DAYTON 2011 - Whos in?

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

wazzzzzzzzup
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: XTS3000/astro spectra/

DAYTON 2011 - Whos in?

Post by wazzzzzzzzup »

id like to start the Dayton 2011 thread, can we make this a sticky?

i will definitely be going this year! anyone bringing any P25 repeaters for the grounds for public ham use or does anyone know if a P25 ham repeater exists in that area of the hara arena now?

wazz
think about how to ENCOURAGE Motorola learning safely with GRACE.....NOT condemnation.
wavetar
Administrator

Re: DAYTON 2011 - Whos in?

Post by wavetar »

Stickied 8)
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

wazzzzzzzzup wrote:id like to start the Dayton 2011 thread, can we make this a sticky?

i will definitely be going this year! anyone bringing any P25 repeaters for the grounds for public ham use or does anyone know if a P25 ham repeater exists in that area of the hara arena now?

wazz

Ill be there. Ive thought about throwing a modded set of maxtracs up and allow P25 on it. Wish I had the cash for a Quantar.
Tyler Lewis
KD8GWD
was fordcobra04

Post by KD8GWD »

I'll be there... Also, no P25 repeaters in Dayton yet...
Jay
Batboard $upporter

Post by Jay »

How about TRBO?
DiGiMoTo
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS3Ks, EFJ5100s

Post by DiGiMoTo »

Jay wrote:How about TRBO?
Yep. Check out this link: http://trbo.info/public/repeaterlistings.html
DPL

Post by DPL »

Jay wrote:How about TRBO?
http://www.trbo.info/public/hamvention2010info.html

That link is from last year but I think it's a permanent repeater. I don't have a radio myself, sadly.

If anyone is passing through Columbus, there is a P25 repeater: 443.650 $293/179.9 W8DIG. Doesn't cover in Dayton, though.
desperado
What radios do you own?: Motorola

Post by desperado »

The Central Ohio MotoHeads are of course down.. I think Rick Rock already has the rooms on reserve. Did it about 2 days after Dayton last year.
Keith
CET USMSS
Field Tech
What more can I say
JAYMZ
What radios do you own?: Radar Range

Post by JAYMZ »

I am a definite maybe this year. Depends on my job, may already be traveling then.
JAYMZ

"Mom and dad say I should make my life an example of the principles I believe in. But every time I do, they tell me to stop it."
Calvin
myoung
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Icom, Kenwood,Yaesu

Post by myoung »

Definitely in!
Close the office, drive 45 min, done deal.
The benefits of having moved to Ohio - Ice, Snow, Snow, Snow, oh and HAMvention.

I would like to put up a P25 repeater temporarily for Dayton.

I am new to P25 and that seems like a neat project.
A Quantar is not likely to make the budget but 4 Maxtracs would cover VHF, UHF in a cross band Dual in Dual Out, it has worked well for me on our local club's public service events.
4 Maxtracs, a couple of Duplexers, 50 ft pneumatic mast on the club's trailer - I can do this.
Freq coordination - not gonna be official, OARC doesn't like MOBILE repeaters ;(
I'll start hunting for some freqs to try to avoid interference.
I will need to look into what mods to the maxtracs I'll need to do, Flat Audio is the first thing that comes to mind.
Any help on that will be appreciated.

I don't know if the TRBO by W8AK is up or not, I'll check with Glenn and see.

Mark
N2OJD
kds
New User

Post by kds »

Maybe... should know whether or not I'll take the plunge after I see my next two or three paychecks... would be my first pilgrimage to Dayton.
KG4LHQ

Post by KG4LHQ »

I'm in

Will be bringing my Kenwood TK-5220 and TK-5720 P25 stuff with me.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

I need to see if I can schedule a meeting at our Powell division around that time....

(or if I could just convince the Marketing/Communications director to get a booth....)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Wowbagger wrote:I need to see if I can schedule a meeting at our Powell division around that time....

(or if I could just convince the Marketing/Communications director to get a booth....)
There are lots of hams who are also comm techs... or who want to play P25 and have the financial wherewithal to purchase your gear for a playtoy. (just giving you some excuses :D )

I'm probably out this year. Got some FD training to do and it's hard to justify the vacation time and fuel expenses amidst other competing priorities.
Wowbagger
Aeroflex

Post by Wowbagger »

tvsjr wrote:
Wowbagger wrote:I need to see if I can schedule a meeting at our Powell division around that time....

There are lots of hams who are also comm techs... or who want to play P25 and have the financial wherewithal to purchase your gear for a playtoy. (just giving you some excuses :D )

I'm probably out this year. Got some FD training to do and it's hard to justify the vacation time and fuel expenses amidst other competing priorities.
I've made that point, several times.

