New Version "O5" Control Head Questions

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

JeffFireRadio

New Version "O5" Control Head Questions

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Is the circuitry and/or the flex the same between the older (lt. grey) and newer (shadow bronze) O5 control heads? I have both, but thought I'd ask before I open the radios to take a peek for part numbers. If they are the same, other than doing a head-drawer synch, are there any concerns to swapping a newer head on an older (2007) radio? Thanks.

- Jeff
ard099

Re: New Version "O5" Control Head Questions

Post by ard099 »

I haven't seen the "shadow bronze" control head yet, but I have mixed the "black O5" head with the "lt grey" and they work together just fine after a control head sync. Let me know how it turns out if you find out.
akardam

Post by akardam »

"Shadow bronze"? Is that like the mobile version of the Babyphat 5000? Or something perhaps sponsored by a whacky interior decorator?
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

Thanks, all. Well, "shadow bronze" is what M has officially called that color in the past. I, too, thought the new heads with the "O5" label had a black trim until I looked closer. They changed it about a year ago to a really dark charcoal/gray. I also put one next to an XTL2500 head and that really shows you that it is not actually black. So, yes, that is what I'm asking and it looks like you've answered it. I think the new head possibly came about in order to make one head do all (5000, 6500, and 7500 mobiles). ??? That may be why the label says "O5" now and not "XTL5000". I wouldn't have been surprised at all if M had changed the flex, headbridge, etc. while making the upgrade to the new family of radios. So, maybe it all stayed the same. I'd rather ask here than suffer an xx/10 Error from trying it and then paying for a depot trip. Thanks again. - Jeff
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Same guts, new cosmetics.
JeffFireRadio

Post by JeffFireRadio »

I kinda thought you'd be the determining voice on this one. Thanks, Jeff.

- The Other Jeff
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

akardam wrote:"Shadow bronze"? Is that like the mobile version of the Babyphat 5000? Or something perhaps sponsored by a whacky interior decorator?
Moto has several "Shadow" colors... Shadow Plum is the color of the Spectra chassis/plastic, for instance. You can even buy spray paint in those colors... great for refurbs.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”