?
Do all the sockets in the DB-25 on the radio look o.k.?

Have you read another Spectra with a known good setup, then read one of the "new" radios?

If anyone can think of anything I'm forgetting speak up...
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
Jongage
What radios do you own?: Alot of old Motorolas

Post by Jongage »

I was having the same problem. I tracked mine down to the comm port that was disabled within the stock settings in my IBM laptop. The BIOS in my computer did not allow any changes, it was all accomplished a software utility from IBM that was really hard to track down because the computer is 13 years old. I used alot of other comm port checking utilities that all said the port was "ok". Well it was "ok", it just wasnt turned on.

Hope this helps, if you have an older IBM laptop I can send you the utility software if you PM me your email.
Will

Post by Will »

Had a simmular problem, was getting BUSY LINE LOCKED errors.

I rebuilt my High power, DB25 to DB25 Spectra cable with sheilded pair for the BUS+ and BUS- lines. These needed to be balanced. The3 errors went away..
Also pin 12 on the RIB end should have 12 volts to power the RIB.

Also see:Some research has been done with the original RIB, and some modifications have been make to some of the values to make the circuit more compatible with RS232. The modified schematic can be found here. http://www.batlabs.com/images/rib_mod.jpg
twowaytekk

Post by twowaytekk »

After some more tinkering, I'm starting to think Will hit it on the nose. After using three different RIBS, and the "Ribless" cable I'm still getting the same errors. I'm sure the problem is in the cables that I've tried. The computer works perfectly on other radios, as do the ribs. The Spectras power up just fine (minus the error 08/10, which is because the siren amp isn't connected).

Thanks
Mark

Return to “Radio Programming”