ASTRO SABER III on EBAY

This forum is dedicated to discussions pertaining specifically to the Motorola ASTRO line of radios (those that use VSELP/IMBE/AMBE), including using digital modulation, digital programming, FlashPort upgrades, etc. If you have general questions please use the General or Programming forums.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

RadioGuyBri

Post by RadioGuyBri »

I am not stirring up any trouble just a simple question. I already own a legit xts-300 which I love but would love to add an astro saber to my collection. The one in reference is this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1709376714 Is it possible that the radio can have this many options in the flashcode 591008-4F1E00-9 without being stolen or hacked. The seller has great feedback and stated this wasn't so, and my question is not to imply anything. Just was curious.
Brian
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

Software encryption in an IMBE radio? I think NOT! It's a basement job beyond any doubt as far as I'm concerned.

You see, software encryption won't work (not properly) in an IMBE radio. That feature works only on VSELP radios, and only ones with appropriate (older) host and DSP firmware.

The rest should be perfectly usable, though.
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

Hi Elroy, While we're on the topic of FlashCodes, I was wondering if you could tell me if the following flashcode looks legit for a Astro Saber 3, CAI compliant radio. Just wanted to be sure as when I was programming the radio the other day I noticed that in the secure area of the CPS rss that I was using, it had the check box available for Software Encryption available. I did check the box and then after programming the radio with this option enabled, It had the keyfail alert show on the radio. Reason that I am asking is because I just read the post you entered with the statement that a true CAI radio cannot have software encryption.

Flashcode is:
591008-4f1e00-9.

If anyone else has insight on this matter, please post a reply.

Thanks
RadioGuyBri

Post by RadioGuyBri »

Chef,
That is the same flashcode that I was questioning in my post. Something seems fishy with it.
Brian
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

Brian, The radio I have works fine, MOdat, MDC Decode, MDC1200, scan, have not noticed any problems with the operation of the radio.

I see all options for Trunking and such enabled also. I do not believe that there is anything wrong with it, but someone like Elroy might be able to tell me (us) how I could go about checking it for sure to make sure that all is "legit" with the unit.

I know the s/n is clean, as I had it ran, but other than that I don't know.

I do know that it is successfully transmitting Astro Digital and talks with other radios on a local system ok.
watchbuddy

Post by watchbuddy »

I am sure that you are not that "Brian" I would love to have you take it for a spin I will ship it to you to try out Now that is very trust these days but thats who I am ! Will wait to here from Brian who left the post.
On 2002-02-27 00:19, RadioGuyBri wrote:
I am not stirring up any trouble just a simple question. I already own a legit xts-300 which I love but would love to add an astro saber to my collection. The one in reference is this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dl ... 1709376714 Is it possible that the radio can have this many options in the flashcode 591008-4F1E00-9 without being stolen or hacked. The seller has great feedback and stated this wasn't so, and my question is not to imply anything. Just was curious.
Brian
Im sorry you are concern about something that anyone can build and guess you would not mention the guy in Riverside, CA that is mass producing these radios which is a ham and he uses a tech who's name is Brian and who also took a XTS3500 Radio from his former employer. Gosh What a mess I assure anyone that that radio which I personaly built is a great radio 100% legal and legit also I bought the flashes on e-bay my self

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: watchbuddy on 2002-03-01 02:04 ]</font>
10-95
Fail 001 "Brain out of Lock"

Post by 10-95 »

You "Bought the flashes on Ebay"???

Is this possible??? someone is selling Astro flash upgrades on ebay??? Did you send them the radio, did you get the new flash options sticker?? This is hard to beleive.

Frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 10-95 on 2002-03-01 20:47 ]</font>
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

watchbuddy, Can you tell us more about the "Riverside, Ca" guy?

I was thinking about buying one of his radios, and you were not too clear about the situation about "him"

Is he legit?, And also you mentioned that he's "mass-producing them"

How would someone mass produce a radio like the astro. Also, I happen to have the same flashcode in my radio as the one mentioned in this thread...Are you saying that it's a bogus flashcode??

Please advise, as I for one was ready to buy one from "that guy" and want to know before I make a good decision/ or a mistake....

THanks very much.
RadioGuyBri

Post by RadioGuyBri »

Watchbuddy,
I am glad you finally joined the board today, nice to have you here.
I have no idea what you are ranting about in Riverside Ca. I am from the NYC area, have bought and sold some items on Ebay, own an xts-3000, not 3500, the only thing you have right is that my name is Brian. As I do when I am interested in purchasing a new radio that is lots of $$ I ask the great people here on the board for info. That flashcode seems fishy, I was really interested in buying the unit. I think you are a little paranoid guy, about what I don't know. I stated I didn't mean to imply anything, I was just looking for info as I am not an expert on flashing and upgrading radios and so forth.
Brian in NYC not Riverside Ca.
watchbuddy

Post by watchbuddy »

On 2002-03-01 21:52, CHEFA2001 wrote:
watchbuddy, Can you tell us more about the "Riverside, Ca" guy?

I was thinking about buying one of his radios, and you were not too clear about the situation about "him"

Is he legit?, And also you mentioned that he's "mass-producing them"

How would someone mass produce a radio like the astro. Also, I happen to have the same flashcode in my radio as the one mentioned in this thread...Are you saying that it's a bogus flashcode??

Please advise, as I for one was ready to buy one from "that guy" and want to know before I make a good decision/ or a mistake....

