kvl3000

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

jaysbuell
New User

kvl3000

Post by jaysbuell »

Can anyone tell how to get started creating an encrytion key? Im kinda of lost here hence the vague question.
Bill_G

Re: kvl3000

Post by Bill_G »

Kind of a thing of the past now that most agencies use OTAR. But, if you need to support older gear, you need to purchase a key loader, and have someone within the agency provide you with valid keys. If you are trying to reuse old govt equip for personal use, you'll be restricted to operating in the clear I think. I have no idea if anyone in the amateur community is generating keys, and loading them into radios just to see how DES works.
N4DES
was KS4VT
What radios do you own?: APX,XTS2500,XTL2500,XTL1500

Post by N4DES »

You might just want to buy the manual from Motorola. It would be easier than someone trying to walk you through it here.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

PM sent w/KVL setup instructions.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Bill_G wrote:Kind of a thing of the past now that most agencies use OTAR.

Ahhh... a KVL3000 is required for a OTAR system. Its definitely not a thing of the past.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

MattSR wrote:
Bill_G wrote:Kind of a thing of the past now that most agencies use OTAR.

Ahhh... a KVL3000 is required for a OTAR system. Its definitely not a thing of the past.
Doh! Shows how often I work with the US agencies these days. Thx Matt.
MattSR

Post by MattSR »

Yeha no worries bill - its used to load the initial keys that encrypt the OTAR messages. The OTAR packets need to be encrypted for obvious reasons, and the mobile radios have whats called a shadow key loaded into them (or KEK if you wanna use P25/TIA terminology)
carterblumeyer
New User

Post by carterblumeyer »

You can still "HandJam" a key with the KVL and dump in the radio in the right CKR Slot. The KEK and stuff is if you intend to use the radio with a OTAR system. You will need to provision the KVL with the KEK and load that into the radio to accept the OTAR request.
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

....and OTAR is mostly sold to the USGOVT as they can afford the arm, leg and my tax dollars easier than my local or state government can :lol:
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”