Of course, maybe if enough people PM Batlabs board member "Rob Barden" (who also works here, and IS in a position to drive this), giving him any agencies or companies you work for that would be viable leads for us, and telling him you are going to Dayton, that *might* just change his mind (and believe me, you wind Rob up and he is a force of nature!)
This is my opinion, not Aeroflex's.

I WILL NOT give you proprietary information. I make too much money to jeopardize my job.

I AM NOT the Service department: You want official info, manuals, service info, parts, calibration, etc., contact Aeroflex directly, please.
spectragod
What radios do you own?: FPP 6 meter XTL 5K's

Post by spectragod »

tvsjr wrote:

I'm probably out this year. Got some FD training to do and it's hard to justify the vacation time and fuel expenses amidst my new wife telling me I waste enough money on two way gear.

There ya go, I fixed it for you. Just like we all told you last year..... you would never be back..... see, we were right.
Kilgore: Smell that? You smell that?
Lance: What?
Kilgore: Napalm, son. Nothing in the world smells like that.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Post by tvsjr »

spectragod wrote:There ya go, I fixed it for you. Just like we all told you last year..... you would never be back..... see, we were right.
I'll send you some APX pictures to prove you wrong 8)
rc50won
What radios do you own?: Don't ask my wife.

Post by rc50won »

Of course, maybe if enough people PM Batlabs board member "Rob Barden" (who also works here, and IS in a position to drive this), giving him any agencies or companies you work for that would be viable leads for us, and telling him you are going to Dayton, that *might* just change his mind (and believe me, you wind Rob up and he is a force of nature!)
I am sure my company would love to review a 3920.....It would be a nice step up from the 1600S.

I will be there Thursday leaving Saturday around noon.

Marshall
radioinstl
What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

Will be there as usual.

Will have the VHF P25 Quantar up again this year. Same set up as last year.
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

tvsjr wrote:
spectragod wrote:There ya go, I fixed it for you. Just like we all told you last year..... you would never be back..... see, we were right.
I'll send you some APX pictures to prove you wrong 8)
I can send you some APX pictures too. But my wife lets me go. hahaha Just bustin' your balls man, I hope you and your dad can make it again this year.
Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

What radios do you own?: Liberty MBITR APX7000 75000

Post by radioinstl »

tvsjr wrote:
Wowbagger wrote:I'm probably out this year. Got some FD training to do and it's hard to justify the vacation time and fuel expenses amidst other competing priorities.
Dr. Pepper????
spectragod

Post by spectragod »

tvsjr wrote:

Competing priorities = new wife. :lol: :lol:

Post by ka8ypy »

I'm out this year, we will be in Harrisburg, PA selling flashy lights to firefighters that weekend.
Irishfireguy
New User
What radios do you own?: XTS's, MTS's, Spectras, CM300

Post by Irishfireguy »

I live and work in Dayton, so I guess I'm in!
Got ASTRO???
ledzep11
What radios do you own?: MT500 with MODAT

Post by ledzep11 »

Cant wait to be out on the flea market, drinking a cold one, looking for more moto toys....
WB4UMR
racerman1cars

Post by racerman1cars »

I'll be there again. selling Moto toys.
Steve
K4GFN
Steve Humphreys
KG4JNQ
sglass
Batboard $upporter
What radios do you own?: sonic screwdriver

Post by sglass »

count me in
W3ZR
was K3BM
What radios do you own?: MICOM 2/IC7200/FT897

Post by W3ZR »

I'm in... either celebrating my impeding new job, or drowning my sorrows of being stuck behind a desk for another 4 years...

Bob, W3ZR / VE3AO / WQZG526 / PG00047486 & T000000033 + RADAR
KD8GPM
New User

Post by KD8GPM »

I'll be there. Might even have a table with a few other Ham's from Stark County.
Image -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.. . -.- -.. ---.. --. .--. --
KitN1MCC
What radios do you own?: ht1550 XLS,6 MT-1000,

Post by KitN1MCC »

i am out for this year need to use my money to set up my mototrbo system
willbartlett
Batboard $upporter

Post by willbartlett »

I'm in. There Thursday afternoon to Saturday afternoon.

I'll be on 900. What freq is the vhf quantar on?

Will
RADIOMAN2002
What radios do you own?: More than I can count

Post by RADIOMAN2002 »

For the first time in over 15 years I won't be on my T-band UHF or Govt freqs. I'll be dragging along an XPR8400 VHF repeater to set up. It will probably be on one of my agencies national VHF rail channels, or if some one has a suggestion for a repeater pair, slot and color code, I can do that too. Should be there some time around 2 on Friday until 11am Sunday.
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

I'm In-again like Finnigan.

Hotel is booked (Country Inn, Miller Lane), tix are bought and on the way, vacation time approved.
I hope most of all that the weather is reasonable.
See you there!
Cornel
What radios do you own?: MT2100, MTX838, P200, GP300,M1

Post by Cornel »

Hi all,

This year will be my first in Dayton hamvention, among other things I am having question marks about, is the accomodation: what do you think of KNIGHTS INN DAYTON NORTH?