THanks very much.
Sir Yes He Is Legit And Very Honest I however have questions about his tech???(Dont Know?) He orders parts and builds radios. I however do the same I did purchase some sealed "m"-Vecoders flashed with this BIGG Questionable Flash Numbers All I can say is they work and scream like gang-busters they are fully repairable easily part replaceable and they do just what they say they do!.. So options require a module which I do also have on my boards. I am sure if he offers options he also offers the board installed and hopefully tested fully. Again I am the last person who would question a persons honor but I just state what I personaly know. So good luck if you have any problems with his radio I will be happy to help you out if I can.
watchbuddy

Post by watchbuddy »

On 2002-03-01 20:45, 10-95 wrote:
You "Bought the flashes on Ebay"???

Is this possible??? someone is selling Astro flash upgrades on ebay??? Did you send them the radio, did you get the new flash options sticker?? This is hard to beleive.

Frank

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 10-95 on 2002-03-01 20:47 ]</font>
Hello first Yes You can and their has been alot of sealed flashes for sale on e-bay I however just received two flashes back from "M" which were bad they replaced them and send them right back no questions. They only are out for people playing cop and trying to brack laws Remember the is no law that says you can not listen to digital.!
watchbuddy

Post by watchbuddy »

On 2002-03-01 22:17, RadioGuyBri wrote:
Watchbuddy,
I am glad you finally joined the board today, nice to have you here.
I have no idea what you are ranting about in Riverside Ca. I am from the NYC area, have bought and sold some items on Ebay, own an xts-3000, not 3500, the only thing you have right is that my name is Brian. As I do when I am interested in purchasing a new radio that is lots of $$ I ask the great people here on the board for info. That flashcode seems fishy, I was really interested in buying the unit. I think you are a little paranoid guy, about what I don't know. I stated I didn't mean to imply anything, I was just looking for info as I am not an expert on flashing and upgrading radios and so forth.
Brian in NYC not Riverside Ca.
Wait you got the wrong idea I was informed of your inquiry about the same time as my friend who also is a dealer stated one of his techs stole a radio.. It was fully a coincidense, I am glad to hear abot you researching that makes us very happy to have knollegable buyers. I appoligize it does look like I was directing it to you. However the correct guy did e-mail me and he is returning the radio to his employer. It all turns out in the end. Oh buy the way I trained a number of the techs in Los Angeles, CA and thats funny that is their flash to so much for the bells and wistles that was suppose to make like back six months ago you would get a visit from the ADM from "M" and their security dept It is easy since Uniden came out last week with Apco 25 scanners. Now everybody has it.
Kool Brian & Again Very Sorry If I Can Be Of Any Help PleASE aSK aND about the rantin and raven thats usally my wife.
CHEFA2001
Banned

Post by CHEFA2001 »

Ilove this board.
Ya never know what ya gonna get...Almost like a box of choc-o-latts.....

he he
KD6MHO

Post by KD6MHO »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KD6MHO on 2002-03-04 14:10 ]</font>
Last edited by KD6MHO on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
rmi2065
Batboard $upporter

Post by rmi2065 »

I would like to add to this post, as it has caught my attention. I have had the opertunity and pleasure to deal w/ KD6MHO (Aaron), I bought an Astro from him equipped w/ the flashcode in question. I can assure the radio is a jewel, Aaron was even kind enough to help me w/ a problem I had w/ my MTS2000. It is amazing how a scandal can brew over nothing. My advice to all, if you have reservations over a transaction then leave it be. As far as my dealings w/ the "RVIERSIDE GUY" the were without any problems, and if I had the chance I would do it again!

By the way, Thanks Aaron for your help!!!
Justin
Larry

Post by Larry »

I purchased an astro saber radio on Ebay from the person referred to as the "Riverside Guy" and the radio was exactly as described and everything checked out. Nothing fishy about the radio.... He was a great person to deal with on Ebay and would have no problems dealing with him again.
Elroy Jetson

Post by Elroy Jetson »

I'll just toss this in: The flashcode in question is what is known as a "sore thumb" flashcode because it has so many options in it, and if you were to pay to have all that put in the radio it would cost a BIG chunk of change. It also contains a feature set that isn't officially supposed to be possible according to my inside sources. IMBE and software encryption were never intended to work together.

That's not to say that the firmware might have been revised to make this option set compatible once again, but the rule on software encryption is that it was available on VSELP radios only. Things may change and not every change gets run by me for approval.
:lol:

Even if it WAS a 'basement job', personally I don't really care. You can't be held liable for the firmware package in your radio unless you are the one who put it in there and used illegal software to do it. I would buy a suspected basement job radio without worrying about that. But if it had to go to the depot for service, it may come back with no features...although technically, it is illegal for Motorola to change your feature set in a radio you own without your approval, because you have property rights. They would have to PROVE that the features got in their by an illegal action, and how are they going to prove THAT?

It walked like a duck, it quacked like a duck, and it shat in my pool like a damned dirty duck. So I figured it was a basement job. I may be wrong in this case. Don't get put out by that.

Elroy
KD6MHO

Post by KD6MHO »

^()
Last edited by KD6MHO on Sat Sep 10, 2005 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Twisted_Pear
Batboard $upporter

Post by Twisted_Pear »

I'm agreeing with Elroy. There are other ways to hack radios so they look legit without blowing some off the wall codeplug into the radio or screwing with a codeplug in some way. The problem with this is overloading the radio and giving it more options than it can hold. Once you go and actually use up all the modes the radio will start to act quirky. I've got a radio that's a 512k with no where near those options (Yet still loaded) but I have well over 200+ modes in it and it has a tendency to wig out on programming causing a FL 01/82 (Which I just reprogram and all's well). Why anyone needs *that* many options is beyond me. What's stupid is people will bid like crazy on eBay for'em.

Return to “Legacy Batboard Motorola ASTRO (VSELP/IMBE/AMBE) Equipment Forum”