220 MHz handheld antenna recommendations

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Norman
New User

220 MHz handheld antenna recommendations

Post by Norman »

Hi. I'm interested in locating a flexible 1/4 wave 220 MHz whip antenna with an SMA connector, thread compatible with an HT1000. According to my calculations, it would need to be 13" long. So far, I've only been able to locate a few short base-loaded dual-band and ridged center-loaded tri-band antennas. I've tried Tessco and Larson without success.

Can anyone recommend a source for one?

Thanks,

Norman
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: 220 MHz handheld antenna recommendations

Post by Tom in D.C. »

One of the ham manufacturers (maybe Icom or Yaesu) makes an HT that covers 220 at low power. Whatever antenna is used on that radio would work for you if you used an SMA female/female adapter. That's what I use to make ham SMA connectors, which are all male, work with my Motorola HTs which are also all male SMA. Another option would be cut a 13-inch whip and solder it into a BNC connector, and then use a BNC-to-SMA adapter.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
motorola_otaku

Post by motorola_otaku »

What have you got a hold of that uses a SMA connector? The only handheld 220 radios Motorola ever made (that I'm aware of) were the GP300 and the HT1250, and they both use threaded stud antennas.
Norman
New User

Post by Norman »

Hi guys -- thanks for your replies. I hope no one gets mad that I'm about to mention a concern with non-Motorola radio.

I came close to buying a 220 MHz GP300 but felt that 16 channels was just too limited and passed on it. So for Christmas, I got myself a Wouxun KG-UV3D 144/220 just to explore the band.

The KG-UV3D's antenna connector is SMA. It comes with two antennas -- one's labeled for 216-245 MHz and the other for 245-280 MHz. The stickers are flimsy (fall off easily). In fact, without the labels, they look identical. Unlike Motorola antennas, there is the just slightest bit of blue tint on the base of one of the antennas. The other has no color at all. Other than that, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

These stock antennas are not 1/4 wave -- some kind of base loaded whips (appx. 8") and supposedly "dual-band".

I'm able to use the attach the helical 137-178 MHz antenna from one of my HT1000s but I'd be happier with one tuned specifically for 220. I don't want to use adapters so was hoping to locate a nice 13" flexible 1/4 wave whip with the proper connector. The HTs spend most of their time on my coffee table (not on my belt) so a longer whip with an SMA connector would be welcome.

Norman
WB6YSL
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Norman,

Remember the old adage, "Most shortened antennas stink," then get yourself a piece of 13-inch antenna whip and build the
220 mHz antenna I suggested. Otherwise you're pretty much stuck with the original antenna or a shortened 220 antenna for another
radio which is probably about the same as of the original one. If the radio does indeed sit on a table most of the time you might also want to try putting a counterpoise wire on the setup to give the radio a true dipole, or nearly so.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

The 220 MHz HT1250 uses an SMA antenna like the HT1000.

Part number should be HKAD4000A.

Edit: Reading your follow-up post, i'm not sure that Motorola "SMA" is the same kind as on the Wouxun, i'd do some checking first.
Jake
kato56

Post by kato56 »

The Wouxun has the same connector configuration as the JEDI/XTS, etc. I use my moto antennas on my Wouxun with no issues.
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

motorola_otaku wrote:What have you got a hold of that uses a SMA connector? The only handheld 220 radios Motorola ever made (that I'm aware of) were the GP300 and the HT1250, and they both use threaded stud antennas.

Don't forget about the MOF230:

www.batlabs.com wrote:The MOF 230 radio was made in the USA for a very large custormer, the Indonesian Ministry of Finance, hence the name IMOF that pops up on the display when the radio is powered up. Motorola made about 1200 or so mobiles, Jedi portables and repeaters (2 mobiles and a duplexer) and called them all the MOF 230, with about 150 extras that are floating around the ham population. The software is a Windows based lab version that programs the mobiles and portables. The portable itself operates from 210-270 MHZ but is not really that different from the MT-2000 in operation.

The radio was designed at Motorola's Toronto Engineering group. It is basically a VHF hybird, from the information gleamed from the engineers. The mobile is about 30 Watts.
mike m

Post by mike m »

http://www.smileyantenna.com/product_in ... ucts_id=36

http://www.smileyantenna.com/product_in ... ucts_id=41

you could also try smiley at the link above and see if this will work.

He has most connector/bases available.

Mike
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

The Jedi's use a SF connector. The SMA(f) is very similar and 'sometimes' works but is shorter than the SF and does not fully engage the center pin.
mike m

Post by mike m »

Knowing smiley and since it does say that it's the motorola style, it's probably the correct length SMA-female.
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Actually, the Smiley site appears to offer two different SF connectors, one he calls Motorola and the other Yaesu.
Tom in D.C.
screech67
What radios do you own?: JT/MT1000 Sabers Spectra MSF5K

Post by screech67 »

I recently bought a motorola sma style antenna from Smiley. The center pin is not flush but recessed in the connector, needless to say my JT1000 went deaf. I returned the connector to them with a letter explaining the problem and have not heard back from them yet. The antenna itself if a great product but their adapters could use alot of improvement. I also bought a mx style at the same time and it works fine. My only complaint is that the adapters don't have the same profile as the original antennas and don't offer the same protection as the skirt on the original antenna's.

Mark
W1ACP
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Mark,

Check the Smiley website. Their listing of two types of SF connectors is, I think, something new.
I tried all of my three Smiley adapters on various Motorola units this morning and they all make good
contact with the male pin inside the radio's connector. Perhaps they sent you the wrong variant of
their SF unit.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.
screech67
What radios do you own?: JT/MT1000 Sabers Spectra MSF5K

Post by screech67 »

I specified Motorola, and the package was marked as such, will see what they say. Just curious if your adapters have the pin flush with the bottom of the adapter?

Mark
W1ACP
Tom in D.C.

Post by Tom in D.C. »

Mark,

My last dealing with Smiley was at least three years ago and I was not aware until now that he had ever offered
a choice of any type in the SF connectors. My three adapters all have the pin hole at the very bottom of the
threaded part, so in effect there is no shroud like you get on the Motorola branded antennas. However, the Smiley
antenna makes a good, tight fit with the radio's antenna pin, but the metal part of the connector just sits on top
of the radio's metal antenna connector. Over the years I've gotten together a number of black rubber grommet-type
things to dress up this space and I've found that feed through grommets work well in most cases. Sometimes I cut
the grommet crosswise so that I end up with one that's half as thick as the one I started with.

Regards,
Tom in D.C.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”