fatal error ?

This forum is for discussions regarding all aspects of Motorola radio programming, including hardware, computers, installation and use of RSS/CPS, firmware upgrades, and troubleshooting. There are subforums for discussions of codeplugs, and also for software/firmware release notes and issues.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

nonpulse

fatal error ?

Post by nonpulse »

So here's my delima... after booting into DOS 6.2 and typing in SABER.EXE from my RSS floppy, here's the message I get

fatal error - unable to create configuration file - program aborted

internal stack overflow
system halted

I have a compaq presario 1090es laptop with a 150mhz cpu , 32 meg ram,1.4 gig hd , running windows 98 second edition.

Any ideas what might be going on before I go completely bald ripping my hair out ?
Bruce1807

Post by Bruce1807 »

try running MoSlo
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

Skip MoSlo...it's really junk..Causes too many other problems.

If your PC has an IR port, disable that port and it's associated IRQ.

You can try to run Saber RSS using Win98 DOS, ver. 4.11 as I do without troubles.

The main problem is you usually can't read/write to any of the Genesis radios or Maxtracs due to integer errors and divide overflows.

My laptop is a Compaq LTE5300, PII, 133 with 48 MB memory as well as the CPU cache.

I have no idea as to where the actual limit is as far as CPU speeds go, when the RSS stops working.

If all else fails, run straight DOS 6.22 on reboot in DOS, not Windows.

That may help you get through certain difficulties faster.

Pentium use with older RSS is really a crap shoot, many work fine and many fail, for whatever reason also.
nonpulse

Post by nonpulse »

Yea I tried moslow.... with no luck... still getting a "unable to create config. file " message but now without the internal stack error running moslo...
I'll try disableing that port and dos 4.11 and see how that goes
kb0nly
AKA: The Computer Doctor

Post by kb0nly »

I have been trying to replicate this error and finally found something that causes it. If the floppy is write protected, both holes open versus one being closed by the small sliding lock, it will complain that it can't create the config file.

Also, if the floppy is full or doesn't have enough room, such as making a basic boot disc for DOS and copying the RSS files on it, then it also complains about not being able to create the config file.

I haven't been able to produce the internal stack error though.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

"I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own!" - Adam Savage
nonpulse

Post by nonpulse »

my floppy has one hole closed by the sliding lock, and I'm just trying to boot from the floppy with the RSS

Here's the stupid question of the day..... does the radio/rib need to be connected inorder to open up the RSS ??
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

So the disk with the RSS on it has the DOS as well? I assume you just copied DOS and the RSS to one disk then? It might just be a DOS issue.

No, you don't need the RIB and/or radio connected before running the RSS.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

nonpulse

Post by nonpulse »

kb0nly wrote:So the disk with the RSS on it has the DOS as well? I assume you just copied DOS and the RSS to one disk then?
nope...two seperate floppy's.. one with DOS... the other with RSS
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

Copy the RSS to HD and try it again!

Andreas
nonpulse

Post by nonpulse »

Andreas wrote:Copy the RSS to HD and try it again!

Andreas
tried that..... nothing... I'm at a loss.... thinking it's the laptop
K4RUR

Post by K4RUR »

Check the folder with your RSS in it and make sure the config file is in there. Then open windows and go back to the folder and find the config file. Right click on it and go to properties. See if it is in there as a read only. If it is, un check read only and go back to DOS and see if it works then. I had that happen a time or two.

Let us know if it works,
Lowry K4RUR
"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have. The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

I second the 'search and find' statements as well.

If all the RSS is on a single disk, simply put it in the drive, and at the command prompt type a:dir/w/p as this will bring up all the files on that disk in a wide page view, and you can then look over every file type to see what's stored on it, and the amount of disk space used by the RSS as well.

Config.mot, mot.lbr, saber.exe Etc....
nonpulse

Post by nonpulse »

K4RUR wrote:Check the folder with your RSS in it and make sure the config file is in there. Then open windows and go back to the folder and find the config file. Right click on it and go to properties. See if it is in there as a read only. If it is, un check read only and go back to DOS and see if it works then. I had that happen a time or two.

Let us know if it works,
Lowry K4RUR
success!!!!!!

