which power supply do you recomend?

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

Screwed

which power supply do you recomend?

Post by Screwed »

i am looking to hook up
VHF Spectra with remote mount
UHF Spectra with remote mount
Scanner
911ep 28td
flasher strobes

do i need a speaker for each radio or can i use the mic as a speaker? i do not have alot of center console space so i have to make a remote head block so i can mount them next to the center console. and really dont have alot of area to work with
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Err, no, you can't use the mic as a speaker.

And what do you mean, which power supply do we recommend? It's a car, you shouldn't need a power supply...
Screwed

Post by Screwed »

well id prefer not to draw to much power from the vehicles battery
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Ok... You lost me here....

Are you going to drive around with an extension cord dragging behind you, or put a generator in the trunk??

Power Supply = AC to DC conversion. You know, house power to radio power... LOL
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
tvsjr

Post by tvsjr »

Screwed wrote:well id prefer not to draw to much power from the vehicles battery
With that little setup? Not an issue. I still don't know where the "power supply" is coming from... a power supply converts AC to DC (commonly, 115VAC/60Hz to 12VDC) to power DC devices. Your car is already 12VDC - a power supply isn't necessary.

Now, are you talking about a power supply for the strobe tubes?
ffemt1764
What radios do you own?: VHF/UHF MTS 2000...and growing

Post by ffemt1764 »

Yea really, I am using the battery only to run 2 110 watt spectras, a Warn 12000# winch, and quick connect jumper cable setup, 2 Spectra Sirens, my strobe pack, and my mini edge bar...and it doesnt even phase the battery...plus a generator can get kinda pricey unless you plan to run a huge amount of 12v equipment...
Mike L.
KA4EMS
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

Three X9000's, a laptop with docking station and GPS, and a rf modulator to put the laptop audio over the stereo, gotta listen to my mp3 collection while mobile of course.

And sometimes a cell phone charger, a flashlight charger, an HT charger... Not a problem and this is just a wee minivan with stock alternator. Though it is a 100amp unit.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

Screwed wrote:well id prefer not to draw to much power from the vehicles battery
then ditch the 2 spectras, and the strobe pack...

a nice little "Mr Fusion" in the back might help.

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”