GP300 Gang Charger Power Supply problem

The General forum is where users can discuss any topic regarding Motorola communications equipment - hardware, software, etc. There are also several focused forums on this board, so please take the time to ensure that your questions doesn't fall into one of those categories before posting here!

Moderator: Queue Moderator

kc0cdg

GP300 Gang Charger Power Supply problem

Post by kc0cdg »

Anyone ever had any problems with the power supplys for the GP300 gang chargers (HTN9748)? I've got two of them that are blowing fuses when they are not plugged into the charger base. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced issues with these to kind of help pinpoint a cause.

If anyone knows where to get a schematic or even replacement ones, that may also be helpful. Thanks again.

Brad Ziegler, KC0CDG
Will

Re: GP300 Gang Charger Power Supply problem

Post by Will »

Sounds like the Astec power supply in the plastic housing??? If so, NO service information is available....

We have tried to repair them, but no 'joy'.

Photo of power supply in this posting: http://batboard.batlabs.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=76317
DPL

Post by DPL »

Had one that blew fuses. Something got cooked inside. In the trash it went.

If you save the cable you can probably wire it to another power supply; if you search the board I think you will find good replacement recommendations.

It's a shame they picked such a stinky power supply.
kc0cdg

Post by kc0cdg »

Yep... both were the Astec power supplies.... crappy things they were. Have some good gang chargers and not looking to pay $150.00 for a power supply for them (I can buy single chargers for less than that)..... oh well....

Thanks for your thoughts, guys....
Will

Post by Will »

Any 12 volt power supply will work. For 6 chargers you need a 9 amp power supply.
Karfield

Post by Karfield »

Just a side note about those power supplies. Although I haven't chosen to get really into them they do tend to have their "coils" pop loose from the board. Thought usually that'll just cause the thing to HUM when you plug it in, not blow the fuses. After that I toss them and beg for a new one.
cablemonkey

Post by cablemonkey »

You might want to check the bridge rectifier and see if it's shorted. I've seen this in a lot of cheapo supplies where this part is undersized and fails with heavy usage.

Return to “General Motorola Solutions & Legacy Radio Discussion”