XPR 6550 Digital

Moderator: Queue Moderator

gopher

XPR 6550 Digital

Post by gopher »

We are replacing out analog radios with these new XPR 6550
They are currently setup for 2 zones , analog and digital
the analog is in the 400mhz band so i assume the digital is also...
Online i found out the digital is 4FSK Digital Modulation with AMBE++ Digital Vocoder
I dont suppose there is any consumer equipment that can decode this at this time is there?
maelv
What radios do you own?: DP3601

Re: XPR 6550 Digital

Post by maelv »

Hello gopher

The xpr6550 is a part of motorolas new digital radio series called mototrbo and it is a radio system build on an (open) standard from the euro ETSI
and is called DMR = "digital mobile radio" the standard is a 2 slot TDMA system

currently motorola is the only one i know off there is making equipment for this standard
but in the standard there is NOT any infomation about any encryption included in the standard,
but motorola have now in a new firmware upgrade included a basic privacy mode so if that mode is used it is supposedly not as easy to monitor .

i know that someone here on the batlabs there have sold a mototrbo system to a taxi company,
because they were tired off getting there fares hijacked, from other taxi companyes with a scanner

taxi tread= http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.p ... bo#p314575

and also the standard have very manny group id´s one the system and you need to know the id you want monitor.

To your question not i don´t think theres is any consumer equipment that can decode the ETSI systems yet

Maelv...
Jay911

Post by Jay911 »

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this, but I figured I'd check in just in case.

TRBO is not compatible with P25, am I right? And/or the XPR6550 can't do anything but TRBO and analog?

There's a department local to me getting XPRs, in the process of replacing a series of analog VHF repeater sites with a "digital system". The province is scheduled to start up a wide-area, P25, 700MHz network in a couple years, and IIRC this department was told their new system is compatible with the new P25 trunk being planned.

The only known variable at this particular moment is that the XPR6550 is the radio being issued to the fire crews.

Does it sound like they're getting MotoTRBO? And is it not totally incompatible with a P25 trunk?
--j.
libuff

Post by libuff »

TRBO is 100% INCOMPATIBLE with P25 AND P25 TRUNKING!

the are investigating using the TRBO system in an LTR trunking setting. but as far as i know its not available yet, that i may be wrong about...
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

libuff wrote:TRBO is 100% INCOMPATIBLE with P25 AND P25 TRUNKING!

the are investigating using the TRBO system in an LTR trunking setting. but as far as i know its not available yet, that i may be wrong about...
Yeah, they are working on some sort of trunking for the TRBO stuff. I think they are hoping to set something up to give the Smartnet folks something to jump to since they aren't supporting the networks anymore. It seems like a likely progression that they would do LTR/Some single site style trunking solution.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
CAPTLPOL
On Moderation

Post by CAPTLPOL »

Their is mention on this board that a system in MD may be setting up some type of TDMA system on trunking. This may be what you are thinking about in lieu of MotoTRBO.
VoIP BAT-6996
Andre
Batboard $upporter

Post by Andre »

NASCAR is using this XPR 6550 and are operating in "digital" on a few of the channels, the NASCAR Officials even have some sort of encryption.

Return to “MotoTRBO Portables and Mobiles (4xxx/6xxx) 1.0 Series Subscribers”