Maxtrac 300 continuous beep on power up

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

smokeybehr
What radios do you own?: Dozens. Want one? Email me.

Maxtrac 300 continuous beep on power up

Post by smokeybehr »

Is this a PLL out of lock condition? The codeplug that was in it was 100% legit for the radio and model, with nothing odd. The jumpers are all set correctly for the programming, and I can't find anything physically wrong with the radio.

Do I need to do a full alignment on it to make it play nice?
No, I will not fix your computer. Call back during NORMAL business hours.
Jim202

Re: Maxtrac 300 continuous beep on power up

Post by Jim202 »

As in other post, people don't supply the details.

Was the radio playing at any time you have owned it?

Did you make any programming changes?

What is the frequency of the tone you hear?

Is the tone steady or beeping?

If it is beeping, how many beeps is it making?

With no display, the Maxtrac has to indicate what is wrong with it by tones. The frequency of the tones and how it is occurring provide the details.

Haven't gone there in a long time, but you might find some trouble shooting info on either the "batlabs.com" site or the "repeater builder site.

Jim

smokeybehr wrote:Is this a PLL out of lock condition? The codeplug that was in it was 100% legit for the radio and model, with nothing odd. The jumpers are all set correctly for the programming, and I can't find anything physically wrong with the radio.

Do I need to do a full alignment on it to make it play nice?
smokeybehr

Post by smokeybehr »

Full story:

This radio was purchased as part of a large lot of radios County Surplus. When I plugged it in and turned it on for the first time, it gave me a continuous roughly 500hz tone. No POST beep, no beeps to count. No indication of any kind on the display. The radio was programmed exactly like 2 other same model working radios that were in the lot.

I don't appreciate being talked to as if I'm an idiot. I've wrenched on radios for a long time, but I'm not familiar with this model, so I'm looking for a direction to get started before I have to buy a service manual.
RFguy

Post by RFguy »

smokeybehr wrote:I don't appreciate being talked to as if I'm an idiot. I've wrenched on radios for a long time
I wouldn't take it personally. If you have "wrenched" on radios for a long time, you would have to admit the the details that you provided were a bit short of what would be required to give you a valuable answer.
Jim202

Post by Jim202 »

By any chance is the EEPROM in this radio a large black block about 1/4 to 3/8 inch high? If so, I would suspect that you have one of the old program IC units
that had an internal battery and it has died. Your options are to replace it with one of the newer EEPROMS or throw the radio away. I have swapped out the
control board on a couple of these with that problem. My guess is that you have one of the old 5 pin accessory pin type control boards. It may take maxlab
to get it working again. The serial number of the control board needs to match the serial number in the EEPROM when your done.

Don't get bent out of shape because the people on the board here can't help your request for information if you don't provide something to work with. If
you that sensitive, then I would suggest that you read over your posting before you hit the send button. Maybe you can see why we can't help with a
lack of information to work with.

Jim

smokeybehr wrote:Full story:

This radio was purchased as part of a large lot of radios County Surplus. When I plugged it in and turned it on for the first time, it gave me a continuous roughly 500hz tone. No POST beep, no beeps to count. No indication of any kind on the display. The radio was programmed exactly like 2 other same model working radios that were in the lot.

I don't appreciate being talked to as if I'm an idiot. I've wrenched on radios for a long time, but I'm not familiar with this model, so I'm looking for a direction to get started before I have to buy a service manual.
smokeybehr

Post by smokeybehr »

Jim202 wrote:By any chance is the EEPROM in this radio a large black block about 1/4 to 3/8 inch high? If so, I would suspect that you have one of the old program IC units
that had an internal battery and it has died. Your options are to replace it with one of the newer EEPROMS or throw the radio away. I have swapped out the
control board on a couple of these with that problem. My guess is that you have one of the old 5 pin accessory pin type control boards. It may take maxlab
to get it working again. The serial number of the control board needs to match the serial number in the EEPROM when your done.
The EEPROM is a 28 pin socketed DIP with a sticker saying "HLN5569" and "Version 5.34" on it, and a 1990 copyright. It's a 16-pin control board. If it was a 5 pin, I would have sold it off a long time ago. The board is a HLN9131B with a 1992 copyright. The serial number is a TXS vintage.
Satelite

Post by Satelite »

Hello:
You are so close its sorta humorous. ( In a friendly manner )
The prom your looking for is the next one over from the 28 pin you just described.
The prom is a 24 pin in this case and it probably is not the very thick Dallas chip known to be a problem.
Reason i say this is that i dont recall in my years of repairing maxtracs with the 16 pin logic bds ever having that older chip.
But i could very well be wrong on that but i dont think so.
One thing you could try and might steer us and you in the right direction would be to try to read the maxtrac and see if the rss coughs up an error cde between 1 and 58 .
We could look up the error code then and see what it says is wrong.
Thats assuming you can of course.
I looked at my maxtrac repair manual for the radio error tones and for the conventional maxtracs the 500 hz was not listed but a 163 hz was.
The 163 hz error tone is the only tone listed as continuos while radio is on (No PTT requried for alert tone needed)
The service manual claims the problem to be Logig Bd Failure and to refer to the Logig bd section of the manual for truble shooting.
Personaly if you can id blank the logic bd and reiniate and calibrate the logic bd and see if that cures the problem.
Respectfully submitted with hopes of being able to help out.
Satelite
Will

Post by Will »

Sounds like, from what you have posted here, that the information in the EEProm is not correct. You would have to put the original programming data, AKA the "codeplug" back into the radio. If you do not have the archive for that radio/serial number you have to blank and do a reinitialization of the Logic board. And that requires a full realignment with a Service monitor and watt meter.
smokeybehr

Post by smokeybehr »

Finally we're getting somewhere. I'll get on that tomorrow and see what happens.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”