EDIT: I feel like a f-ing moron ..... thanks for the help!!!!
nonpulse

Post by nonpulse »

freq. range 157 - 174

the majority of the tx freq. I need are in the 153. range, is there a tweek to get down around there ?
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

If the range you require is in the middle of the 150 band, I wonder what your synthesizer's model number is?

If it is the NLD8201x, then you will have troubles getting into the higher end split of the 150 range, you will have to swap that module for the NLD8210x synthesizer, and also check to see the other modules, filters and associated parts are also able to operate in this higher range as well, like the 5-pole filter under U4(receiver) with U5 being attached to the underside(NFD6091/2) with the NFD6092 being for the higher band split.

The F.D.S must also be compared to the frequency range you intend to use the radio on, not to mention the 2-pole filter to the left of the FDS, and also the P.A(NLD8773)(NLD8122(old number).

Once the proper assemblies and modules are in place, you should have no troubles getting the radio to perform very well anywhere from 144-170 Mhz. at the very least.
kb0nly

Post by kb0nly »

So what did it end up being with the RSS? I see you posted Success!, but you didn't mention what caused it.

PS: We were all morons at one time or another when it comes to the darn RSS.

wavetar
Administrator

Post by wavetar »

kb0nly wrote:So what did it end up being with the RSS? I see you posted Success!, but you didn't mention what caused it.

I'm assuming since he quoted the suggestion by K4RUR, that was the fix.

Todd
No trees were harmed in the posting of this message...however an extraordinarily large number of electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

Welcome to the /\/\achine.
nonpulse

Post by nonpulse »

AEC wrote:If the range you require is in the middle of the 150 band, I wonder what your synthesizer's model number is?

If it is the NLD8201x, then you will have troubles getting into the higher end split of the 150 range, you will have to swap that module for the NLD8210x synthesizer, and also check to see the other modules, filters and associated parts are also able to operate in this higher range as well, like the 5-pole filter under U4(receiver) with U5 being attached to the underside(NFD6091/2) with the NFD6092 being for the higher band split.

The F.D.S must also be compared to the frequency range you intend to use the radio on, not to mention the 2-pole filter to the left of the FDS, and also the P.A(NLD8773)(NLD8122(old number).

Once the proper assemblies and modules are in place, you should have no troubles getting the radio to perform very well anywhere from 144-170 Mhz. at the very least.
work related tx freq. are 153.2*** range with an rx of 160.**** is this possible?

how would I go about checking what module/synthesizer I have ???and if I neede to swap them, how difficult is it? and where can I get them?

as far as f.d.s. and filters... I dunno??
kb0nly wrote:So what did it end up being with the RSS? I see you posted Success!, but you didn't mention what caused it.

the files were "read only" :roll:
Andreas
What radios do you own?: radios

Post by Andreas »

You can find some examples for RSS out of band modifications on my homepage (german only).Another way is to try,to program the radio with a 146-174 MHz default codeplug.This will often works too.

Andreas
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

All the internal modules have model numbers printed on them.

The synthesizer has the number located on the bottom of it, near the rear or center, you can't miss it.

The Receiver(U4) has the number printed on the top.

The F.D.S has the number printed on the outside of the cover, facing the frame of the radio.

The 2-pole filter has its number printed on top or on the side of the cover.

The P.A has its number printed on the frame side as well, so you would have to remove the three screws retaining it, with two on the frame and one on the board, underneath the rear cover.

Once you remove this, you can also remove the synthesizer(VCO) from the board as the cover's two center screws also retain this module.

Always be careful when removing or installing the modules due to the fragile nature of the pins as they will bend very easily if pressure is exerted and the pins are not aligned.

The torque for the cover screws as well as the modules are 2 inch pounds.

The case spanner nuts have a 6 inch pound torque rating.

nonpulse

Post by nonpulse »

Thanks AEC... all your help and taking the time to post is much appreciated...as well as your descriptions being awesome!

I worked the Bugs out of it last night and everythings working perfect without changing the synth. or anything else (dumb f*****g luck!) but I'm going to save your posts for future refrence... Thanks again!!
Last edited by nonpulse on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
AEC
No Longer Registered

Post by AEC »

My pleasure!

I am always willing to assist any way I can.

Return to “Radio Programming”