2006 FORD EXPLORER CONSOLE WITH RADIO INSTALLED

This forum is dedicated to helping people with questions about installing radio equipment in vehicles. This can include antenna installs, electrical wiring questions/problems, and mounting systems. Pictures of installs are welcome.

Note: Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other equipment now has its own forum in the 'off-topic' section below.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

12 Volts

2006 FORD EXPLORER CONSOLE WITH RADIO INSTALLED

Post by 12 Volts »

Here are some pictures i took of my explorer. I installed my radio's but no lights yet still thinking what i could put in there. Here are the radio's i installed motorola spectra 800mhz with motorola spectra siren deck, motorola cdm 1250 uhf uniden bc796 scanner motorola cdm 1250 vhf. The 3 antenna's on the roof are vhf, uhf, 800 and the scanner antenna is in the rear window. I also cut 4 switch's in the over head bazel for the lighting. let me know what you think... Thanks

[/img]Image
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
[/img]Image
Image[/img]
[/img]Image
kjfswkr

very nice

Post by kjfswkr »

Looks real good on your install.

Kevin
Jim202

Re: very nice

Post by Jim202 »

Whose console did you use?

How did you get the panels the radios are mounted in?

Did you make the panel cutouts yourself?

Looks clean and neat.

Jim
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

Console does look good... I've had a couple of the 06/07 explorers over the past couple of months for work, and I've wondered how they could even be remotly useable by any level of emergency services with respect to equipment installations.

While I hate the shifter in the middle, the console looks good - except that 3/4 of the radios... aren't in your line of vision, or your ability to quickly look at them.

That would really be my only complaint.

-Alex
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
thebigphish
What radios do you own?: AM/FM

Post by thebigphish »

that is a nice install...as the owner of a '02, i am REALLY glad that i don't have that bastard-floor shifter that all you 'newer' guys have. I looked at the images, and i kind of agree with alex...if that were my job, i would switch the 1250 & the Astro (as the scanner & other radios don't have mic leads on them - i would relegate them to the back part of the cluster). That is some nice work...and i had the same idea for my install of the light switches - except i have that stupid door opener doohickey in mine. I took that door off, back-bolted a piece of black-matte plastic to it in the same shape as the door, and mounted the switches thru that. This way, i don't have to sit there and fight with dremel-ling out the switches in a door cover....and should i remove them later, or change to a floor console (all my stuff is hidden right now) - i can just pop the door back on, and let it cover up the still un-used door opener.

And all of this is possible because i am too much of a cheap-ass to buy a garage door opener.
borisf

Post by borisf »

Nice install.

Those 1250s look like ugly toys compared to the Spectra. :o
copcarguy

nice job

Post by copcarguy »

Nice jotto desk console. They do a pretty good job with their faceplates too. They did have a recall on that console, something with the park shift brake interlock. Just make sure yours doesn't have a recall on it. Good job :D
ab
What radios do you own?: G40

Post by ab »

Good job, but order an armrest to complete it.

Once you get your muscle memory going with arm on the rest ,you can adjust your vol. control quicky on your radios without looking.

If the antenna clicks on the window,just put an old earpiece foam on it.

Again, good job

ab
Luke

Post by Luke »

Can you tell us what kind of antenna's you have up there? The darker color seems to hide the antenna's a little more. Where did you get em?
"Powder To The People"
nickburns186

Post by nickburns186 »

alex wrote:Console does look good... I've had a couple of the 06/07 explorers over the past couple of months for work, and I've wondered how they could even be remotly useable by any level of emergency services with respect to equipment installations.

While I hate the shifter in the middle, the console looks good - except that 3/4 of the radios... aren't in your line of vision, or your ability to quickly look at them.

That would really be my only complaint.

-Alex
Works out pretty well actually. Have ours in a supervisor vehicle with a Gamber laptop mount and they love it. I had the same thoughts as you Alex at first but it seems to work well.
motastro1

Post by motastro1 »

What radio is the antenna in the back window for and how well does that work? I am looking at doing that with my 97 Explorer but haven't found out if it works very well. It looks really good though!
witthoft
What radios do you own?: 4 Kenwood TK-880's

Re: 2006 FORD EXPLORER CONSOLE WITH RADIO INSTALLED

Post by witthoft »

12 Volts wrote: The 3 antenna's on the roof are vhf, uhf, 800 and the scanner antenna is in the rear window.
Just read his post and you shall find out.....
Tools on board-- Duct tape and Baling wire
motastro1

Post by motastro1 »

Guess I should have read the post again and I would have found it. So how well does the scanner antenna work being inside the vehicle?
RES347CUE

Post by RES347CUE »

Very nice looks very clean i like the set up

Return to “Vehicle Radio Installs”