What is needed for wireline install?

This forum is for discussions regarding System Infrastructure and Related Equipment. This includes but is not limited to repeaters, base stations, consoles, voters, Voice over IP, system design and implementation, and other related topics.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

What radios do you own?: W7 FPP lowband MaraTrac w/AES

What is needed for wireline install?

Post by 007 »

Gang-

I got my hands on a working CentraCom setup that was wirelined into various Micor and MSF base stations. Included in this mess are a couple MSF's, a few punch blocks and all the telco wiring betwixt them. I am going to re-do the twisted pair and 4 wire runs, so what type of telecom products do I need to set this all back up? I know I need a punch block tool but I don't know the name of the rest of the stuff, like the tone generators etc.

This will be a multi-room recreational install with the cabinets in a different room than the RF equipment and the op console in a third room, so I need to be able to put a tone on a wire and sniff it out on the other end...things like that.

I'm not a phone guy, so this stuff is new to me. Point me in the right direction...
Do not make Sig angry...he'll just keep ringing the bell.
RKG

Re: What is needed for wireline install?

Post by RKG »

Here is a highly generalized response, since all consoles are a bit different:

Typically, you need 6 pairs running from each console operator position to the CEB. The easiest way to wire this is to bring the operator position wiring to one side of a so-called "Split 66" telco block that is pre-wired with an RJ-21 connector for a pre-made 25-pair telco cable. Plug such a cable, of sufficient length to run to the CEB, into the block in the OP room, run it to the CEB room and plug the other end into another Split 66 plus RJ-21 block and you have now brought all of your operator position wires to the CEB room.

Typically, console CEB stacks have RJ-21 connectors on their backplanes, which are used to bring the CEB signals out to their own Split 66 blocks. Now, with both sets of 66 blocks on the wall in the CEB room, you can make up your connections with cross-connect wire from the OP blocks to the CEB blocks. Other circuits on the CEB blocks will be used to connect to your radios, remotes, recorders and an endlist list of other stuff.

Be advised, none of this stuff is cheap. The last one I did (a Zetron 4048) required one 66 block for each four channels (pair of Dual Channel Cards), one 66 block for each OP, two blocks for the Aux I/O, and one block for the archive recorder. You'll add two blocks for the first console position (which may be enough for a second position, but not also a third). These blocks are about $50 a piece, retail. Pre-made 25-pair cables are also expensive (about $115 for a 100-footer); in addition to the OP-to-CEB cables, you'll need a bunch (of shorter ones) to run from the backplane of the CEB to the CEB blocks. And, if you go this way, don't scrimp on a punchdown tool.

Return to “Base Stations, Repeaters, General Infrastructure”