2000 Ford Explorer XLT Install

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

alex
Administrator

2000 Ford Explorer XLT Install

Post by alex »

Alrighty. Well, I finally got my truck. (thanks to someone blowing a stop sign at 40 mph, and my dad getting a nice insurance settlement for the car she hit...)

It has the full factory console in it, which I have discovered comes appart pretty easily... I am thinking about mounting stuff directly under the ac/heat controls where the top part comes off, so I wouldn't loose the factory console, or the cup holders. I'd also consider taking the whole console out - I don't sit in the back so those rear heat/ac controls are going to be missed :roll:

I've seen a couple of examples that people have emailed me privatly, but no one i've see has "hacked up" the entire console.

But i'd still like to entertain suggestions.

-Alex
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

I've got a 2001 with the full console and am not looking to tear it up. My idea, which I have yet to try, is to use a panavise mount to bolt on the side, below the console, and then mount a plate or something mounted offset to the other end that provides a place to mount the remote heads. The actual heads would sit, floating, in front of the two junk holders and forward fan/A/C controls. That way I can still access them by either pushing the heads out of the way or reaching around.

It's the cheapest idea I've come upon so far without messing with the console, which I prefer not to remove or modify.
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

That actually doesn't sound like that bad an idea. The only think I would be concerned about is using the actual buttons, and having the control heads not have resistance behind them.

The best Idea I have come up with so far is to remove the junk holder and stack stuff in the console that way. I think that's how I'll end up doing it for the time being, as paying $300-$400 for a full length console doesn't seem to fit into my grand scheme of things.

I have to mount (as of now...)

A9 or W9 spectra VHF
Maxtrac UHF

Maybe another radio or two. I can just squeeze it in there I hope :-D.

Jottodesk seems to make some nice stuff for the 02 explorer, but that doesn't help me.

For now, the UHF maxtrac sits comfortably between the passanger seat and the console.

-Alex
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

I've used these Panavise pedestal mounts for installs and they seem to be pretty solid. Back in the day when I used to install we were using them in Ford Rangers to mount dash mount MCS2000s as the transmission hump was too low and didn't provide an adequate angle for viewing.

I'd end up fashioning a plate out of aluminum or steel to mount a W9 and a W5 head onto. The problem comes with where to mount the scanner; possibly to the pedestal bar so the screen is on its side. Gotta have that scanner!
kens

Post by kens »

We have several Explorers and have found that if you fabricate a U bracket and anchor it to the sides of the console and position it just ahead of the cup holders, radios can be mounted there. The side of the console (passenger's) can also mount control heads if they are small. That is where we position our switches for lighting.
Good luck.
Search

Post by Search »

Ok....I finally got my consolidator installed in my '97 explorer....some 6 hours later LOL. I will try to get pics as soon as my additional brackets arrive. So far the console looks like it is going to be housing a federal signal smartsiren, Kenwood remote head radios- TK630 lowband, TK730 highband, and TK830 UHF. Also going to have an M1225 VHF installed. That and the maplight that I installed on a 1" filler plate seems like it fits nice and snug. I did not damage any of the vehicles center console, just simply took out the black center section of the factory console, and dropped the consolidator on top and secured. What type of devices are you looking to put in your console? You would be amazed how many things a 14" console can accomodate. Email me with any ???. Thanks

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”