Troops leaving Iraq destroying equipment

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Troops leaving Iraq destroying equipment

Post by N4KVE »

I just saw a news article on the NBC Nightly News that made me have to wipe a tear from my eye. In a month or so, our boys will be leaving Iraq & heading home. Some equipment & troops will be heading to Afghanistan however. Large pieces of metal armor will be cut up into small pieces so it's useless to the rebels. Communication trailers were shown being crushed, but what made me cry was the statement that devices that held frequencies, & encryption codes will be destroyed. They then showed lots of XTS5000's traveling down a conveyor belt being destroyed. OMG! Couldn't they blank the radios, & offer them for sale here? Our US tax dollars at work. I remember when we got out of Viet Nam, seeing perfectly good choppers being pushed off the side of aircraft carriers into the sea. So sad! GARY N4KVE
Al

Re: Troops leaving Iraq destroying equipment

Post by Al »

Same thing happens following any war or U.S. military action on foreign soil. WWII radio stuff was available on the surplus market(stuff that was stocked in this country by the military and bid out) but never used) for 30 years. It's only good tactical to make sure that your armament/communications can't be used by or resold to the enemy now or ever, and it'll probably always be that way.
jbella

Post by jbella »

I'm sure that armor can't be put to good use in Afghanistan, nor could commo equipment be used back here in the States to assist police and fire departments that are using antiquated or unreliable equipment. Another fine example of the entire system in this country being broken, by both "sides."
SYNTORX71MAN
What radios do you own?: Two Tin Cans and a String

Post by SYNTORX71MAN »

Another example of the sins of waste by our government..
When that rope tightens round your neck, You feel the Devil bite your @ss!!
stay-con

Post by stay-con »

N4KVE wrote:They then showed lots of XTS5000's traveling down a conveyor belt being destroyed.
Motorola must be pleased. Not a single one of them is going to make it into the gray market to cut into their profits.

That being said, on the other hand, add the costs of gathering them all up and shipping them back. Then add to that refurbishing them. AND certifying them as to be "good as new" (meaning an officer can trust his life to the radio.) You're getting close to the cost of a new radio and one that hasn't been subjected to all sorts of unknown abuse.

'Cause you know and I know, you're not going to see them in the back of a magazine being sold for $25 each.

Jeff
Emoticons are the wheel chair ramps for the emotionally handicapped.
danneskjold
New User

Post by danneskjold »

I wouldnt think they would even need to go through all of that effort...just sell them in bulk to a dealer or someone like GovLiquidation.
kotaguchi
What radios do you own?: XTS5000

Post by kotaguchi »

I have a feeling that some of the XTS2500,XTS5000 portables will be saved off the conveyors before going into the compacter by Iraq workers and will be hitting the secondary market.Also,some soldiers will have a few I think they will bring back home and will also filter into the secondary market like Ebay for example.

I don't believe enough will hit the secondary market to affect Moto sales but just enough to a see a few more XTS5000,XTS2500 more than normal on places like Ebay.
In Memory of those that serve.

Seal Team Six

Radios I currently own:

2-qty APX7000 UHF R2/700-800MHz M3
Tony.RI
What radios do you own?: HT1k, MT2K, Saber 3, XTS3k

Post by Tony.RI »

Captain Crunch, not just for guns anymore... Image
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

[quote= I think they will bring back home and will also filter into the secondary market like Ebay for example.[/quote]My brother got back from Iraq several months ago. They were searched numerous times every step of the way. There was a 55 gal drum at every site where you could deposit contraband no questions asked, but if you said you had nothing, & they found even a photo of Sadam, you were in serious trouble. GARY N4KVE
videonerd
What radios do you own?: Little Tikes walkie-talkie

Post by videonerd »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp ... 6#38666846

Really.. do you want these?

And really, considering the equipment and gear they've amassed there, one XTS5k is more worthless than a penny.
wkr518

Post by wkr518 »

Didnt see anything beyond sensible in the NBC news featurette posted here. I am glad to see they are making sure nothing falls into "unfriendly" hands that may be used against us in the future.
Those radios looked trashed! Could barely salvage a channel knob it seems from those things.
I have some old icom and vertex I would like to run through the "mutilator",also some midland mobiles.:)
nothing
2wayfreq
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS5000 VHF, M-RK II UHF

Post by 2wayfreq »

They are probably pretty thrashed by the time they get to the crusher. Many have broken knobs and antennas, paint,cracks,electrical tape,epoxy, dirt, gouges etc. Not really worth it. I remember in the first gulf war the officers carried VHF Saber SecureNet-S radios. They had come Comms contractors put itinerant freqs in them of all things i.e. 154.600,154.570,151.625 in the clear.
Radio Tech Troubleshooting Golden Rule #1: Check your connections
nicoledc109
New User

Post by nicoledc109 »

danneskjold wrote:I wouldnt think they would even need to go through all of that effort...just sell them in bulk to a dealer or someone like GovLiquidation.
I also think so.
zackman1801
New User

Post by zackman1801 »

The thing about all of the equipment and armor that has been sent to iraq is its pretty beat up and worn out by now. The wars been going on for a while now and soldiers and the desert climate are not very friendly to radio and other equipment thats been given to them.
But on the other hand the armor should be salvaged as much as possible. A good friend of mine was sent to iraq in the 1st CAV div. with an Abrahms tank. A few days after arriving all of the tanks were parked in a motor-pool and never saw action. they sat their the ENTIRE duration of the war and never moved. Now they will most likely be cut up and destroyed. Why cant the US govt. Take the tanks back to the us the same way that they came over and park them at a motor-pool in the US? who knows? But its always nice to know that our tax dollars are going to be used to buy new ones when their needed.
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Post by Tom in D.C. »

From its inception this thread has been somewhat OT, but now it's gone so far that there is no point in continuing it. Let's stick to Motorola and similar subjects that members can gain knowledge from.

Locked.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”