MX7000 modification/upgrade question

Discussions regarding lighting, sirens, and other PS/Emergency response equipment can be had within this forum.

Discussions regarding legalities of lights, usages, and different state laws and regulations regarding warning equipment are not permitted.
See the announcement inside the forum for more details.

Moderator: Queue Moderator

motorolamaniac

MX7000 modification/upgrade question

Post by motorolamaniac »

I am about to make a factory modification to an NOS MX7000 light bar I bought many years ago. I have a used MX with an arrowstick (8 lamp) and would like to take the stick from that one to put in the NOS unit. The NOS bar has rear flashers and four takedowns in the front. I plan on moving the rear flashers to the front and moving a pair of the takedowns to the center pod and then adding the arrowstick to the rear of the NOS bar. Heres the big question before I start removing the rotators and deck divider is there enough slack in the wiring to allow the removal of the flashers from rear to front and also move the takedowns to the center? I also noticed that the New bar has adjustable alley's and would need to be exchanged for the non adjustable variety in the old bar so the arrowstcik filters and circuit boards will fit (at least this is my guess) I just do not want to waste time disassembling two units only to find that I cannot make the upgrades. I am doing all this with the hopes of selling the NOS bar as fully optioned. From what I have observed in a partial teardown of one side of the bar there are simple quick connects on each light so wiring does not look to be a huge issue.

Any help is appreciated,

Jeff
Rick Rock

Re: MX7000 modification/upgrade question

Post by Rick Rock »

MX7000s are VERY easy to wire, and you can always change out the wire for a longer one when needed. the most fun is making sure the wires are clear when you put the upper plates back on the channel! Just a little extra, you can swap out the new bars' slow rotator motors with the older bars' high speed so you have all high speed rotators! I personally also went with clear domes and colored rotator filters for more light output, if that is an option!
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us
alex
Administrator

Post by alex »

One thing you do have to be mindful of is the fact that those bars can draw a lot of amperage.... So be mindful of that as you build and change your bar around, I'd hat to see someone blow up an alternator.
The Radio Information Board: http://www.radioinfoboard.com
Your source for information on: Harris/Ma-Comm/EFJ/RELM/Kenwood/ICOM/Thales, equipment.
motorolamaniac

Post by motorolamaniac »

Actually yes you are right and I have my Ford Explorer test vehicle to prove it. Hooking it up to the battery only to test the bar proved to cause a MAJOR drain on the battery with the vehicle running. I had all accessories running at once but needless to say the person who was planning on buying this bar from me when its done will not be buying it now. The Chevy pickup he has suffers from some minor electrical problems to start with. My suggestion to him was to buy a smaller Responder II mini bar or the like. I know that the individual would not be willing to upgrade the truck to include a better battery and HD alternator and breaker setup, especially since hed also add strobes to the marker lights, a siren and rear facing lights in the cap.

As far as wiring, I did take it upon myself to disassemble one pod of the bar and did find it an easy task, the biggest PITA will be running the cable for the arrowstick through the channel and through the hole underneath.

Thanks all,
Jeff
motorolamaniac

Re: MX7000 modification/upgrade complete

Post by motorolamaniac »

Just finished the modifications today and considering I did it myself and the bar actually all works is no small feat. It really did go easy, just made sure to test everything one step at a time befor it all was put back together and something didnt work. Did think that the rotators were not wired right then realized the deck divider had to be screwed down to ground it out. Other than that it all works. If I can do it anyone can do it.

Jeff
Rick Rock

Post by Rick Rock »

Dang grounding issues, they'll get you everytime!!!!!!
The Batlounge admin
http://www.batlounge.us

Return to “Vehicle Warning Equipment Discussion”