Holy Radios Batman!

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

KX5MOT
was JonboyOK
What radios do you own?: Motorola Talkabout 250

Holy Radios Batman!

Post by KX5MOT »

Found this on a Hollywood movie prop photo stream, thought it would be relevant to re-post.

"Archers."
"I beg pardon, sire. Won't we hit our own troops?"
"Yes....but we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves....attack"
Tom in D.C.
What radios do you own?: Progreso soup can with CRT

Re: Holy Radios Batman!

Post by Tom in D.C. »

It looks as if they've "whited out" the Motorola name on most of the units. Interesting. Now someone tell me why so many films still insist on using/showing FRS and similar cheap units when the prop people have "real" radios that can be used.
Tom in D.C.
In 1920, the U.S. Post Office Department ruled
that children may not be sent by parcel post.
d119

Post by d119 »

Is that a legit LAPD Astro Saber I see on one of those shelves? Hmmm....
abbylind
What radios do you own?: What dont I own?

Post by abbylind »

The prop company charges the production for every item they use. Its easy to grab some old FRS radios and use them rather than pay for the props.

Fowler
Q: Does this unit come with a speaker?
A: hello yes its in the radio thanks
N4KVE
What radios do you own?: APX XTS XTL TRBO 900MHZ

Post by N4KVE »

Anyone notice on "Blue Bloods" on Friday night CBS how the Motorola PS mikes have the Motorola decal removed? GARY N4KVE
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

d119 wrote:Is that a legit LAPD Astro Saber I see on one of those shelves? Hmmm....
What makes it legit? The engraving?
d119

Post by d119 »

Just thinking out loud...
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

N4KVE wrote:Anyone notice on "Blue Bloods" on Friday night CBS how the Motorola PS mikes have the Motorola decal removed? GARY N4KVE
Yup, noticed this as well. To me the most glaring innacuracy is the emblem they use on the uniforms and cars which is not genuine plus the commissioner has been in uniform which is innacurate, they are not commissioned and do not wear a uniform.
Getting back on point there was another cop show called Third Watch where the labels would appear and disappear from scene to scene on the speaker mic's.
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

The NYPD commisioner if promoted through the ranks up to commisioner is stil considered sworn and holds police powers. If he is a civillian who is appointed by the mayor then he is not. If the commisioner was promoted through though the ranks has the option to wear the uniform of commisioner.
com501
What radios do you own?: Over 50 - All Motorola

Post by com501 »

JonboyOK wrote:Found this on a Hollywood movie prop photo stream, thought it would be relevant to re-post.

So this is where all those junk eBay radios end up.....
mikegilbert
What radios do you own?: All of them

Post by mikegilbert »

Been watching "White Collar" on USA. This past season, they were using APX7000s 8)
NSPD
What radios do you own?: Motorola FR50!

Post by NSPD »

I see a couple Astro Sabers with red buttons....
Jake
Johnny Grep
What radios do you own?: M/A-COM's

Post by Johnny Grep »

N4KVE wrote:Anyone notice on "Blue Bloods" on Friday night CBS how the Motorola PS mikes have the Motorola decal removed? GARY N4KVE
Yeah, and on the last episode, Danny was calling for back-up on what looked like an XTS3000 *WITHOUT* pushing the PTT. Must be a SP build for the Regan family.
MT2000 man
What radios do you own?: XTS5000R, Astro Saber III, I

Post by MT2000 man »

I was watching that EXACT episode last night ( and I NEVER watch these shows, but I started watching it for the first time last night ) and immediately saw him go and talk on his XTS without his finger being CLOSE to the PTT lol ( the scene where he was transporting the criminal in his blue Wimpala ).

Also, this thread should probably be merged into the "Radios in Movies" thread.
Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

I always love it when they are talking into the belt clip, or hold the radio to their head like a phone.
RadioSouth
Batboard $upporter

Post by RadioSouth »

Really going back Kojack had a Bearcat III scanner with a microphone that he'd talk into.
firetech792

Post by firetech792 »

[quote="RadioSouth"]Really going back Kojack had a Bearcat III scanner with a microphone that he'd talk into.[/quote]

I remember that....
Also on an old episode of Kojak, they were talking on HT220 radios with no antennas!
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Ever watch the shield? Ever see LAPD's special production 800MHz UHF astro sabers? :D
escomm
Queue Moderator

Post by escomm »

Oh yeah and the wire.... visars and GP300s with nextel PTTs ftw
FireCpt809
What radios do you own?: Alot..

Post by FireCpt809 »

escomm wrote:Ever watch the shield? Ever see LAPD's special production 800MHz UHF astro sabers? :D
that wasnt the only thing wrong with the show.. The badges on the wrong side of their shirts?
Pj
What radios do you own?: X9000 thru APX

Post by Pj »

That was after the first season. IIRC it was done to "distance themselves" from good cop groups who thought the show portayed cops in a bad light...so starting with the second season, to the other side it went out of "respect". Something like that.
Lowband radio. The original and non-complicated wide area interoperable communications system
fubb26

Post by fubb26 »

FireCpt809 wrote:The NYPD commisioner if promoted through the ranks up to commisioner is stil considered sworn and holds police powers. If he is a civillian who is appointed by the mayor then he is not. If the commisioner was promoted through though the ranks has the option to wear the uniform of commisioner.

Not true. The police commissioner is a civilian position just as the deputy commissioners are. Their is no uniform for the PC. If the PC held a uniformed rank before being appointed commissioner, they are technically retired when they hold the rank of commissioner or deputy commissioner. Many carry firearms but they carry it under the status of there former rank under their retired status. There is no "sworn" status in the NYPD. it is either called "uniform" or "civilian". Police officers of all ranks are uniform. Traffic agents, school safety agents crossing guards may wear a uniform but they are considered civilians like all other civilians such as PAA, commissioner and deputy commissioner. All police commissioners are appointed by the mayor. There is no promotion. You can rise thru the ranks but you must be appointed to become the PC.
KE7JFF
What radios do you own?: MX300 lunchbox

Post by KE7JFF »

My favorite is the A-Team where they use vintage Kenwood HF rigs as VHF base stations...BUT then show a police car with the proper Motorola radios in....I think Stephen J. Cannell just liked to screw with us :)
Mountain Wave Search & Rescue http://www.mwave.org
Support Search & Rescue: Get Lost!

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”