Thanks
jnglmassiv
Batboard $upporter

Post by jnglmassiv »

Cornel,
While I haven't stayed at that particular one, any of the Miller Lane-area places (like the Knights) should be fine. It's a mile or so of hotel strip. Check the map:
Google maps: Miller Lane Dayton hotels

There will be thousands of hams staying in the area and security shouldn't be an issue. There're plenty of restaurants, a Walmart, easy-on-easy-off to two interstates and it's close to the fest grounds. It is a good place to stay. If you don't have a room yet, you may be in trouble. As I mentioned, be at the establishment adjacent.

Keep the batfreqs tuned. Radio traffic gets pretty silly at night.
buhler
New User

Post by buhler »

WV8VFD
was KD8CPP
What radios do you own?: WAY TO MANY

Post by WV8VFD »

jnglmassiv wrote:Cornel,
While I haven't stayed at that particular one, any of the Miller Lane-area places (like the Knights) should be fine. It's a mile or so of hotel strip. Check the map:
Google maps: Miller Lane Dayton hotels

There will be thousands of hams staying in the area and security shouldn't be an issue. There're plenty of restaurants, a Walmart, easy-on-easy-off to two interstates and it's close to the fest grounds. It is a good place to stay. If you don't have a room yet, you may be in trouble. As I mentioned, be at the establishment adjacent.

Keep the batfreqs tuned. Radio traffic gets pretty silly at night.
I have stayed there, and the Days Inn, and didnt have a problem. Older, used rooms, but all they get used for is sleeping (among other things) I am a person that really doesnt care about rooms, as long as they're bullet hole and blood stain free. Then again, it usually gives me a project for my crime scene photography class.

+1 on keeping the batfreqs tuned. It does get fun.
Tyler Lewis
Cornel
What radios do you own?: MT2100, MTX838, P200, GP300,M1

Post by Cornel »

Thank you jnglmassiv, buhler and WV8VFD for your answers. Certainly looking forward to this trip and will have my radio on the whole time....will have d-star capability too...just in case...and good thing that batboard is up and running, was afraid will not be back for a while...
redbeard
What radios do you own?: Motorola, Yaesu

Post by redbeard »

radioinstl wrote:
Dr. Pepper????
I second that!
Look, it's not in my nature to be mysterious. But I can't talk about it and I can't talk about why.
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

After quite many years I will attend Dayton again and will bring UHF P25 radios to talk with others. Some frequencies please? Simplex or repeater. Will bring D-STAR radios along also but prefer P25 :)

Last time I purchased a pile of P25-stuff, would it now be time for TRBO? :)

I do hold a excess VHF 125W quantar but I'm quite sure it's too heavy to take along for this trip. Send me a PM if you're interrested in it.

Erik OH2LAK
--
Erik Finskas OH2LAK
oh2lak@sral.fi
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

It looks like I'll be there Friday and Saturday. I will have UHF P25 for sure and if I can get VHF P25 I'll have that too.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of the members here in person!
For UHF how about 446.495, 293 NAC
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

kb9mqu

Post by kb9mqu »

I will be there Friday for sure, probably Sat and Sunday too. I will have VHF P25.

I'm camping at the Dayton KOA. Anybody else staying there?

Kevin
oh2lak

Post by oh2lak »

bezking wrote:For UHF how about 446.495, 293 NAC
446.495 NAC 293 sounds good. Is that a narrow or wide channel?

Erik
--
Erik Finskas OH2LAK
oh2lak@sral.fi
bezking
What radios do you own?: /\/\

Post by bezking »

Lets call it narrow.
The bandsplit is only a suggestion.

sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

hah hah hah
direct on bw-2
kd8kph
New User

Post by kd8kph »

I'm in, I have space at the flea market for the club. I'll be shopping for my first XTS5K and related accessories.

Should be another fun year.
dawson75
What radios do you own?: the kind you talk on

Post by dawson75 »

WOOO HOOOO!!! Finally after 10 years of wanting to go I FINALLY get the chance! Will be driving up Friday night, and hopefully knocking back a few cold ones on Saturday night!
Hey Redbeard better make a spot on the floor for me to pass out on!!!
sglass
Batboard $upporter

Post by sglass »

kd8kph wrote: I'll be shopping for my first XTS5K and related accessories.

oh really....
I know there will some around
WB4JGI
was whitstu

Post by WB4JGI »

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this year. If anyone is driving through the Chattanooga, TN area I'll have one of my VHF P25 repeaters available for fellow Batlabbers to chat. If anyone is interested in utilizing this repeater feel free to email or PM me.
Last edited by WB4JGI on Thu May 26, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Stu
f1uot

Post by f1uot »

hello,
ok for frequency 446.495 narrow nac 293
we will arrive on Dayton area wednesday evening

see you the next week
bye

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”